TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bio Oil questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bio Oil questions

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I've seen a few members her mention bio oil and I have a few questions.

I had a lot of weight fluctuation when I was younger and as a result I have my share of stretch marks. Mostly on my thighs and breasts but some across my low back and hips too. Being pregnant I'm afraid they will only get worse or multiply. Well, my mom got me some Bio Oil which mot only claims to prevent stretch marks but also to reduce the appearance of existing ones.

All that said, I have a very hard time remembering to do ANYTHING twice a day so I want to know if anyone here has had results from using it. How often and how long did you use it? If I know (from people other than the product web site) that it does work, I might me more inclined to get into the habit of it.
post #2 of 14
My mum and MIL swear by it. I know for my scar, it really reduced the redness and helped flatten it. I became dependent on it as I found my skin dried out a bit hours after applying it, so I had to keep reapplying it twice a day so it wouldn't get dry.

As soon as my new scar fades, I plan to start using it again because I do believe it helps. I think it would be great for stretch marks, and is definitely worth a try.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
I remember reading about you having to use it all the time. I'm a little worried about that. Right now I use it when I get out of the shower. I did this morning and my skin still feel all soft and hydrated. Can't hurt to try I suppose but I'm impatient and the idea of having to use it twice a day for 3 months to see results.. well...
post #4 of 14
Yeah I'm hopeless at that too Initially I only did it once a day, and I started getting results just from that. I don't think I even used it for a full month, and I noticed a difference. Start with once a day, then you can always reapply if you do feel a bit dry.
post #5 of 14
The scars from my surgery are ugly - they're raised so they still sting/itch/hurt when anything touches them. I wonder if this would help get them to go down? Would it work in someone who may have a genetic factor causing odd scaring? (I'm hypermobile, it tends to affect skin to some degree in most who have it)

And for those already using it, how strongly scented is it? Anything in it that may bother very sensitive skin?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Yeah I'm hopeless at that too Initially I only did it once a day, and I started getting results just from that. I don't think I even used it for a full month, and I noticed a difference. Start with once a day, then you can always reapply if you do feel a bit dry.
That's encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
The scars from my surgery are ugly - they're raised so they still sting/itch/hurt when anything touches them. I wonder if this would help get them to go down? Would it work in someone who may have a genetic factor causing odd scaring? (I'm hypermobile, it tends to affect skin to some degree in most who have it)

And for those already using it, how strongly scented is it? Anything in it that may bother very sensitive skin?
It is scented but I have sensitive skin and it doesn't bother me. Plus, the scent seems to wear off quite quickly.
post #7 of 14
I have tried it but don't use it often because I can't stand the smell of it. I have really sensitive skin and it never bothers my skin. I just think it smells gross. I haven't used it enough to see any results.
post #8 of 14
When I was pregnant my doctor told me if I had the type of skin that would get stretch marks that I would get them even if I used an oil to massage into my skin. Hopefully this oil will make a liar out of him and help you.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
My mum and MIL swear by it. I know for my scar, it really reduced the redness and helped flatten it. I became dependent on it as I found my skin dried out a bit hours after applying it, so I had to keep reapplying it twice a day so it wouldn't get dry.

As soon as my new scar fades, I plan to start using it again because I do believe it helps. I think it would be great for stretch marks, and is definitely worth a try.
Sarah, does it work on old scars? I've tried it once before and i ended up giving up. Know how hard it is to remember each day to take the same vitamins and things? I have two scars from my femoral osteotomy. The one on the inside from my hip down to my pubic bone is long but has faded really well. But then i have this really ugly one on the outside of my leg about 13cm long and almost an inch wide, i had the op when i was 5, so it's been growing for the last 20 years almost. That's the one i'm insecure about, especially when i go swimming, and i'm wondering if it is or isn't too late to try something on it.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover19 View Post
I have tried it but don't use it often because I can't stand the smell of it. I have really sensitive skin and it never bothers my skin. I just think it smells gross. I haven't used it enough to see any results.
Chances are I couldn't either, then. I'm hyper sensitive to smells, so if it smelled bad to you I'd probably end up gagging from it.


No one should be insecure about their scars. The majority of people don't care or even notice since they're usually wrapped up in whatever they're doing. And if they're petty enough to make snide remarks, just remember life usually has a way of coming back to bite a person in the butt - so to speak. They'll probably end up with a scar from something or other during the course of their lifetime.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
No one should be insecure about their scars.
Let me guess - you don't have a big scar in an obvious place?

I have a love/hate relationship with my scar. I am proud of it and what I've been through, but I also hate people staring, or the thought of people staring.

The other good thing to try for scars are silicon sheets. You wear them at night, and they are pretty amazing. The only work once the scar is fully healed, so it's definitely worth a try for old scars. There's a link here - http://www.scarheal.com/scarfxsiliconesheet3x5.aspx

I like the Bio-Oil and think it's worth a try.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
The other good thing to try for scars are silicon sheets. You wear them at night, and they are pretty amazing. The only work once the scar is fully healed, so it's definitely worth a try for old scars.
They look really interesting, but being that it would be stuck on the side of my leg and i toss and turn alot, i wonder if it would stay on the night?

Going by google there don't seem to be any Aussie sites for them =\\
post #13 of 14
Try going to the local chemists and asking them, and also try natural foods type shops. Surely they'll be around somewhere!
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well, working or not, I LOVE the way it makes my skin feel. I've started using it on the becks of my arms too where I get really dry patchy skin because of the cold weather. So, even if it doesn't minimize my stretch marks it definitely makes my skin feel very soft and nice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bio Oil questions