8mth old kitten vs 3mth old...just a few quick questions...

phatjoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello:

We (girlfriend and I) are looking to purchase a kitten. The breeder has a 8 month old kitten and 3 month old. They both look very playful and outgoing (several pics sent to us).

Question being will a 8 month kitten bond as strongly to a family as a 3 month old kitten? I'm just worried the 8 month old will have a more aloof personality to a new owner, versus a younger kitten who is more dependant.

Many of you have more experience with kitties that I do, so interested in your thoughts....

Thanks,

PJ

p.s. The 8 month was going to be used a breeder, but the breeder has decided to focus on a different look, hence he's up for sale.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the kitten.
I got Cleo at a little over 4 months old and she is just as friendly as the ones I got younger were.
She is 5 months now.
Do you have pics of the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phatjoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, I got pics!

The more orange color is the 8 month old (closer to being 7.5mths), and he weighs 10lbs.

The other picture is the 3mth old with the 8mth old.

VJ

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Hennessy he was over a year old and he'd very strongly bonded. But it really does depend on the cat... you could hand raise a kitten and it would still be aloof and such if that was its personality.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It really does depend on the cat. I got my first kitten when she was 7.5 weeks old. I love her to death but she is the most independent/aloof of my cats. Goldy was probably 7-8 months old when I brought her in (stray kitty, not feral) and she has bonded very strongly.

Is there any way you can meet the kittens before you make your choice? You never can tell which one is going to touch your heart.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

That would be a hard choice to make. Take them both!
They are beautiful!

Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Is there any way you can meet the kittens before you make your choice? You never can tell which one is going to touch your heart.
you might be more drawn to one than the other [or one might be more drawn to you].

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one to come into my house as a kitten is TigerLily, who I got at 4 weeks. And she's a nasty, not so social, biting beast. My Rainbow Bridge Damita, who was 5-7 when I got her, was the most cuddly, social, friendly girl. I wouldn't be concerned about age, but rather ask about purr-sonalities.

My concern with the 8 month old kitten is when was s/he spayed/neutered? Have any spraying habits started?

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

That would be a hard choice to make. Take them both!
They are beautiful!

You should go spend some time with them, if possible.

thinks you should get both of them