The "Say Cheese" Poll

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not about photography.

I was getting hungry, so I made myself a corned beef & provolone cheese sandwich.
It got me to thinking about all the different kinds of cheeses there are, and which one I like the best. It's a tough call, b/c I like most of them.
But I would have to say my very favorite is probably smoked provoline, or co-jack.

Did you ever notice that cheese tastes better when it's warm?

Which is your favorite cheese?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cheese. I once told someone that I could move to France and live on cheese and french bread. They gave me a semi disgusted look and proceeded to tell me how impossible that would be (as far as nutrition goes etc
)
I think Camembert would probably be my favorite. At room temperature.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So hard to pick one

I LOVE most cheeses.... one notable exception is anything 'old'. I'm not fussy on those.

I love Havarati
I don't buy it often because of price, but ohhhhhh so yummy.

Geez thanks
Now I want some yummy cheeses.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mmmm. I love corned beef and provolone sandwiches. But for my favorite cheese, I had to choose pepperjack.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Provolone, but not the sandwich kind, the kind you get in a big chunk at an Italian deli
I second that! I love eating it with a glass of heavy cream. My second choice would be bleu cheese, followed by Monterray Jack.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really love goat (Chevre) cheese, soft goat cheese. I prefer homemade from a local import store I shop at. You can take the little squares of cheese and fry them in olive oil and eat with either crusty bread or flat bread and it is delicious!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, if i HAD to choose ONLY one
it'd be parmesan. but i voted for everything except co-jack [which i'll eat if that's all there is, but only then].
on a side note - Central Market used to carry this really SUPERB cheese that was made in a monastery... called something like Abbey? anyway, the monastery is no more, & neither is the
that was my very favorite.
oh, really aged gouda is great, too - the older, the better!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cheddar - the sharper the better or some of the custom flavors like applewood smoked cheddar or garlic cheddar, etc Tillamook makes great cheddar and Pepper Jack

I also love Blue Cheese - Rogue Creamery makes an excellent smoky blue and their Crater Lake Blue is soooo yummy

Feta is a great cheese - I like peppercorn feta the best

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could live on cheese!

I can't really say I have only one favorite though; my favorites are pepper jack, cheddar, blue cheese, provolone (the big hunk of the sharp Italian one), and monterey jack. I occasionally get this marinated mozzarella that's to die for, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I could live on cheese!

Cheese, and the french bread that MonaxLisa was talking about.

I could almost put cheese on ice cream!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Cheese, and the french bread that MonaxLisa was talking about.

I could almost put cheese on ice cream!
hey, if you use mascarpone, it would even taste good! i've had mascarpone ice cream - B&J used to make one.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always been a cheddar girl. It's just been bright yellow cheddar (never American Cheese, though: I've never even been able to eat it as an emergency ration) until very recently. When cheese prices started going up a little over a year ago, I started looking around more carefully. I discovered, that with the increased prices (cheap things, which are mostly transportation costs, went up proportionally more than more expensive things which were mostly ingredient or time costs), really good cheese was getting closer and closer in price to normal cheese.

Just last month I became a devotee of both the "New Zealand Cheddar" ($5/pound) and the "Dubliner Cheese" (7$/pound) at Trader Joe's. The New Zealand Cheddar is the first non-died cheddar I've really paid a lot of attention to. Previously, I thought of cheddar as standard, non-fancy, simple cheese that was always died. I now see that cheddar can be a fairly fancy cheese.

And I'd never heard of the Dubliner, but I tried it, and I was absolutely hooked. Interestingly enough, it's I think the only hard cheese I've ever had that tastes just as good cold as at room temperature (although it does taste a wee bit different at the two temperatures).

I did a Parmesan cheese taste test last year, where I bought an authentic Parmigiano-Reggiano that was $14/pound, a cheaper Parmesan still from Italy that was $10/pound, and a made-in-America Parmesan that was $7/pound. I could taste the difference, but I still really liked the $7/pound version, and that's what I've been buying since. But I've not deigned to buy any pre-grated Parmesan stuff since I did the Parmesan taste-test.

I also make my own cheese. It's fantastically easy, and also delicious. I don't cure the cheese I make: I just use it as fresh cheese. I use this fantastically easy recipe, where I heat a half gallon of milk on the stove, stir it, and, once it gets to good and bubbling, add a quart of buttermilk and stir. Then I toss a bit of salt in, and pour it through cheese cloth, wring it, tie it up, and let it drip for about two hours. Then I put it in the fridge and use it the next day. When I first made the fresh cheese I was a wee bit disappointed, because it was pretty darn bland, and it wasn't fantastic as fresh cheese on a salad or to just eat. But I got this fantastic recipe for an Indian fried cheese dish (there are many different ones, this one has tomatoes and is my dearest love and companion), and I love my fried cheese.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted cheddar, especially on a cheeseburger, but I'm not exclusive to that.

I love fresh mozzarella in the summer with basil, tomato, basalmic vinegar and really good olive oil plus a chunk of crusty bread!

I like the fine Italian aged cheeses, like Parmesan.

I like goat cheese. ( with roasted veggies or in an omelette!)

I like feta - salads and spinach, onion and tomato omelettes.

I like an aged Spanish cheese called Manchego, which to me, is even better than Parmesan. My mom is addicted and I have to buy her big chunks at Costco - they sell the 6 mo. version. I like the 12 mo. aged better, but hey, it's about half the price.

I like Brie or Camembert with fig preserves on top.

I like fresh Ricotta cheese with fresh fruit on it!!! (Whole Foods' version is wonderful!)

I like many, many other cheeses. But I don't eat them very often because of the fat and salt content.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

hey, if you use mascarpone, it would even taste good! i've had mascarpone ice cream - B&J used to make one.
Mmmmm!
I'll bet you that would taste good! I had never heard of it before.

Some peeps put a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie with a scoop of ice cream. I've never done it myself, but I'll bet it's good. So why not ice cream, too?

All this talk of cheese has got me craving it again!

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't like cheese, so I have no favorite. :")

I showed my boyfriend this thread, and he said his favorite is mozzarella.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It totally depends how it's being used. I love all cheese, but let's be clear that does not include the processed garbage we get on this continent, some of which has so little actual cheese in it that it has to be labelled "processed cheese food".

If I had to choose one and never have another again, that would be sooooo difficult. Cheddar -- good extra old white Quebec or Ontario cheddar -- the only thing for macaroni and cheese, or apple pie, but wrong for a ham and cheese sandwich. That needs to be one of the Swiss varieties or something equally nutty. Along with good bread, I'd rather have Camembert or Brie, or one of the blues, or better still, Cambozola. With fruit, Oka is to die for. And all of these are wrongwrongwrong for any Greek or Italian situation. Feta, Parmesan, Mozzarella...

OK, I'm going to stop now. I've barely scratched the surface, and even with a full belly, I'm craving...