Moving with a cat?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this goes in here, feel free to move it...

Can anyone give me any advice on moving a fairly good distance with a cat? The trip will be around 10-11 hours if we drive without stopping, with approx 650 miles...ish.

I've never traveled with a cat more than going to the vet. We've moved before, but only across town, and generally no further than it takes to get TO the vet. lol I have no idea what it would take to move an animal across the country. I'm scared to death she will bolt.

I'm definitely going to get her a harness and leash and keep them on her the whole trip. When we stop I'll let her out to stretch and get a drink and some food. She HATES the car so I'm afraid I'll have to listen to her freak the whole way (and I'll be the one riding with her). She hates being in her cat carrier more, but she'll just have to live with that.

Would it be possible or reasonable to give her a sedative, at least at first? Is there anything else I'm not thinking of? She has a collar with our phone number on it, but before we leave I'll get her a new one that has my husband's cell phone on it.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say good luck and remember for you to remain stressfree about the cat--they will sense your stress.

Leslie

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Can anyone give me any advice
The trip will be around 10-11 hours if we drive without stopping, with approx 650 miles...ish.
I'm scared to death she will bolt.

I'm definitely going to get her a harness and leash and keep them on her the whole trip. When we stop I'll let her out to stretch and get a drink and some food. She HATES the car
She hates being in her cat carrier more, but she'll just have to live with that.

Would it be possible or reasonable to give her a sedative, at least at first? Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?
I have moved with a cat that distance. Good luck to you and your kitty, it will be over before you know it. Don't use a sedative, not even at first. If you can, set out the crate for her to explore a long time in advance. Keep the door open and put stuff in there that smells like you. Keep a feliway diffuser by it and also spray some in the crate.

I would not give her the option of running away and would not do the harness and leash thing, letting her out of the carrier. Sounds like she is scared of a lot and that is pretty predictable, so it would probably be better for her to stay safe and secure in her crate until arrival safe and sound inside her new home.
Get a crate that is a plastic crate big enough for a medium dog. Make a travel litter box with a side where it won't spill out into the crate to put in one side and put food/water on the other side which is the door side. Then put a bed and blankets she is used to in there too sprayed with feliway. And a favorite toy. Then you are set to travel those hours and you know kitty will be safe and around the people she knows, you, and around the stuff she knows.