How did your cats come to adopt you

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Growing up, I never owned a cat. My dog was getting up in age and we figured he wouldn't be with us much longer. My mom always said she didn't like cats. My brother had some cats living near him and they had kittens. My mom decided she would get me a kitten. We got her on Halloween and I named her Hallie Winnie.
Later on, we got her brother. He since has passed away.
A few years later we got two sisters, Callie and Baby. They weren't suppose to stay. I was watching them for a former friend while he got settle in a new apt. and he never came back to get them. I didn't plan on giving them back anyway.
I fall in love too easily. My mom loves my kitties now.

So how did your babies adopt you?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this could take a while!

Our oldest, 8 y/o Hannah started hanging around our yard last October. She was wearing a collar (with a bell) so I figured she belong somewhere. After a couple of weeks had gone by, I spied her eating bread I'd thrown out for the birds. I took her some food & water, made a shelter for her, and tried my best to find her a home. A week and a half later, when the weather took a turn for the worse, I decided she needed me. She's been with us for only 2 months.

Six y/o Jack lived 2 doors down for over a year and roamed the neighborhood all that time. When his 'owners' moved they left Jack behind. I brought him in one day when it was sleeting and he's been here ever since.

Rufus is 4 y/o and was also a stray. Another stray who had been coming around off and on for at least 5 years showed up with a kitten one day. The kitten was sooooo skittish, it took me days to even get near him. We finally decided to adopt him; we brought him in and never saw "Scaredy Cat' (that was the stray) again.

Katie is almost 3 and came from the same apartment house that Jack was from. Her owner had her spayed, put a flea collar on her, and sent her out to roam---still with the stitches in her belly. When he moved away and left Katie behind I had to bring her in.

Charlotte and Bridget are almost 3 y/o littermates. A lady DH used to work with asked if he would like to give a kitten a home, and he told her to bring the 2 she had by our house so I could pick one. ONE?! There was no way I could separate those precious little girls. (I wonder if DH knew I'd take both of them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Our oldest, 8 y/o Hannah started hanging around our yard last October. She was wearing a collar (with a bell) so I figured she belong somewhere. After a couple of weeks had gone by, I spied her eating bread I'd thrown out for the birds. I took her some food & water, made a shelter for her, and tried my best to find her a home. A week and a half later, when the weather took a turn for the worse, I decided she needed me. She's been with us for only 2 months.

Six y/o Jack lived 2 doors down for over a year and roamed the neighborhood all that time. When his 'owners' moved they left Jack behind. I brought him in one day when it was sleeting and he's been here ever since.

Rufus is 4 y/o and was also a stray. Another stray who had been coming around off and on for at least 5 years showed up with a kitten one day. The kitten was sooooo skittish, it took me days to even get near him. We finally decided to adopt him; we brought him in and never saw "Scaredy Cat' (that was the stray) again.

Katie is almost 3 and came from the same apartment house that Jack was from. Her owner had her spayed, put a flea collar on her, and sent her out to roam---still with the stitches in her belly. When he moved away and left Katie behind I had to bring her in.

Charlotte and Bridget are almost 3 y/o littermates. A lady DH used to work with asked if he would like to give a kitten a home, and he told her to bring the 2 she had by our house so I could pick one. ONE?! There was no way I could separate those precious little girls. (I wonder if DH knew I'd take both of them?
Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your babies.

I think your kitties knew where to come. And there's no way your DH could possibly think you would only take one cat. Especially when they are littermates.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine were born to the farm kitties (all the kitties are not fixed) - going to be euthanized at the shelter - or otherwise needed someplace to go (a few foster failures).

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Mine were born to the farm kitties (all the kitties are not fixed) - going to be euthanized at the shelter - or otherwise needed someplace to go (a few foster failures).
I love your kitties. Especially Dorky Fish. How did he get that name?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

That's why I'm gonna do the "short" version (as short as possible, that is!.
)/

Maverick & Gabriel adopted me from the local humane society back in Wisconsin. I brought them with me when I moved to Texas.

Geronimo, Winchester, Spencer, Salem, Jinxy, Ricochet, Cassidy, & Chiquita are all "Texans".
I got Winchester from a friend of mine, who found him abandoned by the side of the road after some
threw him out a car window.
She didn't want any more cats, so I took him.

Geronimo adopted me from the vet's office, when we went to pick Winchester up after having him neutered. Winchester needed another play buddy after our puppy Gizmo died. I figured I had better take Geronimo b/c no one else probably would. The peeps at the vet's office called him Lucifer, b/c he was such a little devil.
I told them he just had issues.

My s/o brought Spencer home from work one day: the poor guy was being mistreated in his workplace parking lot, and was so hungry he was eating cigarette butts.
What's so funny about Spencer's adopting us is the fact that my s/o told me "NO MORE CATS!" after we got Geronimo, and he was the one bringing Spencer home!

Salem was a neighbor's cat who wasn't being taken care of properly, and showed up on our doorstep pregnant again b/c those jerks wouldn't get her spayed.
So I "stole" her, and brought her in to have her babies where she would be safe. Hence came Jinxy, Ricochet, Cassidy, & Chiquita.

Did I miss anyone?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

I love your kitties. Especially Dorky Fish. How did he get that name?
His official name is Dorian Grey - after the Oscar Wilde book. Dorky Fish - well he's a dork!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww. So he really is a "special" kitty.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Lucky on my front lawn. only an hour or so old.
Where she came from. She is now about 20 months old. Gus was a feral kitten, His Mom was a semi-feral girl I had been feeding for a while. A feral tom was trying to kill him. So I grabbed him, stuffed him in the basement. Now he is a sweet snuggle boy. He is about 16 months old. It is possible they have the same Mother.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Tigger crossed the bridge, we went to adopt two kittens. When we got to the SPCA there were two tiny ~8 week old kittens going NUTS in their cages when we walked by. Every time we came near the cages, they would reach out and grab us with their little claws. They literally grabbed our hearts
That was Monte & Katina.

After Monte crossed the bridge last June, we waited until August to adopt a friend for Katina. We went to a different SPCA, since all the kitties at the one we got Monte & Katina at had URIs and were under quarantine. We found this cute, all black 10-12wk old kitten doing acrobatics in the cage. We asked to see the kitten, and he slumped in our arms and started purring. And that's how Nero found his forever home.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

So how did your babies adopt you?
Pixel & her littermate,
Mouse i adopted 11 years ago from a lady who lives in the town where i teach. Cable was found @ approximately 8 weeks of age in the road in front of the school where i teach. Java was in the parking lot there. Chip was adopted [via Petfinder ad] from a humane society about an hour's drive from where i live. Firefox was a sickly kitten born of one of the ferals in the area - i found her in the backyard, so out of it i had to push her out of the way w/the screen door before i could get out [all of the other kittens ran away, FAST!].
all are named after computer-related items.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for sharing your stories. I enjoy reading all of them. Such lucky kitties to have you, and you them.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. But we all know how that works.

I've always been an animal person, but I never had cats growing up. I had an assortment of just about everything else (fish, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, mice, birds) though. I had a beagle mix named Kibbles up until 7 years ago, who was the love of my life and left the biggest hole in my heart when I had to have her pts.

My first cat showed up on my windowsill one winter - a small black cat with gold eyes. I still had my dog at the time who was hit-and-miss with cats; some she adored (like the Maine Coon around the corner from me...they were best buds), and some she wanted to chase. But I couldn't let this cat freeze outside, so I brought her in. Her and the dog completely ignored each other, and she made herself right at home. She even slept in my bed....with the dog. I kept her for about a month and a half and I managed to find her a wonderful forever home with a friend of mine.

Fast forward to last year. I had an orange tabby tomcat show up on my porch. He made himself quite at home in one of the chairs I had out there. In all honesty, I really didn't want a cat. I had just started thinking that maybe I was ready for another dog. I did feel sorry for him, though and fed him. At least I knew he was getting a meal somewhere. He obviously was someone's cat at one time because he was in far too good a shape to be a long-time stray. And far too friendly! This went on for almost a month. I called all the local shelters. I put ads on craigslist, in the paper...everywhere trying to find his owner. Nothing. None of the cat rescues would take him. I thought about taking him in, but I wasn't really 100% sure about it. And then, it started to get cold. There was one night that it was going to dip below freezing. My husband (who is allergic to cats) told me to let the cat in the house. Snickers made himself right at home, endeared himself to my son by practically taking a bath with him, and that was the end of that. For a week. Sadly, Snickers managed to get out the front door, and I wasn't fast enough to catch him. By the time I got down the stairs and out to the front of the house, it was too late. He'd been hit by a car on the corner. I scooped him up in my arms and took him to the ER vet (he purred the whole way there in my lap, as bad as he was), but his injuries were too severe. I did the most merciful thing I could and put him to sleep. My son (who'll be 4 tomorrow) was absolutely devastated. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I found out about Harley not even a week later. I'd been looking for a kitten to replace Snickers, but none of the people I was contacting with cats and kittens were bothering to return my calls and emails. But a friend of someone my husband works with was "getting rid of" a cat. Something about her moving and not being able to take one of her two cats with her. This cat was already an adult (4 years old), supposedly had been around small children, and was a lap kitty. So my hubby went to look at her. And called me an hour later, with this pitiful meowing going on at the other end of the phone, to tell me he was coming home with a cat. He brings home this skinny, skittish, tiny black cat...who was shaking like a leaf. She promptly hid under my bed the second she got in the door. I managed to bribe her out with a can of cat food and a lot of talking. It took her 3 days to start following me around the house like a puppy, and about a week and a half to finally sit down in my lap and let me touch her. Once she did that, she just melted. Three months later, you'd never know she was the same scrawny not-so-well-taken-care-of cat.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! You really shortened that one.
Just kidding!

I'm sorry about Snickers.
You were meant to have Harley. It usually takes a little bribing and loving to get them to come around.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Similar to others who lost a loved one and found a new family member, I will try to keep this short
!
We lost Sweety 3 years ago, it was a very sudden and emotional tragedy for all involved. For me it was especially difficult loosing her, but even more so eventually finding another BFKFE (Best Friend Kitty For Ever). It took me 7 months and a blessing of a Craigslist thread to find Maia! I responded to a thread for kittens 45 minutes after posting, spoke to them seconds later, and went to meet my beloved Maia the next day! I waited at a train station entrance for 40 minutes when a guy walked up to me with a duffel bag holding 2 kittens. One tiny female (Maia) and her brother .......I picked Maia up and she clung to my neck, wouldn't let go! That was it, there was no question, she was the one I was taking home! The rest is history in the making!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BFKFE. I love that! They truly are our BFKFE's!

That's so sweet that she clung to your neck. She chose you!

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pooch was a baby of a neighborhood stray cat. We took him in when he was probably around two weeks old.

Luke's mother was a stray as well. We took the mother inside the house because she looked about due. Sure enough, the next morning, she had the kittens, and Luke was one of them. So I guess Luke wasn't ever a "stray" cat. It was amazing that I saw him born!!

Kelly was a stray. She was approximately two months when we adopted her. She loved us at first sight, and we loved her back. =)

luvmykitkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just joined yesterday, but I am always up to talking about my cats to anyone who is willing to listen. And like everyone else who loves to talk about their cats, this is going to take a while!

Sam, my oldest, adopted me in October 2007 when he was only 2 months old. I have loved cats all my life but had only had pet cats outdoors because my dad never wanted animals in the house. Since I was out on my own at this point and lived in a pet-friendly apartment with our German Shepherd, I decided it was time to adopt a kitten, so I visited a local animal hospital who had a litter of kittens that someone had dropped off. When I called the hospital to tell them that I was interested in adopting one, they said that they had a few girls and one little boy that no one wanted to adopt. For some odd reason, no one wanted a boy. He had just been neutered and was ready to go. Despite recovering from a mild case of coccidia, he was in purrfect health. All I new about him, other than all that, was that he was a gray tabby. I didn't care what color he was or what he looked like-- he was a kitten who needed a home. So I went to the hospital with a carrier, walked in and said that I was ready to take him home. They were a little suprised, thinking that I would want to meet him first to make sure that he was "the one for me" but I already knew that he was. It was love at first site! He is now 17 months old and weighs 11lbs. He is a very handsome young man full of personality and energy and we just love him to pieces!!

My second cat, Chloe, is only 5 months old. She adopted me at my parent's house back in August. My parents live in the country and stray cat had recently given birth to four solid black kittens on their property. About a month after their birth we finally got a good look at them when they came out to play. Three of them were not very fond of human contact, however, the runt of the bunch (small enough that she fit into the pocket of my scrubs) loved attention. For some reason the mother cat stopped letting her nurse.....that's when I decided that this itty bitty kitty was coming home with me. Thankfully she was able to eat soft cat food with no problems. I took her directly the vet for a check up. She only weighed 0.4lbs! She had a bad case of coccidia and was a lot of work for about 2 months. She was on two different medications that had to be given every 4 to 6 hours and had a constant drippy diarrhea and required lots of cleaning up after. But she was sooooo worth it! She is now 6lbs! She was spayed last week, and unfortunately had some complications with healing, so she is on antibiotics and topical ointments but she is doing better. As for the mother cat, she is seen now and then around my parents' house, and two of the babies have been given away. The other one lives there now (outside of course) but is well taken care of.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aristotle was adopted through a fellow TCS member who was fostering his mother and littermates. When I joked about snitching a white kitten from another member, she contacted me. (We had lost a white kitten a few months before.)

Topaz was a stray who was invited in one cold October night.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spooky just showed up one day outside of my house. It was mid December and cold (for Atlanta...) but I was just sitting outside on the front walk because I was upset and really tired of dealing with my oppressively supportive father who I lived with, thus why I was doing my pouting outside. I’d never seen him around before but he just came running up to me and started headbutting my hands and legs until I petted him, and then he jumped into my lap. He tried to headbutt our German Shepherd and other 2 cats that were hissing at him through the storm door and when I went inside, he snuck inside with me (no coaxing) and just flopped down on the middle of the floor. Dad took some convincing but said I could keep him if I couldn’t find his owners, so I went door to door with fliers. We found his owner 2 houses up on the other side of the street. He was one of 2 black kittens in his litter (he was 7 months a the time) that they couldn’t find homes for so they just put them outside and put food out for him so they were glad to let me keep him.

I adopted Mulder when I moved out of my parents’ house because Spooky was lonely. I found someone on Craigslist who had brought in a litter of kittens from a feral mother and the mother rejected them after 3 weeks inside so they had to be hand raised from there. Mulder was the only male in the litter and I really wanted a boy, but when I went to look at them all the girls wanted to play with me and he just hid where we couldn’t get him. I didn’t really connect with any of his sisters so I told the lady I would just have to keep looking and went to leave. As I was walking away we heard a “thump” and loud “mewing” and when we turned around Mulder had run after me leaving, jumped on the baby gate she was using to keep them confined to their room and was trying to climb it “mewing” all the way. So I picked him up and he never did make it back to the other side of that baby gate…