My cat's name - ideas?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, after some TCS members were able to identify the kind of cat I have, I can say that I have a (now 6-7 week old) mackeral tabby with a very light grey underbelly and grey / dark-grey/black colorations in a tiger-type pattern. Her eyes haven't totally taken on their full adult color yet, but from what I can see, they're going to be green.

I had originally named her "Socks" in the spirit of the name of my dog. My dog is named after a Beverly Cleary novel character, so I named the cat Socks as that is the name of the cat in "Socks & Me" by Beverly Cleary. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't think about the fact that she doesn't have any sock/boot colorations, so I've had just about everybody who has met her ask me why I named her "Socks"..... so, I guess the name wasn't really appropriate for her and I'll just give up the whole Beverly Cleary character name thing and let it end with my beloved dog. The vet told me that within the first few weeks, changing names is common, so I guess I'm not the only person to have this come up.

I need ideas for names for my kitty.
Any help would be appreciated

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coming up with a name can be tough. I named two of mine after one of my favorite cartoons as a child, Rocky & Bullwinkle (Moose), and Lucy after Lucille Ball. You could also continue to call your cat Socks, even if she doesn't have any! : )
Good luck!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could get literary.

Hodge, after Dr. Ben Johnson's cat, who liked oysters.
Minnelouche, after the cat in the Keats poem.
Geoffery, after Christopher Smart's cat in "Rejoice in the Lamb."
Tybalt, the King of Cats in several fairy tales.
Pangor, after the Irish monk's cat in the "Hermit Songs". (Except Pangor is white.)

Then, of course, there are all the names in T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats."

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears that now people are naming their cats (and dogs) with people names (such as Sam). However, I read a book on raising kittens and there was a chapter on naming your kitten. It said as a result of extensive study it was determined that cats learn their name quicker if you use a two syllable name that ends in a long e sound. Therefore, you could take the name Sam and make it Sammy. My two cats names do not end in the letter e but do end with the long e sound; Persi & Alley. Some may scoff at this but that is what worked for me. Good luck!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With a username like LawGuy maybe you can do a law theme - either famous/admired lawyers or crimes or law terms?

newkittylove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally like people names myself as well. My dogs have always had people names so I have an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel named Charlie. We used to have a Cocker named Bradley, and before him an Old English Sheepdog named Winston!

Anyway I digress. I named my (female) kitten Toby, cuz I thought it just sounded cute and fit her somehow. Other names I like for girls are Bridget, Tiffany, or Zoe(y). Good luck!

catlover603

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read that cats respond better to short names than to longer names. But I guess it all depends on your personal preferences. You can choose cat names based on their appearance or personality. My cat's name is Max (he's a tabby). I like Socks, too.

Other names off the top of my head:

Leo
Jazz, Jazzy
Buzz
Chilli
Cody
Kobi

And since you have a tabby, consider:

Stripes
Tiger
Agouti

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MOST POPULAR CAT NAMES OF 2008
Max
Chloe
Tigger
Tiger
Lucy
Smokey
Oliver
Bella
Shadow
Charlie

I've had alot of cats in my life.....I always back then picked cats names....like

Friskey
Whiskers
Scooter
Smokey
Tigger
Kitty
Smudge
Mikey

My newest addition is Molly ( the Dolly)

Nancy

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you should just spend time with the cat and see what names seems to fit her. My animals always go several days without a name because I take a while to find the perfect name that is just "them." Maybe you could try picking out some characteristics that seem to fit the cat, then go to a baby names site, like this: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/ and search by meaning!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had so many feral cats come through my life that I've gone the route of colored names (Scarlett, Pinky, Ruby, Tanfoot, Blackie), musicians (Bob Marley, Koko Taylor, Muddy Waters, Hendrix, Morrison, Janis, etc), with the red tabby population, Irish names (Sean, Angus, Patrick), and other just on their general looks (Stumpy has 1/2 tail, Eightball is black/white, Paleface was washed out red).

But my favorite ones are those where I've held off and watched their personalities. Those we can't help you with. You'll come up with alternative nicknames for her anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You'll come up with alternative nicknames for her anyway.
I did that with my dog. His name is Ribsy, but I often call him "Snoops" short for "Snoopy" since over the years I found he best responds to me whistling the charlie brown theme song.

My parents have a nickname for him too. Unfortunately, it isn't too kind. They tend to call him ____head where "_____" is replaced by a word I prefer not to use that sounds like "pit".

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
name her Beezus! or Ellen, or Ramona, or Beverly, or Sheila, or Jane, or Barbara - all from Beverly Cleary books [except for Beverly, of course!]

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From Christopher Smart's "Rejoice in the Lamb":

For I will consider my cat Jeoffry.
For he is the servant of the living God.
Duly and daily serving him.

For at the first glance
Of the glory of God in the East
He worships in his way.
For this is done by wreathing his body
Seven times round with elegant quickness.
For he knows that God is his saviour.
For God has bless'd him
In the variety of his movements.
For there is nothing sweeter
Than his peace when at rest.

For I am possessed of a cat,
Surpassing in beauty,
From whom I take occasion
To bless Almighty God.
Rejoice in the Lamb

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine have Japanese names. Midori is "green" and we got her shortly after I began to study the language. Aya is also Japanese, and well, she's a Japanese cat so she needs a Japanese name. Here are a couple of others I haven't the opportunity of using yet....

Yuki -means snow

Tora -means tiger

Suki -means to like or "daisuke" which means love

Hana -means flower

Maguro -means tunafish, I know a big lazy old black cat by this name.

Momiji -means maple leaves

Aki -means fall, good for your autumn kittens

Jiji -the name of the cat from miyazawa's animated movie "Kiki's Delivery Service,"