Question of the day Jan 11th

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With tax season fast approaching my question is this.

Do you do your own taxes or do you have someone do them for you?

I have done both, I use to have my taxes done up until about 5 years ago when I decided it was just an added expense I didn't need. Now I do my own and have found it's not all that difficult. I think I always thought they were harder to do then what they actually were that is why I was hesitant about starting to do them myself.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do my own, but after getting married and buying a house I don't even want to fool with it now. Luckily, my MIL has a tax service so she lets DH use her software and answers any questions he has.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am exactly like you. I had someone do my taxes for years, but every time he increased the price of his service. I finally decided that I should try to do them my self. I found that TurboTax has an on-line version, and it's quite simple to do. The nice thing about the on-line version, is it's always the most current one, and I don't need to purchase the software. The charge to use it is relatively minimal. I think this year will be either the 4th or the 5th time I've done them myself.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I have H & R Block do them, but I'm thinking of doing them myself. I just don't know how I'd do it with student loans, since I've never done them before. I might just have my dad help me with them.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to just do our taxes at H&R Block. A year ago my husband opened his own company and has an accountant now so he does all of our taxes, even mine.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad the accountant used to do them. After he passed away I was scared to do them myself so hired someone. After paying her
I decided it couldn't be all that hard and I've done them myself for the past 14 years. I also do our daughter's. Of course, ours is the 1040A and DD's is the 1040EZ so it's truly not difficult.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well being married to a CPA helps during tax time!!
We have used turbo tax -this will be our 4th year. We have my business and the farm in addition to our personal taxes. Lots of forms and lots of hours!!
He does my parents taxes and had done my sisters but last year she did her's by herself!.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Being an unemployed turn student, i haven't had any forms to fill out as i didn't earn anything. But obviously i still pay taxes through my groceries, public transport ticketing, etc

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are very straightforward. It takes me no more than a couple of hours, even doing it by hand, and checking umpteen times. There's absolutely no justification for paying someone, and I can't be bothered to learn a tax package, even though whichever one it is that Rob uses always offers more than one return.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using the same guy for 20 years. He's very thorough and reasonably priced.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I am exactly like you. I had someone do my taxes for years, but every time he increased the price of his service. I finally decided that I should try to do them my self. I found that TurboTax has an on-line version, and it's quite simple to do. The nice thing about the on-line version, is it's always the most current one, and I don't need to purchase the software. The charge to use it is relatively minimal. I think this year will be either the 4th or the 5th time I've done them myself.
I have used Turbo Tax online for several years now. It is inexpensive and I was tired of spending a fortune at H&R Block.