What does your cat's name mean?

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My response in the thread asking for cat name ideas inspired me to look up the meanings of my cats' names. So I went here: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect...ck-search.html and typed in each of my cat's names.
I thought it might be fun for us to see what our cats' names mean and see if the meanings actually match our cats!

Mine:
Felix: Happy, lucky, fortunate (This fits because he is a very happy-go-lucky cat. He's also lucky & fortunate because he was kicked in the jaw as a kitten, but somehow made it to the vet who decided to surgically rewire Felix's jaw together rather than put him to sleep. He was then adopted by us!)
Owen: Well born, well bred, uncertain (Well, I suppose this fits since he's the only cat I have that is close to being purebred, or "well bred.")
Lucy: Light (She is as white as snow)
Hermie: Man in army (This is funny. She's a small female cat, so I think this one is off just a bit.)
Simba: Lion (We named him Simba because he's got long tan/brown fur that looks like a lion! He even seems to have a little mane!)
Matilda: Powerful battler (Well, she survived her first three months outside in freezing temperatures and snow with only human food scraps to eat.)
Daisy: Day's eye (Hmm...she did have a bad eye infection that sealed her eye closed when we first got her.)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trent: Traveller; journey across (Hmmm, he hates traveling and screams the entire time he's in a carrier for any reason. And he was actually named for Trent Reznor because he would throw himself around when he played the same way Trent Reznor did on stage.)

Ophelia: Help; aid (Well, she was stuck in a wall when we rescued her, but she's not much help to anyone else!)

Ginger: Spring-like; flourishing (She certainly has flourished like a little flower since being brought inside in Ohio and coming home to Colorado. She's much more of a traveller than Trent!
)

Mojo: No baby name matches.
According to Dictionary.com it means: 1) A magic spell or charm; 2) An object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell; 3) Personal magnetism; charm. (She definitely has magnetism and charm, at least to people. To other kitties...not so much; she plays too rough.)

Annie:Grace; favour (That one matches to a tee!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

mine arnt on there but i wasn expecting that with them being called flash and sooty haha
Aplogies to those with cats without "human" names! Well, you can make up meanings then. It sounds like the meaning is right in the name already!

newkittylove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well my little girl has a boy's name meaning "God is good." I like that. Her name is Toby.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

mine arnt on there but i wasn expecting that with them being called flash and sooty haha
Originally Posted by MissKitties

Aplogies to those with cats without "human" names! Well, you can make up meanings then. It sounds like the meaning is right in the name already!
"Mojo" wasn't listed as a people name either - and I would be scared to meet a person named Mojo anyway! So I cheated and looked it up in the dictionary.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got Sophie - meaning Wisdom. This suits Sophie very well, she is my wisest cat!

Elmo - A popular sesame street character - he definitely is a character!

No results for Fluffy, Flutterby, Crowd Control, Paparazzi, Tales, Secrets or Sonic!

I'm suprised Elmo was there - who would call their kid that?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora means "Honor".

The tortie I hope to get will be renamed either Millie, Nell or Penny.

Millie means "mild strength"

Penny means "with a web over her face"

Nell means "light"

Which do you think she looks like?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine aren't human names, but I've named all my cats after characters in Greek Mythology to signify strength

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HUMBLE is a humble gray tabby cat. His personality fits his name.

Shenandoah is dark gray, like the mountains in the Shenandoah Valley.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aristotle - Greek meaning "best purpose". Um, best purpose to cause mayhem?

Topaz - English for "topaz". The name "Topaz" is derived from the Greek Τοpáziοs, an island now known as St. John's Island, Red Sea, Egypt.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I don't have any idea where I got my girls names and what they mean.
Lani is actually Kalani & Sparky is actually Kahlua which is a liqour. I named Kahlua first because she reminded me of the Kahlua & Cream drink. Then I kept looking for something for Lani. Lot of good it did, I don't call them by thier given names anyway

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane is called Zane because he's Grey--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey

If he had been female, he would have been Jane--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Grey

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Neely is Irish for Victor or Champion, and that couldn't be more on the money!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i'll look - but i doubt all of mine are on there!

here's what i found:
Cable - rope
Chip - either a free man or a present [he is the latter!]
Firefox - not there

Java - either upright/sincere or a jewel [she's the latter]
Pixel -
not there

Mouse - not there

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ROSIE : Rosie is typically a nickname for names beginning with Rose. In J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings", Rosie Cotton was a hobbit who married Samwise Gamgee.

SOPHIE : Sophie is a traditional French name, derived from the Greek meaning "wisdom".

JACK : Though originally a nickname for John, Jack is frequently given as a stand-alone name today. In the UK, it has been the most popular name for baby boys for the last thirteen years.

knottybuoyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shadow is Shadow because she followed us around like a, well, Shadow.

Squirt is Squirt 'cause when he showed up he was just a lil' spit of a thing who liked to squirt on car tires!

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forrest: Of the Woods

Lilly Short for her real name "Lillith": Belonging to the night

Zachary: God has Remembered.
My husband picked out the name. When I looked up the meaning I was amazed. He was not considered "adoptable" by the first shelter he was in, and thankfully for us, was given to another rescue group where we found him. He is now the most loving and sweet boy. God did not forget him.