Trapped pregnant feral....Now What?

finwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had been feeding this pregnant kitty. I thought that I would trap her, and take her to the Vet and have a kitty abortion. But, the vet says that it is best not to do it when she is so far along. So, I have her in a downstairs bathroom. She will eat and use the litter box, but she is so scared and hides in her box during the day. It's been five days, and she is getting to feel a bit better. I really have no idea how long before she has these babies. She looks really big to me. After the kittens come how can I care for them if she is so afraid? How do I handle them when they get old enough? At least I know she is much better off in my bathroom eating and drinking and staying warm than out in the cold weather trying to take care of a litter of babies, but I do need some advice.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Finwood. Welcome to TCS. It's like that she will know what to do when she goes into labor. That said, she may need an assist.

Here is a link that may help:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659

Also, try posting your question on the pregnant cat and kitten forum.

Does this cat have fleas? If so, they could pose a problem for momma and newborns. Ask the vet if there is anything you can do about it. I am speculating that you cannot handle her cuz she's feral.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you afford, Feliway diffuser could be a good help, giving her more feel of comfort and safety.

Many rescuers did helped high pregnant females. Peculiar enough, it seems they usually do accept the situation. Even being helped with labor. AND the kittens being handled and fostered by the rescuer, as long the human is careful, easy and of course non threatening.

It seems cat mothers, like human mothers, first priority is the wellfare of their children, NOT "freedom".

With any luck, it should go OK for your and your protegÃ[emoji]169[/emoji].

Good luck
Tx for your helping the cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

finwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't noticed her scratching. I buy Advantage from entirelypets.com for my other two cats, and have some on hand, but I don't know if I could get it on her. Where do I get the Feliway. Could I get that from entirelypets.com, and do you just put it on food? Should I try to pet her? I talk to her softly while I'm changing the litter, and filling the water and food. I get down on her level, keep my hands clenched, and don't stare her in the eye...all things that I have been reading on other sites, but I haven't tried to touch her. She does some meowing. Is this a good sign?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by finwood

I haven't noticed her scratching. I buy Advantage from entirelypets.com for my other two cats, and have some on hand, but I don't know if I could get it on her. Where do I get the Feliway. Could I get that from entirelypets.com, and do you just put it on food? Should I try to pet her? I talk to her softly while I'm changing the litter, and filling the water and food. I get down on her level, keep my hands clenched, and don't stare her in the eye...all things that I have been reading on other sites, but I haven't tried to touch her. She does some meowing. Is this a good sign?
You are doing very well! You have a very good approach too!

About deworming and deparasiting. Didnt the vet gave any advices when you talked with him? Did he made a medical check up? If yes, he did probably already gave her something. Perhaps an allround-spot on??
Her not scratching is a good sign, but ferals do usually have some parasites. So very good you have her for herself, not with your own cats. (LATER on, you will probably get good help from your cats in fostering the mom too. But it is another story).
I myself know too little for sure to give advices about high-pregnant cats and using dewormers and deparasiters on them.
Hope others will fill in. I will try to search some too.
Advantage as such isnt bad, made by a prestigious medical industry. But if it is good or enough for her I dont know.

Yes, you can get Feliway electrical diffuser from entirelypets. Use the search. In Sweden we do usually buy it from vet or Apothece (=the medical drugstore). There may be also other places to buy from??, perhaps also cheaper.
Feliway diffuser you set in the electrical wall socket. Works about 6 weeks, after it you set in a fill in.
You are perhaps thinking about dr Bach´s drops? Known also as Bachs Rescue remedy? This you can give with food or water. May be useful, although I believe more in Feliway.
Feliway is used for an allround feeling of security and "being home".

There is also another one similiar preparate, the Felifriend, in spray, used when you shall handle a afraid or very nervous cat. Veterinarians and exhibitions judges uses it sometimes.
It could be useful if you think you should help her deliver. (But she will do it herself... dont worry).

Very good she has a nice box to hide in some. This does much to lessen on the stress. Does she have a scratching post?
Ferals usually dont play, but it cant hurt with some toys.

See she feels comfortable and safe. No extra unnecessary stresses. Avoid barking dogs nearby, shouting children, preferably not other cats - unless VERY friendly. (but she is in quarantene now, right).

I think you should begin to make a nest where she will deliver and also nurse her kittens.
If her time is nearing, she will feel better knowing everything is ready. She wants a nice, cosy and safe place to give birth in. And she will not be worried as if you build the nest in the last moment...

I think some meowing is a very good sign. Meowing = communication. They dont communicate with a prey or an enemy. Thus, it is surely some sort of trying to make friends.

I shall return, keep coming with questions and keep us updated!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may or may not have fleas even if she isn't scratching. Worms, most likely. There is I think at least one med you can use on a pregger female... the reason I brought this up specifically is that fleas give tapeworms and can also threaten the life of little kittens by the amount of blood they take.

Ask the vet.

Feliway is a plug in diffuser - like Glade plug ins air deoderizer, only you can't smell it -- the cat can. It is "happy" hormones. Don't know if you can get it at the site you mentioned.. but it can be purchased through the Internet and at big box pet stores.

Stefan is right in that meowing is something cats use to communicate with humans.

Everything that you're going is good. If you do make eye contact with her - blink your eyes slowly... close.....(hold)... open... repeat. then look away- you know drop your gaze. Those blinks are cat sign language for I"m a friend and I won't hurt you. She may even return the favor.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about a wind up clock (the ones that tick) or a radio with soft music playing. Could you make her up a box with some nice warm cozy blankets or towels to give birth in? Something with 3 sides would probably make her a little more comfortable

finwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found the feliway on the entirelypets.com website. So, soon she will be so calm and content she won't care if there is this huge monster coming into her room.

I have made her another box. This one has a 6" X 6" door cut into the side. I put shredded newspapers in it, so that she can snuggle down into them. I can open the flaps on the top if necessary. And I do have a radio going softly all the time. Sometimes it is playing country, sometimes a talk show, and last Sunday she got a sermon.

The bathroom has a large window made out of glass blocks. There is a 10" ledge where yesterday she spent her time snoozing in the sunshine. This morning though, she was in her newspaper box. However, she meowed at me when I came in.

I'm hoping the babies will come soon. I appreciate the suggestions and information that you all are giving me.

finwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After almost two weeks, I decided to take Little Grey Kitty to the Vet to be spayed....Kittens or no Kittens. When the Vet called to come and get her, she informed me that it was a Tom cat, and that he had been neutered. I turned him loose this morning, and wow! he was out and a block away within 5 seconds.

I know why I trapped him.. I have another little stray cat that actually does have kittens. She is more friendly and lets me pet her. But, she had these babies under a house about a block away. I go up there and feed her every morning. And, I knew if I didn't get this one in, that I would never be able to get to the kittens.

Little Stripey Momma has 5 kittens, I think, judging by the nipples being used. They are different ages. She didn't have them all at once. The last couple of mornings, I have seen 3. One is about 5 weeks old and he is really bold and will come right out and eat with his Momma. The other two look to be about 4 weeks. They keep running back under the house. I am sitting about 12 feet away. But, I think there are a couple more that may be only 3 weeks. My plan is to get to the point where I can catch all of the babies, and bring them with Stripey Momma back to the bathroom. After weaning, she will get spayed and babies will be found a new home.