Line/Scratch on eye?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized that Scratch has a line on her eye. At first I thought it was a hair, but after closing her eye, it's still there. The best way I can describe it is a clear/white line near the middle of her left eye. It goes all the way up and down.

According to my brother, it's been there for a while, but he never told me about it. Scratch and Squee tend to wrestle and play fight, so could it be a scratch from that? I've watched them fight and it's never vicious and they don't scratch at each other; they just whap each other on the head with a paw.

I tried taking a picture of it. It's the neon green line on her left (your right) eye.

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before and now I'm getting paranoid that her eye will go blind.

ETA: My brother told me that he noticed it a few months ago. She's acting normal, and it doesn't seem to be giving her problems. Her pupils still dilate the same, no discharge, etc.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
the way it glows, it almost makes me think there's some sort of ... 'fracture', for want of a better word, in her pupil. seems like a surface scratch wouldn't glow like the tapetum lucidum does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

the way it glows, it almost makes me think there's some sort of ... 'fracture', for want of a better word, in her pupil. seems like a surface scratch wouldn't glow like the tapetum lucidum does.
That sounds really scary.

I should add that it appears on the outside clear part (cornea?) of her eye and it seems like the line "sticks out" a little, sort of like a scar.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

That sounds really scary.

I should add that it appears on the outside clear part (cornea?) of her eye and it seems like the line "sticks out" a little, sort of like a scar.
it may be a scar. look thru your old pix of her & see if it shows in her younger ones.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture comparison of her eye on October 15 and January 1.

I can see it very faintly in one of the January 1 pictures, circled in red.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Here's a picture comparison of her eye on October 15 and January 1.

I can see it very faintly in one of the January 1 pictures, circled in red.
i can't read the date on that first one - is it also january 1?
problem is, none of these is quite the same angle/lighting as the one in your original post - makes it harder to compare.

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is a scratch it may go away on its own. However, from my own dealing with a bad eye injury in my Mickey, it is best to check with the vet and get the necessary eye ointment asap. The more time that lapses where treatment is needed the more chance of scarring. Hopefully, it won't be anything to really worry about but if you are any bit worried that there is an issue, check with your vet.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neighours cat also has a scratch like that on her eye.....I noticed while visiting over the holidays...she said she has had it "forever" and it doesn't seem to bother her...But I think if it was my cat ..I'd need a vet telling me she is fine...and it doesn't bother her...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen the line on Scratch's eye since the day I started this thread.
I was going to take her to the vet, to see if it was a scar on her eye, and now it's gone!