Winter hunting?

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an indoor/outdoor cat and it is winter now. Harry still likes to go out (although not nearly as much as in spring/summer/fall). So today we've got 4 new inches of snow over older snow/ice. Anyway, when he was out today, he apparently went hunting and brought back a mole! I didn't realize that there was anything out there to hunt in the dead of winter. Don't moles hibernate or something? I don't think I've had any of my previous indoor/outdoor cats hunt in the winter (not that I remember, anyway). Is winter hunting a common thing?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm....that's a good question. But I guess cats are programed to hunt in the winter, too, since in the wild they'd have to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's true. I guess all those feral/stray cats out there have to survive somehow in the winter, don't they?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on how determined a hunter your feline is. Some cats prefer to be lazy and take advantage of the human gifts of a full food dish and central heating. Others seem compelled by the 'call of the wild' to hunt no matter what season.

Our late great Gracie cat was one of those determined hunters.

If you live in nothern climes where the ground freezes small rodents can no longer burrow through the ground and make tunnels in the snow and dead grass so in some respects catching them can be easier.

Gracie used to sit on the cover to our septic tank (because of ground water this is rather close to the surface) and play an elaborate game of 'wack a mole'. The tank kept the ground from freezing over it and the little moles would dig tunnels that had a terminus on the metal lid. Gracie would crouch on the lid patiently and wait for the unfortunate varmit to pop out.

cocobabyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is something wrong with my babyy shes been crying pretty much all day but its not a normal cry it a very odd and disturbing one, especially at night she crys wayyyyyy too much i dont know what to do or whats wrong with her :S shes around 8 months old and ive ahd her since she was 8 weeks old and ive never seen this b4! please help!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cocobabyy, you need to start your own thread. That way more people will see it and you will get more responses.

Is your cat spayed? If not then she is probably in heat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

If you live in nothern climes where the ground freezes small rodents can no longer burrow through the ground and make tunnels in the snow and dead grass so in some respects catching them can be easier.
Ah, that makes sense.

Gracie used to sit on the cover to our septic tank (because of ground water this is rather close to the surface) and play an elaborate game of 'wack a mole'. The tank kept the ground from freezing over it and the little moles would dig tunnels that had a terminus on the metal lid. Gracie would crouch on the lid patiently and wait for the unfortunate varmit to pop out.
Heh, that must have looked funny.
(although not to the moles, I suppose)