Cat has issues

anastacia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my cat and honestly don't know how to fix it. She is 13 years old, has been spayed and is in good health according to my vet. The problem is that she doesn't use the litter box everytime when she poops. It's getting to be a mess! She uses the box to urinate but only about 20% of the time to poop. All the other times she poops outside the box on the carpet. I have to clean the carpet everyday with my bissell. We have four other cats that do not get along with her; she doesn't like any of them. She has her own room because of this. She has her own litter box, her own food and bed and her own heater. We take her out every day and she hangs with me and my hubby for a few hours while the other cats are in our finished basement. She used to be OK. We lived in an apartment that had a complete office detached from it that she lived in. It was two rooms and we never had a problem with her defecating outside her box; this has only been since we've moved. I need some advice on what to do to fix this problem. I'm tired of picking up poop everyday and cleaning her room. Her litter box is completely cleaned out every week and replaced with fresh litter; she is the only one who uses the box.

Help please.

Anastacia

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked for a UTI? some cats will poop out the box when they have one and UTI's are often brought on by stress - moving probably stressed her.

To help calm her down, after cleared of anything medical, try Rescue Remedy in her water or a Feliway plug in.

Also make sure you use an enzyme cleaner or she will still be able to smell where she messed on the floor and will keep doing it.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say try cleaning the spots being used thoroughly and then use two boxes.

My cat prefers to poo in one box and pee in another, so we have two boxes for one cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anastacia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for replying! I bought another litter box; one with a lid on it. I freshened up her room and put the new box in with new litter the other night. I am happy to report that she has not pooped outside the box since putting the new one in!

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

MY first suggestion would be to give her two boxes and see if that helps.

Leslie
Originally Posted by anastacia

Thank you all for replying! I bought another litter box; one with a lid on it. I freshened up her room and put the new box in with new litter the other night. I am happy to report that she has not pooped outside the box since putting the new one in!

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.
Was going to suggest that as well. Some cats wont' poop in the same box they pee. We had one at the rescue that had to have 2 boxes. If he only had one, he would go on the floor.