TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Using litter tray 30 times a day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Using litter tray 30 times a day

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hello.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Can it be moved if need be.

We have the most placid cat ever, will let anyone pick him up, sits up like a human and knows exactly what face to pull to get what he wants.

But for the last two days he has been using the litter tray more than 30 times a day. We know this for sure because with him being a long haired cat he sometimes gets 'stuff' stuck to his fur when he comes downstairs.
He smells terrible when he comes down too, much worse than normal.

Is this normal, he has never used the litter tray this much before.

Should we take him to the vet or will they just take our money and do nothing like every other time we've been

Thanks a lot.
post #2 of 28
Hi and welcome to TCS. Before any of us can give you advice it would be beneficial to have more details about your kitty and home. Such as age, neutered, how long you've had him, and any other significant details. My first recommendation would be to talk to your veterinarian. If they have tested him previously for similar symptoms and seem to be misleading, I would contact another......
post #3 of 28
Call the vet.
If he is trying to pee he can get blocked.
He might have crystals in his bladder or a uti.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Call the vet.
If he is trying to pee he can get blocked.
He might have crystals in his bladder or a uti.
i agree - i'd have mine to the vet ASAP w/the behavior you've described.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i agree - i'd have mine to the vet ASAP w/the behavior you've described.
Definitely.

Frequent urination can be a symptom of crystals in the urine. The crystals make urination painful and so the cat will only allow small amounts to pass each time. Since they only pee small amounts each time they must go more often to relieve bladder pressure. The crystals can be large enough completely block the urethra. A blocked urethra can be dangerous, even deadly to a cat.

Get him to a vet ASAP.

And don't be surprised if he starts peeing outside the litter tray. This is common with crystals.

Other things can cause frequent urination. They all require attention from a vet.
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hello again,

He is approximately 2 years old maybe a little older and has been neutered since about 6 months. He has been an in door cat since we got him. We bought him from the owner as a tiny kitten and were told he was 8 weeks old.
when we took him to the vet at the time we were told he was only about 4 weeks, However this hasnt seemed to be a problem as he took to us and the new environment pretty quickly.

About a year ago we actually took him to the vet because of very strong urine smells and we were new to having a cat. They told us then that he may have crystals in the urine and we were told to put him on a diet. (SD cat food)

Since then he has been on the diet and has seemed to be fine until now.

Occasionally we have given him a little bit of tuna or wet cat food as he seems to turn his nose up at dry food all the time. We didnt think this would be too much of a problem.

I am grateful for all the replies as even though we have had him for a while we still are pretty new to having pets and knowing what to do.

Thanks again
post #7 of 28
Tuna is bad for cats with bladder problems.
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thank you for letting me know that as no vet that we have visited has ever given us that information.

I am really scared now incase i have caused something bad to happen to him. I could never live with myself
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Tuna is bad for cats with bladder problems.
actually, all fish. what kind of crystals did he have? you can feed certain [non-script] wets w/additions if you know what he needs.
post #10 of 28
30 times a day isn't normal, so he needs to see a vet asap.

Let us know what they say
post #11 of 28
I agree. That cat should go to the vet. Some of those signs point to a UTI, which should warrant a trip to the vet on its own. Our girl had UTIs before, and the frequent trips to the litter box were always a symptom. However, our cat never smelled any worse than normal. That could be something else.
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
We are going to take him tomorrow and I am just hoping its something that can be sorted out. I would hate myself if i have caused him to suffer is any way!

To be honest with you when i went to the vet before with him they didnt say much. Just that he had crystals and to get him to eat SD dry cat food. I even asked then whether it was safe to give him other food on occasion and he said that was my own preference. so i honestly thought it must not be a big problem as long as i give him the prescription food.

It is the fishy foods that he tends to go for the most he sticks his nose up at anything else but it is always the better brands that i would feed him like felix etc. not that i think that would make a difference.

im so glad i have discovered this forum as i have had better advice off here than i have ever had from the vet!

I have filled his litter tray tonight with cut up plastic bags and am going to get a sample to take with me tomorrow so it can be tested straight away.
I will keep you posted!

Thanks again
post #13 of 28
One of my little boys Patch gets struvite crystals. He will only eat the royal canine (for cats) dry food and not much of that, he will not eat any of the prescription foods, so your lucky your little one eats the prescription foods. I give Patch wet Fancy Feast but I add some water to it because unfortunately, he's not a big water drinker either. Good luck at the Vets. Prayers and Please keep us updated.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Call the vet.
If he is trying to pee he can get blocked.
He might have crystals in his bladder or a uti.
Yep, that is what I was thinking also.
post #15 of 28
good luck.

I recently read a book that was recommended here "Your cat: simple new secrets to a longer stronger life" by elizabeth hodgkins DVM

It has some awesome info about prescription foods and cat ailments--new ways to treat them--I highly recommend it.

Leslie
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hello

Our Sox has been to the vet this morning and they have confirmed that he has a bladder infection and also the the crystals are getting a bit worse.

I asked the vet whether he would be allowed to have anything else other than the SD diet food and she didnt know how to answer that! So at least i know it was not just me neglecting him in any way as the vet didnt even know herself.

Anyway he has been given antibiotics for the infection and i am going to see how he goes from there.

Thankyou for all your support!!
post #17 of 28
Crystals can be misdiagnosed pretty easily and even if they exist, what you are feeding is not good foood for a cat. Your cat would be much better off with a quality wet diet with no grains.
As far as the going 30 times a day, has your cat been drinking alot? The food you are feeding is very high in carbohydrates (not good fo a carnivore) and my first thought with excessive urination leans to diabetes
You do need a vet check but realize that when it comes to nutrition, you really need to do your own research as most vets are not nutritionists and get their education on nutrition from the food companies themselves
post #18 of 28
I'm so pleased Sox had a visit to the vet and he has meds for it. Lots of healthy that it clears up soon.

Have you got a water fountain, because that encourages them to drink more. My three love theirs
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thats one thing i can say is that he barely drinks much at all. i change his water very regularly and have tried it icy cold to just cold to luke warm and he just does not seem to drink much at all.

the only thing is if the vet has said for him to be on the SD prescription diet would it be safe for me to change what he has? ive tried him on the SD wet food and he just does not like it but seems to eat the dry food fine.

Sorry i am pretty unexperienced in having a pet as is much of my family so i dont really have anywhere to go to for advice without ending up with no money.
Thankyou for all of you help and concern i really am taking in all in!

I will certainly consider getting a little water fountain if that helps. Thankyou
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxPD View Post
Sorry i am pretty unexperienced in having a pet.
Don't worry, weve all been there, and even the most exerienced cat owner is still learning
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxPD View Post
the only thing is if the vet has said for him to be on the SD prescription diet would it be safe for me to change what he has? ive tried him on the SD wet food and he just does not like it but seems to eat the dry food fine.
You have to be careful what you feed him. A lot of us here don't think much of prescription foods but this is one area where they have a leg up on non-prescription foods. They *are* very effective at controlling the crystals. I think I've heard of cats that have developed crystals while on a prescription diet to prevent them but generally they are effective.

You might be able to control the crystals with a non-prescription diet but it takes some effort to find the right foods. In general, what you want to do is some combination of : 1) feed foods that contain minimal amounts of the minerals that make up the crystals 2) feed foods that result in urine with an acidic pH so crystals can't form 3) maximize water intake to help keep the minerals suspended and flushed out rather than staying in the bladder long enough to coalesce into crystals.

My Jeta is prone to struvite crystals and I chose to deal with it by feeding her a raw food diet to keep her urine acidic enough to prevent the crystals.

You probably want to stick with the prescription food until you research what, if anything, else you want to try.
post #22 of 28
I went thru this for years with one of my first male cats...over a year period he was in the animal hospital alot...having a catheter and iv fluids...antibiotics....He was on S/D food...only dry cause like your cat he wouldn't eat canned....then he would get over the crystals...and they would but him on the C/D dry....within a few months he would get blocked again....This went on for close to 2 yrs.....I was at my wists end and thought ok this is it...I can not afford to keep taking him into the vets for days...only to have him blocked again ..then finally the vet suggested urethrostomay surgery....I thought I had invested so much money into him now....I might as well go for it....We went thru struggles afterwards with a lot of infections..but in the end he got healthy..gained weight....ate mostly canned food and lived to be over 17 yrs old....The only thing I would do differently is stick to canned food mostly...because of going thru this I have 6 water bowls around my house...some are flavored with tuna water/milk.....very little it just encourages all my cats to drink more....Plus I again have a cat that suffers from FLUTD..lucky he does well on the meds...and he eats mainly canned food...

Oh I forgot to add what I vet told me the last time I was in with Tigger...he told me that they now are thinking that its a virus and that he isn't even sure feeding the recommended script diet even helps much...in his opinion he said my cat might have been better off eating canned stuff from the grocery store than anything dry....NOT that I agree that stuff should be fed to animals...I buy what I think is a good quailty cat food....I used wellness canned no grains...and mine actually get alittle grain free dry as well...very little..but anyways the vet said to encourage drinking in whatever way you can...helps wash out the bladder....I am thinking of investing in a cat fountain as well....
post #23 of 28
I meant to ask, when you say you are feeding "SD prescription" do you mean Hill's S/D" The reason I ask is because it sounds like from your posts that is the only prescription food you feed. Is that right? Normally the S/D food is only fed until the existing crystals dissolve and then the C/D food is feed from then on. Feeding the S/D food long term can result in *overly* acidic urine and can cause another type of crystal, oxalate.
post #24 of 28
Coco was on S/D for 2 months when she had bladder the bladder stones.
After that she was on C/D.Royal Canin Urinary and Purina S/O.
Everytime I took her off the food the crystals would come back.
What antibiotic did your cat get?
Is the vet sure they are struvite crystals?
My sisters cat was on s/d but it turned out he had oxide crystals.
S/D dosent work for them.
He had to have surgery on nov 20th.
He is now on C/D multicare.
I hope your cat will not be like my coco.
Every 2 months her infection is back.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
I meant to ask, when you say you are feeding "SD prescription" do you mean Hill's S/D" The reason I ask is because it sounds like from your posts that is the only prescription food you feed. Is that right? Normally the S/D food is only fed until the existing crystals dissolve and then the C/D food is feed from then on. Feeding the S/D food long term can result in *overly* acidic urine and can cause another type of crystal, oxalate.
My sentiments exactly. When Mickey was blocked my vet had him on S/D for a month, then I was to feed C/D for maintenance - canned as well as dry. As I have 2 cats with recurrent UTI problems, I tried to do this. However, my cats LOVE canned foods with gravy and chunks - something you don't get with C/D. (I often wonder why the Hills people can't do something about this.)

Anyway, after my complaints that my cats just can't stand the BORING C/D, my vet prescribed "Methigel", which is a "supplemental source of Methionine for cats and dogs". Supposedly, a half to full teaspoon of this daily (mixed into their food or put on their paw so they'll lick it off- it comes in a tube) will keep their PH balances normal, and she said they can eat what they want. (NO seafood, though, I've always heard that is a no-no) Also, if they use the Methigel, they CANNOT eat the C/D or the S/D along with it.

Will this work? I have no idea. We've been using it for about a month. Sounds like a miracle cure to me. MUCH cheaper than prescription diet, too. You could ask about it.

I have also heard that for kitties with UTI problems, canned food is necessary to ensure that they'll get much-needed fluids in their diet.
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
wow

see now i am absoloutly baffled. I think i really need to change vets.
Yes it has been hills prescription that i have been feeding him. The vets never told me of anything else i would need to feed him though.

He wont touch the SD canned food though so i dont really know how to get round that. as even the idea you said about the methionine which sounds great, which would mean i could feed him canned food wouldnt really work as our sox will only eat fish canned foods which i have realised now is not good to feed on a regular basis. But he wont touch anything else. But it is definately something i will look into more if this diet does not seem to help him yet again.

Im not sure if the vets are sure it is struvite though. they said it was the other day when we were there but they have not been the best vets for advice so far!
The antibiotic that he is taking is called 'synulox' if you know anything from that!

So how can you tell when the crystals are getting better and dissolving? do you have to keep going to the vet each time?

Also has anyone whos cat has had infections and crystals noticed that the cat 'poo' is much softer than usual? the reason i ask is because our sox is long haired and everytime he goes to the litter for a poo he gets it stuck in his hair. Lately we have been waking up to it scraped right round the house where he has been trying to get it off!

Thanx Again everyone!!
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxPD View Post
wow
see now i am absoloutly baffled. I think i really need to change vets.
Yes it has been hills prescription that i have been feeding him. The vets never told me of anything else i would need to feed him though.

He wont touch the SD canned food though so i dont really know how to get round that. as even the idea you said about the methionine which sounds great, which would mean i could feed him canned food wouldnt really work as our sox will only eat fish canned foods which i have realised now is not good to feed on a regular basis. But he wont touch anything else. But it is definately something i will look into more if this diet does not seem to help him yet again.
I would call the vet and ask some questions based on what you have learned here. It could just be a misunderstanding.

If you try using a supplement like methionine you need to be careful. It is an acidifier and as I said in an earlier post, you don't want the urine to be too acidic. You might ask your vet if this option might be good for you. You can also monitor his urine pH using pH test strips that can be found at most pet stores in the fish section.

Quote:
Im not sure if the vets are sure it is struvite though. they said it was the other day when we were there but they have not been the best vets for advice so far!
The antibiotic that he is taking is called 'synulox' if you know anything from that!
Hill's S/D would only be used for struvite crystals, not oxalate.

Quote:
So how can you tell when the crystals are getting better and dissolving? do you have to keep going to the vet each time?
With Jeta, it took a day or 2 but then she was clearly having an easier time urinating. My vet had me take her back in after a week to check that the crystals were dissolved. In her case they were and the vet had me switch to the c/d food.

Quote:
Also has anyone whos cat has had infections and crystals noticed that the cat 'poo' is much softer than usual? the reason i ask is because our sox is long haired and everytime he goes to the litter for a poo he gets it stuck in his hair. Lately we have been waking up to it scraped right round the house where he has been trying to get it off!
Antibiotics can cause loose stools. They kill the "good bacteria" in the digestive tract and make digestion less efficient. His stools should return to normal some time (I don't know how long) after you stop the anitbiotics. You can give him a probiotic supplement to help his digestive tract recover. [Question for others: Should the probiotics be given at the same time as the antibiotics or only afterwards?]
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxPD View Post
He wont touch the SD canned food though so i dont really know how to get round that. as even the idea you said about the methionine which sounds great, which would mean i could feed him canned food wouldnt really work as our sox will only eat fish canned foods which i have realised now is not good to feed on a regular basis. But he wont touch anything else.
We're not all trying to scare you to death, honest. I bet if you tried some of the canned foods with gravy and chunks or bites, your kitty will find out they are really yummy. Beef, chicken, turkey - my cats love all these. They despised CD & SD because of the texture. Give it time - it will all work out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Using litter tray 30 times a day