I thought I was paranoid...

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But now I think they're doing this on purpose! I believe someone (probably someone we know) set out a kitten at DH's office because they know we like cats! This has happened before, and I always wondered how little kittens turned up at our out-of-the-way house. This particular kitten ended up at my Bil's business next door to DH's, and now we are trying to find a home for it. I know this was somebody's kitten, because it's tame.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The word gets around fast, doesn't it? The good news is, the cats are better off with you - at least you care enough to try to find homes. The bad news is, expect more. People do take advantage when they think they can get away with it.

If you can find out who dumped the kitten, you might be able to work with your local authorities. In my area, dumping animals (cats, dogs, whatever), is taken pretty seriously. In the meantime, wouldn't it be nice to have video cameras strategically placed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

In my area, dumping animals (cats, dogs, whatever), is taken pretty seriously.
That is great news!

Can you tell more about it?

It should be so, of course. But sorrowfully, it seems authorities and the police usually doesnt bother. Not even in clear-cut cases, fex with kittens dumped inside a closed box in the middle of a wood. Ie where it is very easy to secure proofs: there are surely fingerprints all over the box... Only to go and fetch the villain.
But in fact, the animal friends are also quilty a little: the do weep and cry aloud in the forums, but I never read they are reporting the villain. Fex abandoned cat after the owners left the neighborhood: the neighbours usually knows who did left, and whose cat it was....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That camera sounds like a good idea! I am so stressed out now worrying about this kitten.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

That camera sounds like a good idea! I am so stressed out now worrying about this kitten.
Actually, we had a system (bad neighbors, don't ask) that used a real camera and three "dummies." It certainly stopped our neighbors' shenanigans. It wouldn't help identifying the culprits but its worth looking into.

The ordinances here give a lot of power to the SPCA to investigate cruelty. In New Jersey, dumping animals is considered curelty, so they have some leeway in terms of pursuing dumpers. Look into you state/local ordinances.