so i am making the switch...

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am switching to all canned food. it is going to cost me about twice the price that i am paying now but i am just going to have to cut costs somewhere else. frodo is just so chubby! he needs to lose weight. we feed kibble and canned food right now (orijen and canned wellness). i just have a few questions that you guys might be able to help with! i am sure that you will be able to help because there seems to be lots of very knowledgeable people here!

so, do i need to get diet vet canned food for frodo to lose weight or can i feed him wellness or eagle pack holistic select canned food and get the same results? i chose those two because i am happy with the ingredients (and the price) and i know that my cats like them. they are very picky! i know that canned food helps them to feel full faster and longer, so i don't think that i will need to get the vet food. i am sure my vet won't try to convince me to get the food from her clinic, she is very good about it actually. when i tell her what i feed them she looks it up on the internet (she always has a laptop for her notes and to look up things) and tells me what she thinks about the food. so far i have not fed any food that she has said is bad! haha! she is a very good vet.

also, frodo seems to be very kibble addicted. will i have a lot of trouble switching him to canned only, do you think? he is extremely vocal and will tell me exactly what he wants when he wants it, so i really don't want to end up having weeks of meowing because he wants his kibble! what do you think we can do to make the switch easier on him? i still have quite a bit of kibble (orijen) and i was thinking that i would just gradually feed less kibble and more canned food.

i can't think of any other questions at the moment but i am sure that more will come to me
we are going to the vet on tuesday coming to get frodo some blood work since he has been on a diet for about a year now and hasn't lost any weight, and also both kitties need their yearly check up.

thanks in advance!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seems like you have a good plan. I do not know about diet canned foods. I do know that many diet foods have higher carbs/grains and sometimes that is not the best for a healthy weight loss. Many have lost weight going to an all wet food.

Great that you are working with an understanding vet on nutrition.

This thread may help converting the dry food addicts.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163739

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wellness should be fine for the diet. You can call the company every month and they will send you 5 dollars in coupons. (use to be 10) You can get the 12 1/2 oz cans for around 2 dollars so that may help save a bit.
As far as a dry food addict goes, your cat already eats some canned so you are ahead of the game. Be a bit stubborn. Good Luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Wellness should be fine for the diet. You can call the company every month and they will send you 5 dollars in coupons. (use to be 10) You can get the 12 1/2 oz cans for around 2 dollars so that may help save a bit.
As far as a dry food addict goes, your cat already eats some canned so you are ahead of the game. Be a bit stubborn. Good Luck
plus ask your local store if they have case discounts... I saved the = to one and a half 13oz cans just by asking...

Also try other high end foods when on sale ...IMHO using more than one brands now is quite smart as NO company is fool proof

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the advice!

i will try different companies for the canned food, but, to be completely honest it will mostly likely always be the 2 i mentioned already because they are the cheapest at my pet food store. they don't ever have sales there, or at least, i have not seen a sale there in the year that i have been going there. it is global pet foods in canada. i do have a card that if i buy 12 cases of wellness canned food (24 5.5oz cans) i will get a case for free. the case of wellness costs ~$42. a case of 24 5.5oz cans of eagle pack holistic select costs ~$37. i don't know if eagle pack has the same sort of deal. it seems that all the foods that i have bought there have some sort of deal like that. i just got a free bag of orijen kibble the last time i went to get it...i guess it will be the last one! works out great! i think that frodo will be ok with the switch after a while. i tried to switch them to a lower calorie kibble a while back but they would have nothing to do with it!! he ate a lot of the canned food then!

i am going to go to the vet first and see what she says, if he needs blood work or not, before i buy any more food. i still have a bunch of the orijen and wellness for now. i really want a healthy, sleek kitty! i wonder if the diet of all canned will do anything else, like make their coats softer (don't know if that is possible!) like is says in the link to the other thread? i will have to take pictures of them every week and see how it goes!

thanks again for the advice