What Is ALT In A Cat's Liver...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And what does it mean?

I just took Maverick into the vet today for his retest, and the ALT level came back higher than the first time - from 300-something, to 400-something. I have no idea what ALT is, or what it indicates.

Needless to say, I am heartsick over this.
I really had thought that the test results were gonna be better, b/c Mav is still eating and hasn't lost any weight. He's even been more active, and seems more like his usual self since starting his meds. The vet increased his dosage of the Prednisolone, and is keeping him on the Metronidazole & Denamarin. He wants me to bring Mav in for another retest in two weeks, and if the ALT thing hasn't improved, he recommends having an ultrasound done - which really presents a problem, b/c we've already spent a small fortune on Mav's vet visits & meds.

If anyone has any info or advice on this, I would greatly appreciate your input.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ALT stands for alanine aminotransferase.

If you want a medical definition of ALT:
http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/figlio/index.php

And a more layman's description of liver disease with different things that vet's look for to diagnose it:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/LiverDiseaseInCats.htm

If you want a list of what all the abbreviations in a CBC are:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/labreports.html

I've not had a cat with liver problems, so have no advice other than to read as much as you can about it so that you can the vet lots of questions.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth...

Cleo had IBD flare-ups every now and then, which require Flagyl (metronidazole) to get it back under control. Every single time she's been on the metronidazole, she runs high ALT. Once we've done the course of Flagyl, her ALT gradually returns to normal. I'm not sure if this is a common side effect or not, but you might want to run it by your vet. My vet just said that Cleo must be quite sensitive to the medication.

Cleo's ALT's were 411, 419, and 432, after each course of the metronidazole. I would get her re-checked approximately 2 weeks post Flagyl treatment, and her ALT's had dropped back down into the high side of normal. Now, a couple of years later, her ALT runs in the low normal range.

My vet prescribed Denosyl (post Flagyl) as a support for liver function. You might want to talk to your vet to see if Denosyl would be appropriate for Mavrick too.

Good luck to you and Mavrick. You are both in my prayers.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

For what it's worth...

Cleo had IBD flare-ups every now and then, which require Flagyl (metronidazole) to get it back under control. Every single time she's been on the metronidazole, she runs high ALT. Once we've done the course of Flagyl, her ALT gradually returns to normal. I'm not sure if this is a common side effect or not, but you might want to run it by your vet. My vet just said that Cleo must be quite sensitive to the medication.

Cleo's ALT's were 411, 419, and 432, after each course of the metronidazole. I would get her re-checked approximately 2 weeks post Flagyl treatment, and her ALT's had dropped back down into the high side of normal. Now, a couple of years later, her ALT runs in the low normal range.

Flagyl is notorious for causing liver issues... it is VERY common...

I have a cushings dog with liver issues ... her alt was in the 300 s and last time alk phos was in the 3000 s due partly to a medicine she was on...

PLEASE be very careful , cats with liver issues are much harder to handle than dogs ...

Stress can also raise this enzyme according to my vet ... plus being very young or old .. I learned that when my now 20 month old s had their blood done and one was slightly out ... ie like 5 points above normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For what it's worth...

My vet prescribed Denosyl (post Flagyl) as a support for liver function. You might want to talk to your vet to see if Denosyl would be appropriate for Mavrick too.

Now I'm really confused!
My vet told me that the Metronidazole was supposed to help with liver functions - not make it worse.
Maybe I should contact a different vet....

Is Denosyl the same thing as Denamarin?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...ronidazole.asp

Precautions

• Metronidazole causes birth defects in laboratory animals. It should be avoided in pregnant animals, especially in the first trimester. Some metronidazole is excreted in breast milk, and it should not be used in lactating animals.

• Metronidazole should not be used in young puppies and kittens.

• Metronidazole should be avoided or used with caution, at reduced doses, in animals with kidney or liver disease.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Flagyl is notorious for causing liver issues... it is VERY common...

I have a cushings dog with liver issues ... her alt last time was in the 3000 s due partly to a medicine she was on...

PLEASE be very careful , cats with liver issues are much harder to handle than dogs ...

Stress can also raise this enzyme according to my vet ... plus being very young or old .. I learned that when my now 20 month old s had their blood done and one was slightly out ... ie like 5 points above normal
^
^
See above...

When Mav was originally taken in for the urine thing and also given the blood panel which indicated the liver enzymes being high, the lady vet (there are two at the office: the female vet & the male vet) suggested that the liver enzyme elevation could be stress-related. I don't know what from - unless Mav can sense that I've been on edge lately. His environment hasn't changed too much, with the exception of Salem having her kittens.
But he is getting older: he'll be 14 next month.

This just doesn't make sense to me.
It seems to me that Mav should be getting worse - not better.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...ronidazole.asp

Precautions

• Metronidazole causes birth defects in laboratory animals. It should be avoided in pregnant animals, especially in the first trimester. Some metronidazole is excreted in breast milk, and it should not be used in lactating animals.

• Metronidazole should not be used in young puppies and kittens.

Metronidazole should be avoided or used with caution, at reduced doses, in animals with kidney or liver disease.
Now I'm getting really nervous!

ETA: I just printed out a copy of that attached link regarding the metronidazole, and am gonna show it to my vet(s). I am also gonna contact another vet for further advice....

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're not feeling comfortable with the diagnosis or treatment, don't hesitate to get a second opinion! It certainly can't hurt and it might help!

I did a quick Google search

Denosyl and Denamarin are both made by Nutramax Labs, and seem to be quite similar to each other.

Denosyl
http://www.medi-vet.com/Denosyl.aspx
Denosyl SD4 protects liver cells from cell death and is helpful in cell repair and healing. Denosyl SD4 elevates liver glutathione, the liver's main detoxifier, as well as supports overall liver health.
Denosyl SD4 (S-adenosylmethionine) is a nutritional supplement for use to aid in managing a variety of liver problems in dogs and cats. Possible applications of Denosyl SD4 as adjunct therapy could include dogs and cats with elevated liver enzymes and suffering from: hepatic lipidosis, breed-specific chronic hepatitis, feline liver disease, Cushing's Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Pancreatitis, etc.

Denamarin
http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...arin/index.asp
Denamarin is a liver supplement for dogs or cats containing S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) and silybin.

When liver function is compromised, the exact cause can often be difficult to determine. Supporting the liver, regardless of the cause, is essential if function is to be improved.

Administering SAMe, which is found in Denamarin, has been shown to markedly increase liver glutathione levels2,3, a potent antioxidant formed when cats and dogs metabolize SAMe. The SAMe in Denamarin has also been shown to help protect liver cells from cell death4,5 and may help cell repair and regeneration.1

Denamarin also helps support your petâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s liver through the administration of silybin. Silybin is the most active part of an extract from milk thistle known as silymarin.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you're not feeling comfortable with the diagnosis or treatment, don't hesitate to get a second opinion! It certainly can't hurt and it might help!

I did a quick Google search

Denosyl and Denamarin are both made by Nutramax Labs, and seem to be quite similar to each other.

Denosyl
http://www.medi-vet.com/Denosyl.aspx
Denosyl SD4 protects liver cells from cell death and is helpful in cell repair and healing. Denosyl SD4 elevates liver glutathione, the liver's main detoxifier, as well as supports overall liver health.
Denosyl SD4 (S-adenosylmethionine) is a nutritional supplement for use to aid in managing a variety of liver problems in dogs and cats. Possible applications of Denosyl SD4 as adjunct therapy could include dogs and cats with elevated liver enzymes and suffering from: hepatic lipidosis, breed-specific chronic hepatitis, feline liver disease, Cushing's Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Pancreatitis, etc.

Denamarin
http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...arin/index.asp
Denamarin is a liver supplement for dogs or cats containing S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) and silybin.

When liver function is compromised, the exact cause can often be difficult to determine. Supporting the liver, regardless of the cause, is essential if function is to be improved.

Administering SAMe, which is found in Denamarin, has been shown to markedly increase liver glutathione levels2,3, a potent antioxidant formed when cats and dogs metabolize SAMe. The SAMe in Denamarin has also been shown to help protect liver cells from cell death4,5 and may help cell repair and regeneration.1

Denamarin also helps support your petâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s liver through the administration of silybin. Silybin is the most active part of an extract from milk thistle known as silymarin.
Thanks for posting that, Pookie-Poo. Every tidbit helps.

I'm definitely gonna contact another vet ASAP for a second opinion.
And in the meantime, I don't think I'll continue to give Mav the Metro till I find out more about it. Maybe I shouldn't go against my vet's advice, but that link that Sharky posted really concerns me. I'm still gonna give him the Pred & Denamarin though, b/c the research I've done so far (and also the advice given) all indicate that those two drugs are common in treating liver problems. I just wish I knew exactly what's wrong with Mav's liver....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Thanks for posting that, Pookie-Poo. Every tidbit helps.

I'm definitely gonna contact another vet ASAP for a second opinion.
And in the meantime, I don't think I'll continue to give Mav the Metro till I find out more about it. Maybe I shouldn't go against my vet's advice, but that link that Sharky posted really concerns me. I'm still gonna give him the Pred & Denamarin though, b/c the research I've done so far (and also the advice given) all indicate that those two drugs are common in treating liver problems. I just wish I knew exactly what's wrong with Mav's liver....
FYI - it was pred that SKYROCKETED my dogs ALT( double the normal) and Alk phos( 3000 's way way high)

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_prednisone.html

Prednisone/Prednisolone use is likely to change liver enzyme blood testing and interfere with testing for thyroid diseases

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FYI - it was pred that SKYROCKETED my dogs ALT( double the normal) and Alk phos( 3000 's way way high)

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_prednisone.html

Prednisone/Prednisolone use is likely to change liver enzyme blood testing and interfere with testing for thyroid diseases
Did I misread somthing?
I thought you said it was the Metro?

Would it be different in cats than dogs??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Did I misread somthing?
I thought you said it was the Metro?

Would it be different in cats than dogs??
Flagyl can cause it , I have been warned about its use with my pup by 5 vets... hence when needed she is on a LOW LOW dose

I said A drug did skyrocket my pup... we know it was pred as that was the only drug she was on at the time ... Previous round s for allergies likely caused her condition or contributed greatly to it

All the side effects seem to be multi animal so dog and cat are very alike ...

Here is what I wrote with a bit of added info

I have a cushings dog with liver issues ... her alt was in the 300 s and last time alk phos was in the 3000 s due partly to a medicine she was on...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Flagyl can cause it , I have been warned about its use with my pup by 5 vets... hence when needed she is on a LOW LOW dose

I said A drug did skyrocket my pup... we know it was pred as that was the only drug she was on at the time ... Previous round s for allergies likely caused her condition or contributed greatly to it

All the side effects seem to be multi animal so dog and cat are very alike ...

Here is what I wrote with a bit of added info

I guess I'm just too tired & burnt out right now to digest all this. It's been a rough day.
I should probably reread everything tomorrow, after I've had a chance to recoup.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I guess I'm just too tired & burnt out right now to digest all this. It's been a rough day.
I should probably reread everything tomorrow, after I've had a chance to recoup.
I know it is alot to deal with

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have much help, other than that I am following this as i also have a cat with high ALT - his bloods in general were dire, and then a vet decided to give him a GA for a dental, so his could actually be worse now. Luckily his only symptoms are excessive drinking and weeing, although he is now showing signs of constipation. He is the third cat I have had with liver issues, and the only one that has eaten loads - if I didn't have a thyroid result for him, i would be convinced he was hyper-t.

one of my other foster cats had a 2 week steroid jab, and it meant we couldn't test his liver/kidney function as the steroid jab can raise both, I have had to wait a month after the 2 week jab to make sure that we are going to get an accurate reading, so maybe that is why his readings are higher?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats typically do not have as adverse reaction to pred as do dogs and people. It can cause problems in some cats, and those are more likely diabetes related than anything else, but cats seem to adjust themselves to it when they are on it long term. I've had 3 vets tell me this, as I have 2 of my cats on it long term. One has been on it for 2 years now and the other for a few months.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, do NOT just suddenly stop the Prednisone.....even if you fear that it may be contributing to the elevated ALT. Corticosteroids can never be stopped abruptly, the cat must be slowly weaned off the med.

So KittKatt, refresh my memory....did you ever actually get a diagnosis here?

I would be consulting with another Vet. Others are right, the Metronidazole and Pred can increase the ALT.........so my question would be, does kitty even still need these? He's been on them for a long time now. Even cats w/ hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) wouldn't require meds for this long (except maybe the Denamarin, I don't see any problem with that one - it's only helping to heal the liver).

Why did the Vet even put Mav on the Metronidazole to begin with? Was Mav having diarrhea in the beginning? I'd sure be questioning why he's still on it (it's been a good 6 weeks or so, has it not?). No med should be given indefinitely.

What I would recommend is this.............request a copy of Mav's labwork from current Vet, ask them for photocopies of it. Just tell them you want to keep a record so that you can see his history. Many of us keep records of our kitty's labwork, so it's not unusual. It's your right to ask.

Then see if you can find a recommendation for a good vet in your area.....preferably see if you can find a Vet clinic that specializes just in cats............look in the Yellow Pages of your phone book under Veterinarians...scan the listings, see if there's a clinic just for cats. Then take all your labwork in with you, along with the actual meds you're giving.............and share your concerns re: the Metronidazole and (now increased) Prednisone..............ask if it might not be time to stop the Met and wean off the Pred.............you're concerned that these are elevated the ALT and it's creating a vicious cycle............because these meds are causing this elevated, current Vet thinks there's still something going on with Liver so wants you to keep on the meds............you know?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arthur & Chester are having liver problems right now too. To save yourself some money you can buy Milk Thistle pills instead of the Denamarin. I had one pack of the Denamarin from the vet for $40 for 30 pills. I told him it was too expensive and he said it was ok to just give milk thistle (just bought a bottle of 200 pills for about $11). Also, I would ask your vet about the ALT/other medications, any questions you have they should be willing to take the time to answer for you.