Are You A "Hunt & Peck" Keyboarder...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or do you use the keyboard in the proper way?

I use it the correct way, but I'm not nearly as fast as I once was.
I've also recently developed the annoying habit of 'reversing' letters: like a D & a K, or an E & an I. It's so frustrating!
I have to proofread everything!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a keyboard normally. I proof-read everything dad types up - it's my un-official/un-paid job.

newkittylove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I type the normal way and pretty quickly, though I re-read everything a lot just in case. I think it comes from my tape transcribing days... heh!

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I type the normal way, thank god - I watch my b/f type & he doesn't know how to type & it takes him forever & a day!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
What on earth is hunt and peck typing?

Once i've finished typing i will proofread to fix any errors. I don't normally make alot unless i'm typing a HUUGE rant, or my keyboard needs cleaning

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I type the normal way and am pretty fast. I proofread everything first.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I type normally. My dad is one of those hunt and peck typers, it is so funny to watch.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I type normally. I get my wires crossed sometimes too, though, especially when I'm typing and doing something else at the same time. My 'favorite' is using other contractions. "I'm" instead of "I'd", etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

What on earth is hunt and peck typing?
"Hunt & Peck" is when you use only 1 or 2 fingers to type everything out.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I type the normal way which is why hubby always has me write his emails.
My s/o always "bribes" me into typing up his stuff, too.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is funny! Eric annoys the "bleep" out of me by hunting and pecking on the key board!
He actually runs his fingers down the keyboard while typing, sounding as if he's typing very fast, but this is not so!!!!!!!! It takes him for ever to type a letter while actually creating noise pollution!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I do type, I type properly.

But for the most part, I use a voice software program as I have a hand/arm disability.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I type the normal way...sometimes one-handed if there's a cat on me.

Which is even more difficult to do, when you're switching back & forth between the keyboard & the mouse.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Hunt and Peck" means you have to look at the keys hence the "hunt" and that you don't use all of your fingers sitting on the home, so your one or two fingers move fairly large distances around the keyboard, hence the "peck".

In between touch typing and hunt & peck I think of there being a land of "lift & look". You use all of your fingers, and your fingers are sitting in the right place, and you probably know all of the letters under your fingers, but you aren't sure about the others, and sometimes you might be confused about the letters under your fingers. Therefore you look at the keyboard regularly and you lift up your fingers sometimes (especially to look at the row of keys closer to you than the home row) and go slower than real touch typing.

My spouse has a severed radial nerve on his right hand (thankfully, he was left handed before the car accident), and types with only one hand. Therefore it is almost by definition hunt & peck. It's certainly pecking, because the pointer finger on his left hand really gets around. It's not so much hunting, because he hardly looks down and if he looks down it's because he doesn't have a good enough map of the geometry of the keyboard in his brain, not because he's not sure where a particular key is. I've suggested I buy him a one-handed left hand curved keyboard, where he can reach all of the keys with his one good hand, but he's disinterested in re-learning where all of the keys are.

Just because I like nerdyness, I wish I knew the Dvorak keyboard, but I was trained on QWERTY, and QWERTY touch typing is what I do.

What I don't get is all of those phone text messengers who use the number keypad with multiple letters assigned to each number to text all day. I'm a "hunt and give up" on that system. It simply doesn't seem worth it to compose an entire message like that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Or do you use the keyboard in the proper way?

I use it the correct way, but I'm not nearly as fast as I once was.
i'm not as fast as i used to be. otoh, i can type w/o looking at the keyboard [have posted many times w/a cat in front of my face! altho i do usually proof it]. i also tend not to use capitals, because i typed for 15 years on a keyboard that only used caps, & i got out of the habit.