Canadian Cell Phone Users.... help?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmkay.

I currently have a phone with Rogers. (pay as you go, currently). It's pretty old. I think i got it for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago.
I think it's a Motorola V190. yeah. old.

Anyway.

I've been wanting a new phone since it's old and all that junk.. but I'd really like to stay with Rogers. But I am finding it impossible to find a QWERTY keyboard phone that is NOT a Blackberry.

I text more than I talk so I'd really like to have the phones built for texting, like the LG Rumor or whatever.

So now I may have to turn to Bell/Solo or Telus to get the phone I want.. but I have heard horrible stories about both companies.

Like Bell rips you off and Telus has bad service.

So what I would like to know, is if you have a QWERTY phone, what company is it with?
How do you like it(company/phone)?
and what plan are you on/cost of monthly bill?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Solo and have the HTC 5800 phone, I'm on this: http://www.solomobile.ca/Plans_Rates...lan/Rates.aspx plan.

edit: I'm on the unbeatable 25 plan. (the link has their different plans)

I have had to return the phone once since I got it in Nov. (reason: when I'd slide the keyboard in, it would power off and I'd have to remove the battery to get it back on).

The biggest PITA about this phone is there is NO option to have a reminder beep if you miss a call or msg.

I have no problems with the plan I'm on. No issues with the company

Phone #2: My hubby's work phone. It's not a QWERTY, but his company is with Telus, and they've had no issues with them in the 6yrs the company has been with them.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Phone #2: My hubby's work phone. It's not a QWERTY, but his company is with Telus, and they've had no issues with them in the 6yrs the company has been with them.
Ditto! My boyfriend used Telus Pay-as-you-Go and I don't think he had any problems. In and around your area too!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention: since the OP mentioned hearing Telus had bad service....I'm not sure if customer service, or coverage area was meant.

We live outside of London, and hubby's work's office is in Windsor... He travels all over southern ON. From London to Sarnia, Windsor, Chatham, TO, etc and has never had an issue with no-service areas.

Edit: Total cost of my bill is about 40. The $25 plan plus ummm $9 for call display and call answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.

I meant coverage.
My cousin uses Telus, and he lives in Belmont, since you live outside of London you may know where that is.. and he gets little to no service out there. And with my job I go as far as Dutton. But even with my Rogers I very rarely get service in Sparta. So, I don't know.

Well.. so far I'm leaning towards either Solo for the LG Rumor, same plan that you have.

Or Telus for the KEYBO. But clueless for the plan. Unless I buy it outright and just go for the pay as you go.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Well.. so far I'm leaning towards either Solo for the LG Rumor, same plan that you have.

Or Telus for the KEYBO. But clueless for the plan. Unless I buy it outright and just go for the pay as you go.
The Rumor's are pretty good phones. My neighbours girls have them. One of em survived being dunked in our pool. (she had the phone in her bra which we did not know, dunked her in the pool phone and all)

The one downfall I've found to SOLO: no paper bills. If you want paper bills you have to pay extra money for it. You get an ebill every month, and it shows everything, but I would have liked to have known ahead of time that I wouldn't be getting a paper bill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help.

But I've just bought an unlocked T-Mobile Sidekick 3 (I've wanted one for ages!) from ebay and will just put it on my rogers plan.
Thank you to a friend who helped me through doing this!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an LG Rumour through Bell. It is a good phone. I am only with Bell because I have a corporate plan plus my fiance works for them so I get all the accessories really cheap.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have bell cell phones. They are older. Don't have the keyboard but I know they have some that do. We have used bell for 5 years. We have had no issues. We have a family plan.