Is coat color significant to behavior?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No home has been found for the kitten someone dumped out at DH's brother's business, so we're thinking about taking her in. She's a calico. I was wondering if coat color has anything to do with a cat's behavior characteristics?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. There are a lot of exceptions. However, tortoiseshells and calico sometimes have a "tortitude" attitude. Its more fiesty, mouthy and dominate type of attitude. I've owned several torties and calicos and they all tended to be a lot more bossy to other cats.

I love them with their splashy colors but would really rather have a male then a female

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I *have* seen at least one book citing a study that found that coat color can be linked to behavior (if you want more info, let me know, and I'll see if I can find the reference). I'm sure however that, as Goldenkitty suggests, there are always exceptions. For example, the few torties I've known personally definitely had "tortitude," but I'm sure there are numerous members here who would tell you that theirs are the sweetest cats in the world!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats and here is a pic of the one with a attitude.
I did have 1 calico that did not have a attidue and her name was Butterscotch.
This is Meeko who has is nice but has a attitude at times.
I would still take her though.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well for one, the true calico or tortoise shell with black are always female. I personally have always found most females to have a bit more "cattitude" regardless of coloring. Maia is a tabby and completely full of it! In the past I have had a tortie short hair who was the sweetest kitty to all, as well as Sweety who was a long hair tortie and at times the most stubborn but loving kitty ever! More importantly every cat is different and will adapt to their environment, just remember to give lots of love and support!

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kasey is our tortie.

She has a bit of the tortie attitude with the other cats. I don't know if that is due to coat colour or pre-rescue life.

Even at her age, of 8 to 10 years, she is very playfull.

I told a bit about here here;

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184623

She is a very affectionate cat and has basically imprinted on me. She does not like it when I leave the house on an eveneing, weekend or vaction day (it seems leaving for work is OK). The odd thing is, I started to make a joke of telling her I was going and my wife says she settles down and doesn't meow when I leave, if I tell her I am going.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, neither of my current tri-color cats have the infamous 'tortitude'. Firefox, of course, is 'junior' to everyone else - she does occasionally get into it w/Cable, Java, or Pixel [that latter usually follows some mutual grooming] but she just LOVES big brother Chip! i personally think it's just 'cause she still quite young.

Java, otoh, has no 'tortitude' whatsoever - she's very submissive, for the most part, a very sweet-natured girl.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only calico in the past (ingeniously named Cali
) was a very loving, cuddly, sweet cat.

It was our silver tabby who had all the attitude in the house.

So it's not a done deal that a calico has a 'tude.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

My only calico in the past (ingeniously named Cali
) was a very loving, cuddly, sweet cat.

It was our silver tabby who had all the attitude in the house.

So it's not a done deal that a calico has a 'tude.
it's the silver tabby in my house that has 'tude, as well!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia would like to de-bunk the idea that color relates to attitude. She's solid white & has attitude a mile high!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ophelia would like to de-bunk the idea that color relates to attitude. She's solid white & has attitude a mile high!
Ah, but white is a masking colour she could be any colour underneath that.

I remember reading that all cats are black or red, other colours are variations on that and white masks all colours.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you've all heard this from me before but Daphne doesn't have the 'tude. She is sweet, loving, silly, playful and so very smart. When I get another cat, maybe the "female" attitude will come out but it hasn't yet.

Does this look like an attitude face?

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Harley's black.....and she has tons of attitude. She has her moments where she is sweet and cuddly, and then she has moments where I swear I live with an 8-lb wild panther instead of a cat.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The female cats Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve had experience with have always seemed to be a bit more temperamental than males, regardless of color. I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t say they were bad pets, just different personalities. Perhaps calicos/torties get the wrap for having attitude simply because they are all female?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been a professional pet sitter for over 10 years. It's my experience that the accusation that calico's can be feisty is a often true! I once heard a breeder say that it's the red hair gene. You know like red-headed humans are considered feisty too. Still, that's a broad generalization. I know one calico who stands out as one of the sweetest cats I've ever met, and I've met a LOT of cats.

I wouldn't let coat color play a role in the adoption process. Personality is where it's at.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I've been a professional pet sitter for over 10 years. It's my experience that the accusation that calico's can be feisty is a often true! I once heard a breeder say that it's the red hair gene. You know like red-headed humans are considered feisty too. Still, that's a broad generalization. I know one calico who stands out as one of the sweetest cats I've ever met, and I've met a LOT of cats.

I wouldn't let coat color play a role in the adoption process. Personality is where it's at.
Boy I would second that. I've seen all kinds in rescue.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard say many times that orange male tabbies are the sweetest and most lovable cats and so far I have found this to be true. My three ginger boys are complete love bugs. They actually compete to be in my lap and at times they all just try to pile in my lap.

My black kitten is just like was said up above... one minute he is full of love and affection and the next minute he is base jumping off the bookcase, knocking over anything that is not nailed down and using the SO and me as his personal climbing posts. My almost senior boy is a solid black as well and he has calmed down for the most part but still seems to find it necessary to cause mischief every once in a while.

My girl is a brown tabby and she has more attitude than a room full 13 year old girls. We call her our little erm... rhymes with witch
She only wants to be pet when its on her terms and if you try to pet her and she wants none of it she gives this sharp meow as if to say "how dare you touch me when I didn't give you permission." She does love my SO though. I think its because he just lets her sit next to him and leaves her alone.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You beat me Amanda - its very possible that she is a tortie or calico under all that white. My Odd-Eye White Rex was a tortie under there and she had a tortie attitude!