Sisters! Aaaarrrggghhh! (rant -long)

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I just want to smack my sister. She just can't make a purely generous offer. It is not in her nature.

I am the primary caregiver to our elderly mother. My sister teaches at a local university. She has her winter break the last week in February. She said, I will come in and look after Mom so you and Doug (BF) can go away for a few days. But now... now... the strings are starting. I said which days can you give me, she says.. what days do you want. So I tell her... well, can't you go in the middle of the week? Uh, you want a decent ticket price or not burn through huge frequent flier points, yeah,, you need a Saturday night in there somewhere.

My other option was to go with a girlfriend who can only go that third weekend b/c of HER boss' schedule.

Well, now.. she has to talk to her ex about taking the kids.. and talk to her boyfriend about it... And can't you go THESE days instead of THESE OTHER days....yada, yada, yada.

You know, MY boyfriend has given up a lot since I decided to move in here with Mom. We have no privacy on the weekends, but he is doing this b/c I asked him and he knows its the right thing to do. He also lives about 35 miles away.. so it's not like we can just pop over to his place for some personal time.

So am I going to go with my girlfriend ... my boyfriend, but ONLY on the days that Leslie designates? I knew this would happen.

I feel like I am at her mercy. It is very expensive to hire someone to come in at night... I would need 12 hour shifts. 8 pm to 8 am. So she says she wants to help, but not really and ONLY on her terms and ONLY if she doesn't have to really sacrifice anything, like an evening alone with her BF.

She does this "fly-fishing" routine all of the time... casting out an offer and then reeling it in bit by bit until it isn't much of an offer or not very appealing to me. I think she wants me to say, forget it, Leslie. Then she can say I'm the impossible one. Sigh......

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do we have the same sister?!

Seriously, I feel bad that your sister does this to you. On the other hand, I can't see MY sister even making the offer. I hope you can get this squared away with her; most people don't realize how much goes into being a caregiver. You deserve a break. I think if it were me, I'd take whichever days your sister is going to give you---and don't let her back out.
Good luck.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as though you have always let her get away with that behaviour in the past so it's only natural she'll expect to get away with it now.

If you want anything to change you will need to stand up for yourself and insist that she come through on her promise. Tell her if she can't make it the days you have scheduled off that she will have to arrange for someone to come in in her stead and she'll need to pay for it. There are just some people that will take advantage of others but nobody can take advantage of us unless we allow them to.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My brother and sister (who incidentally is named Leslie also...) LOVE to do this sort of thing. Because when you get tired of playing their little games and tell them to forget it then they can come back later with the “Well I OFFERED…â€

I understand its very frustrating!!! I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have any words of encouragement or advice though… Good luck dealing with her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It sounds as though you have always let her get away with that behaviour in the past so it's only natural she'll expect to get away with it now.

If you want anything to change you will need to stand up for yourself and insist that she come through on her promise. Tell her if she can't make it the days you have scheduled off that she will have to arrange for someone to come in in her stead and she'll need to pay for it. There are just some people that will take advantage of others but nobody can take advantage of us unless we allow them to.
I don't disagree with you. The whole family has had a lifetime of dealing with my sister. She is willing to give me the time... but she plays these power/controlling games. In this case, making it seem like i'm the unreasonable one. She will only spell me off when it is convenient for HER! And yes, I have threatened to take time off and send both siblings the bill. But I'm the one who would have to find someone to stay with Mom. If I say to my sister, why don't you come in and interview people then it gets put back on me - where do I call, who do I call, when is this and that available, etc. In other words, I should do the leg work and she would just come in to talk to people. So she makes it so unpleasant that I give up and then I am being *itchy and huffy.

Instead of saying - I can come in the last weekend of the month and give you three nights, she was playing this game of when do YOU want to go, with me knowing FULL WELL, that she could come back to me and say, well I can't do it then. So I gave her two options... then she starts in with .. well I have to check with my ex and check with my boyfriend and see who can stay with the kids (who are 15 and 18 btw not babies!!!) - basically making her arrangements MY PROBLEM!! I don't care WHAT arrangements you have to make --- just tell me yes/no ... this weekend or not... and then take care of it. Don't unload this crap on me!!!

Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

My brother and sister (who incidentally is named Leslie also...) LOVE to do this sort of thing. Because when you get tired of playing their little games and tell them to forget it then they can come back later with the “Well I OFFERED…”

I understand its very frustrating!!! I don’t have any words of encouragement or advice though… Good luck dealing with her!
Boy that is exactly right!

My brother and I both know she cannot be depended on b/c she is too selfish and self-centered. And controlling. It's so hard-wired into her personality... and tangling with her is often so unpleasant that I can't deal with it. I have enough on me already.