or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What does your cat's name mean?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does your cat's name mean?

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 
My response in the thread asking for cat name ideas inspired me to look up the meanings of my cats' names. So I went here: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect...ck-search.html and typed in each of my cat's names.
I thought it might be fun for us to see what our cats' names mean and see if the meanings actually match our cats!

Mine:
Felix: Happy, lucky, fortunate (This fits because he is a very happy-go-lucky cat. He's also lucky & fortunate because he was kicked in the jaw as a kitten, but somehow made it to the vet who decided to surgically rewire Felix's jaw together rather than put him to sleep. He was then adopted by us!)
Owen: Well born, well bred, uncertain (Well, I suppose this fits since he's the only cat I have that is close to being purebred, or "well bred.")
Lucy: Light (She is as white as snow)
Hermie: Man in army (This is funny. She's a small female cat, so I think this one is off just a bit.)
Simba: Lion (We named him Simba because he's got long tan/brown fur that looks like a lion! He even seems to have a little mane!)
Matilda: Powerful battler (Well, she survived her first three months outside in freezing temperatures and snow with only human food scraps to eat.)
Daisy: Day's eye (Hmm...she did have a bad eye infection that sealed her eye closed when we first got her.)
post #2 of 103
mine arnt on there but i wasn expecting that with them being called flash and sooty haha
post #3 of 103
Trent: Traveller; journey across (Hmmm, he hates traveling and screams the entire time he's in a carrier for any reason. And he was actually named for Trent Reznor because he would throw himself around when he played the same way Trent Reznor did on stage.)

Ophelia: Help; aid (Well, she was stuck in a wall when we rescued her, but she's not much help to anyone else!)

Ginger: Spring-like; flourishing (She certainly has flourished like a little flower since being brought inside in Ohio and coming home to Colorado. She's much more of a traveller than Trent! )

Mojo: No baby name matches. According to Dictionary.com it means: 1) A magic spell or charm; 2) An object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell; 3) Personal magnetism; charm. (She definitely has magnetism and charm, at least to people. To other kitties...not so much; she plays too rough.)

Annie:Grace; favour (That one matches to a tee!)
post #4 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -_aj_- View Post
mine arnt on there but i wasn expecting that with them being called flash and sooty haha
Aplogies to those with cats without "human" names! Well, you can make up meanings then. It sounds like the meaning is right in the name already!
post #5 of 103
Well my little girl has a boy's name meaning "God is good." I like that. Her name is Toby.
post #6 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by -_aj_- View Post
mine arnt on there but i wasn expecting that with them being called flash and sooty haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitties View Post
Aplogies to those with cats without "human" names! Well, you can make up meanings then. It sounds like the meaning is right in the name already!
"Mojo" wasn't listed as a people name either - and I would be scared to meet a person named Mojo anyway! So I cheated and looked it up in the dictionary.
post #7 of 103
Such cute names they all have! I can just imagine their personalities!
post #8 of 103
I've got Sophie - meaning Wisdom. This suits Sophie very well, she is my wisest cat!

Elmo - A popular sesame street character - he definitely is a character!

No results for Fluffy, Flutterby, Crowd Control, Paparazzi, Tales, Secrets or Sonic!

I'm suprised Elmo was there - who would call their kid that?
post #9 of 103
Nora means "Honor".

The tortie I hope to get will be renamed either Millie, Nell or Penny.

Millie means "mild strength"

Penny means "with a web over her face"

Nell means "light"

Which do you think she looks like?
post #10 of 103
Mine aren't human names, but I've named all my cats after characters in Greek Mythology to signify strength
post #11 of 103
Abby

It's Hebrew and means "Father in rejoicing"

I couldn't find anything for Chynna. Her name is relatively unique for a cat.
post #12 of 103
HUMBLE is a humble gray tabby cat. His personality fits his name.

Shenandoah is dark gray, like the mountains in the Shenandoah Valley.
post #13 of 103
Aristotle - Greek meaning "best purpose". Um, best purpose to cause mayhem?

Topaz - English for "topaz". The name "Topaz" is derived from the Greek Τοpáziοs, an island now known as St. John's Island, Red Sea, Egypt.
post #14 of 103
Well I don't have any idea where I got my girls names and what they mean.
Lani is actually Kalani & Sparky is actually Kahlua which is a liqour. I named Kahlua first because she reminded me of the Kahlua & Cream drink. Then I kept looking for something for Lani. Lot of good it did, I don't call them by thier given names anyway
post #15 of 103
Zane is called Zane because he's Grey--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey

If he had been female, he would have been Jane--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Grey
post #16 of 103
Neely is Irish for Victor or Champion, and that couldn't be more on the money!
post #17 of 103
well, i'll look - but i doubt all of mine are on there!

here's what i found:
Cable - rope
Chip - either a free man or a present [he is the latter!]
Firefox - not there
Java - either upright/sincere or a jewel [she's the latter]
Pixel -
not there
Mouse - not there

post #18 of 103
ROSIE : Rosie is typically a nickname for names beginning with Rose. In J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings", Rosie Cotton was a hobbit who married Samwise Gamgee.

SOPHIE : Sophie is a traditional French name, derived from the Greek meaning "wisdom".

JACK : Though originally a nickname for John, Jack is frequently given as a stand-alone name today. In the UK, it has been the most popular name for baby boys for the last thirteen years.
post #19 of 103
Shadow is Shadow because she followed us around like a, well, Shadow.

Squirt is Squirt 'cause when he showed up he was just a lil' spit of a thing who liked to squirt on car tires!
post #20 of 103
Forrest: Of the Woods

Lilly Short for her real name "Lillith": Belonging to the night

Zachary: God has Remembered.
My husband picked out the name. When I looked up the meaning I was amazed. He was not considered "adoptable" by the first shelter he was in, and thankfully for us, was given to another rescue group where we found him. He is now the most loving and sweet boy. God did not forget him.
post #21 of 103
I have a Forrest, too...but he's not so much "of the woods" as of the dumpster (some awful person dumped him and his brother in a dumpster as kittens).

I had to revise the spelling a bit, but my other is Tailer. Taylor means "a tailor"...I guess that he does keep us in stitches.
post #22 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
Nora means "Honor".

The tortie I hope to get will be renamed either Millie, Nell or Penny.

Millie means "mild strength"

Penny means "with a web over her face"

Nell means "light"

Which do you think she looks like?
Hmm...I don't know her personality or anything, so I can't be sure if she has mild strength of not. I think all of the names themselves look like they'd suit her. This is a really tough decision. I think Millie is the best match...something about her just fits when you say it, "Millie..."
post #23 of 103
My cat's name is Raven.
Meaning of Raven- Blackbird(never woulda' guessed:P) Fits her because, of course, she is black. Also, her meow is very high pitched and honestly can sound like a birds tweet.

And then I am looking after three strays.
Jonathan-God Has Given-Not sure if it fits or not. He wandered into my feral cat trap, so he could have been given to me by an invisible hand
Silk-Didn't show up in name site, so looked it up in dictionary. A fine continuous protein fiber produced by various insect larvae usually for cocoons especially a lustrous tough elastic fiber produced by silkworms and used for textiles. I named her Silk because she has an especially soft, fine-furred coat.
Gabriel-God Is My Strength. He is a very muscular cat, but I don't think the meaning can be applied. I named him Gabriel after the angel, since he has never done a single thing wrong. Starting with using the litter box perfectly, to never scratching or hissing, to somehow knowing instantly that counters are not for jumping.
post #24 of 103
Only two of my girls showed up on the list. Iris means rainbow. Cali was there with but no meaning attached. I named her Cali because when she was born she was trying to be a calico, just didn't quite make it.

Shareena was named after a goddess in a (as yet unpublished) book that I've written.

Miss Patchwillow was called Patch when I got her, which I didn't think was a very attractive name for a girl kitten. One of my friends has written a children's story (also unpublished) about a witch named Mz. Patchwillow. My kitty isn't a witch, but I liked the name so I borrowed it.

Goldy is my golden girl. Her orange fur is light enough to be almost yellow and her eyes are golden.

Lion is self-explanatory.
post #25 of 103
Lucky: It means that I am very Lucky to have her on my life (hopefully she feels the same way too!)
post #26 of 103
Skinny = her physical condition when rescued
Wawa = short for "kawawa" a Filipino word meaning pitiful (condition when rescued)
QT = "cutee"
Ichi, Ni, San, Yon, Go = Japanese words for one, two, three, four, five (rescued orphan kittens)
Ashley, Buddy = Names for the first two letters of the alphabet. If I rescued more after them they would have been called Charlie, Dan, Elmo, etc.
Joji = no particular meaning. She responds to that name.
post #27 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitties View Post
Aplogies to those with cats without "human" names! Well, you can make up meanings then. It sounds like the meaning is right in the name already!

yeah you got that right

flash darts all over the place

sooty looks like hes dropped outta the chimney
post #28 of 103
our kitten is called Nala because she looks alot like Simbas girlfriend in the Lion King film.

check her out in the photos forum. i think the thread is called first photos of nala!!

post #29 of 103
My cats aren't in the list.. They are called Utu and Kuura. Those are finnish words and mean Mist and Frost. Both cats are named by their breeders and they got their names because they remind you of mist and frost, suits them well.
post #30 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Cali was there with but no meaning attached. I named her Cali because when she was born she was trying to be a calico, just didn't quite make it.
Cali means beautiful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What does your cat's name mean?