Large litter box help

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So to speak...I have 2 chihuahua's..that are inside and outside trained..however its been so cold here they are mostly indoors now...they hate the cold...Here my problem....they are puppy pee pad trained...but my female insists on peeing on the edge all the time...And the male for whatever reasons has to pee on top of hers....However is aim is alittle off and he has been getting in on my floor...I've search for a container that I can put the pee pad on/in....but none fit the pad.....Tonight I got the idea ...why the heck don't see if I can find a square litter box....what better place to ask but here......Does any one use a larger square type litter box....low sided ? I heard someone using a dark room trays but I am unable to find them here....any ideas ??

Nancy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno - in an effort to housetrain Izzy - I invested in several of the Second Nature Dog Litter Pans.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I use the sterilite bins for my kitties' litter boxes. They're easy to clean and much cheaper than the one that are called litter boxes officially. They come in a lot of different sizes.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I use the sterilite bins for my kitties' litter boxes. They're easy to clean and much cheaper than the one that are called litter boxes officially. They come in a lot of different sizes.
Same here - it is actually the best one in the house... I tried 3 different litter boxes, and the sterilite bin was the cheapest, biggest, and most efficient of them all... I think it cost me about $6.00 at Big Lots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked at all the sterilite , rubbermaid plastic containers....the pee pad doesn't fit in them....the are not wide enough....I will check again...if I have to fold down one side of the pad...I guess I could try....I thought made there was some kind litter tray out there that was more square..I don't gave a huge pet supply place near me...so I have to just make do....with the stores here til I make a trip to Ottawa

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sterilite bin here, as well. Our cats are always so big. Those pans made especially for the purpose don't look nearly large enough.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a large plastic container, they sell them where they sell house stuff... much larger and cheaper than litter boxes (at least in Greece)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I looked at all the sterilite , rubbermaid plastic containers....the pee pad doesn't fit in them....the are not wide enough....I will check again...if I have to fold down one side of the pad...I guess I could try....I thought made there was some kind litter tray out there that was more square..I don't gave a huge pet supply place near me...so I have to just make do....with the stores here til I make a trip to Ottawa
Can you just run the pad up the sides of the bin? Tape the edges in place so the don't flop back down into the bin. If you fold the edges under you're more likely to get pee running underneath the pad.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Can you just run the pad up the sides of the bin? Tape the edges in place so the don't flop back down into the bin. If you fold the edges under you're more likely to get pee running underneath the pad.
Good idea....I went out looking today....I just don't wanna mess to much with what they have now....and Lola my smaller chi is just shy of 4 pounds...and it has to have low sides..the ones I looked at today were way to tall for her...I know they have under the bed types but the store I was in today didn't have any....I thought even of cutting on of the sides off so they can kinda enter the box....I will look online for what I am wanting if I can't find or order it I will buy the under the bed kind and cut a side off....

thanks for all the help
Nancy

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
it's really hard to cut those plastic bins w/scissors - i found them much easier to cut w/a hot knife.
couldn't find one in my local crafting stores, so i ordered this one online. works great!

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

it's really hard to cut those plastic bins w/scissors - i found them much easier to cut w/a hot knife.
couldn't find one in my local crafting stores, so i ordered this one online. works great!
Thanks...I never even thought about that.....my b/f and my neighbour are pretty handy...I need to find out if they have something like that ...