My Chili Recipe

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I would share my chili recipe that I made tonight. It was delicious!

dried pinto beans soaked overnight (the amount of beans is subject to your tastes)
1 can pureed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 tbl dark chili powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 med onion
4 jalapeño peppers
2 tbl diced garlic - (I use the chopped in the jar)
ground turkey
olive oil
salt
grated cheese (optional)

cook beans over med/high heat until tender, drain and put in crock pot.
Drizzle olive oil in a pan to cover the bottom and heat. While oil heats, chop onion and add to oil in pan. SautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] onions and garlic in pan until tender. Put in crock pot with beans. In same pan, cook ground turkey with the oregano and basil. While turkey cooks, chop jalapeños, deseeding all but one of them. Put in crock pot. Poor pureed and diced tomatoes in and stir. Stir in the cooked turkey and add one can of water. Cook for about an hour on high. After one hour, put in the tomato paste and stir. Taste chili broth and add salt to taste. Stir again and let cook for another hour or so. Serve over rice. Top with grated cheese if desired. You can also reserve part of the chopped onion before cooking and spoon over the top.

I just made this tonight and you couldn't even tell it was made with turkey instead of beef.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, thank you
I love homemade chili, and was thinking of trying a recipe with turkey instead of beef, but couldn't decide on one. This one sounds delicious.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, chili over rice is awesome!! That is how we usually eat the leftovers (first night is just pigging out on chili by itself!). DH actually eats his chili over peanut butter. I prefer my peanut butter on bread on the side, but to each his own.

Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to save this and try it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, chili over rice is awesome!! That is how we usually eat the leftovers (first night is just pigging out on chili by itself!). DH actually eats his chili over peanut butter. I prefer my peanut butter on bread on the side, but to each his own.

Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to save this and try it.
I have been told that beans and rice together is a complete food. In otherwords, it is healthier than by itself. Anyway, it tastes sooo good! I also like it with corn muffins on the side.
I make the muffins last night too using the Jiffy muffin mix. Just add milk and an egg!