Cat hates my guitar

garrettvd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys and girls,

I 've got a question. Whenever I bring out my guitar even if I'm not playing it, my cat gets really freaked out. For instance, he'll either turn around and try to pretend that my guitar isn't there, but usually he gives a really long meow or two, and scurries out of the room. Does this have something to do with the smell of the guitar or something? Or does my cat just think I'm a horrible guitarist? I have three cats, and he's the only one that really seems to be bothered by my guitar.

Thanks,

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There must be something about the sound of a guitar that bothers his ears.

Either that, or you really do suck...we haven't heard you play after all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garrettvd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

There must be something about the sound of a guitar that bothers his ears.

Either that, or you really do suck...we haven't heard you play after all.
Hahaha I guess I do! I've managed to inflict some horrible memories of guitar onto my poor cat!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, must be your playing. Practice harder!

In seriousness, I can't relate to this particular problem. My cats always seemed to like my guitar playing, even when I KNEW that I sucked. I think they just liked hearing my voice. Of course I always played mellow, folksy music on an acoustic, so if you're whipping out mad death metal riffs on an electric, I could certainly see that disturbing them. That said, cats can be very sensitive to changes in their environment -- after all, it is THEIR house. If you keep your guitar in a case all the time, maybe you can try leaving it out on a stand between jam sessions. That way when you sit down to play, it's not some mysterious object kitty has never seen before.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats are a little skittish around some larger objects and will often leave the room as well. That includes my guitar (like yourself, even when I'm not playing), the vacuum cleaner, the broom, etc. When those objects are just sitting there they'll play around it, sniff it, or generally ignore it. Once it starts moving though they tend to avoid it. I guess I'd be a little cautious too if I had objects 10x my size flying around me, so I tend not to worry about the behaviour.

ail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your guitar electric or acoustic? If acoustic, and you treat the wood with the right guitar body products (which you should
), the smells of the product you're using might be disturbing them. Of course, electric guitar fretboards should be treated properly too, so if it's electric it may still be the cause.

Malachi adores my guitar, in fact when I play he'll jump onto the bed with me and insist on licking the strings (some distortion and echo and it gets some pretty sweet sounding effects
) even though I'm playing mad death metal riffs the whole time.
Of course, he's completely black and his name is Malachi, so maybe he just likes that kind of music.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane likes to sleep under the piano. Except when I am playing it. (I should mention that I have a baby grand, not an upright.)