Rhubarb & coconut slice recipe

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I just collected a whole lot of rhubarb from the garden decided to try a new recipe. It's turned out beautifully and i thought i'd share it here in case anyone wants to make it. This recipe can be made by beginners as well.

Ingredients:
150g softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup rice flour
6-8 rhubarb stalks chopped into 1 inch segments
1/3 cup water
2 eggs lightly whisked
2 cups coconut.

Preheat the oven to 160c(320f). Grease or spray a lamington pan (roughly 3cm deep, 16cm X 26cm).

Beat the butter & 1/3 sugar in an electric mixer. Once combined add the plain & rice flour & mix well. Put the base mix into the pan & press down with your hands until the bottom is covered. Bake for 20 minutes. Increase oven to 170c(338f)

Cook rhubarb, water & 1/3 of the sugar in a pan over low heat & stir for 5 minutes till it starts simmering. Put on the lid & cook for 5-10 minutes. Time varies depending on cooker. Most if not all of the rhubarb should be falling apart & a nice creamy pink colour. Let it cool for half an hour.

Once cooled, spread the rhubarb mix onto the cooked biscuit base. Combine the coconut, 1/3 sugar & eggs together, then spread over the top of the rhubarb. Bake for 25-30 mins, or till golden, then cool down, cut & serve

Hope you like

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love rhubarb, I will see if my granny has any in her garden. Can I use normal flour instead of rice flour as I am not too keen on it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I love rhubarb, I will see if my granny has any in her garden. Can I use normal flour instead of rice flour as I am not too keen on it?
Sure, i mean it's only 1/4 but if it's that annoying then you can change it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd probably change the coconut to something else. I'm not a huge fan of coconut. If it's toasted and sprinkled on something, ok, but not as a main ingredient.

I'll try it with strawberries or lemon or even apple.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'd probably change the coconut to something else. I'm not a huge fan of coconut. If it's toasted and sprinkled on something, ok, but not as a main ingredient.

I'll try it with strawberries or lemon or even apple.
Sighs.

The third person to want to change ingredients will get a stern talking too!
Or perhaps i should rename the rhubarb & coconut slice to *insert one fruit here and another topping there*

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing the recipe! My dad was just saying today that he was hungry for rhubarb, and he loves coconut. If I can manage to find any fresh rhubarb anywhere I'm going to have to try this for him.