Was He Neutered Or Not?

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again, it's been a while.

So, I had my adult cat Parrot neutered a few months ago... brought him home from the vet and noticed that he still actually had his testicles. Now unless I'm out of date on things, I thought those were supposed to be removed, and that's what all the research I've done online says as well. There didn't appear to be any physical change in him at all, not even any stitches.

So what's up? Is this some new way of neutering that I don't know about, or did they not perform the procedure at all...?

I do know his behavior hasn't changed - he still sprays, he's still aggressive and territorial.

I'd really appreciate some insight on this, thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Sounds to me that he is not fixed.
I have never had a fixed male that still had them after being fixed.
o_O Why would the vet do that?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
no, they should've been removed. are you certain? in a sexually mature male, neutered later in life, the sacs may still be visible, but they're empty - you'd have to feel them to know for sure. don't know about Parrot, but i'm CERTAIN that Chip would not appreciate that!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess he hasn't been fixed either; if in fact he has his testicles intact... Sure things like this happens... I don't think often, but we have a member, fastnoc for example, whose fixed (supposedly) female just gave birth to a litter pretty recently!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat was neutered at the age of 13months (he was supposed to be used for breeding but things changed, that's why so late) his testicles were visible for some time after the surgery and they kinda 'shrank' away over time. I think it was the skin that was left which made him look intact for a while.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering surgery these days doesn't remove the scrotal sac. The vet will make an incision and remove the um... critical bits. Often the incision is so small they don't have to suture it. However, if his testicles are still there and it's not an empty pouch, so to speak, then something went amiss and he wasn't actually fixed. If you don't want to do the exam to check, take him back to the vet and if by chance the procedure was not performed, either get your money back or - if you trust this vet/clinic - make them do it for real for free anyway since they still screwed up ... I would still get my money back.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

I do know his behavior hasn't changed - he still sprays, he's still aggressive and territorial.
When I've had male cats fixed, there has always been a small portion of the sac left. I never actually felt around it, but they definitely weren't as big.

About the behavior - he's still spraying after a few months? That's not entirely unusual (the aggression, either), but what is the smell like? There is NO MISTAKING tomcat spray. Neutered spraying smells, but not so strong it hits you in the face when you walk into a room.