Dr. Maggie's Joint Formula

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else tried this product?

http://www.drmaggie.ca/products_joint.html

Kasey, our 8 to 10 year old recue torti (brought home May 2008), for about eight weeks now.

While I don't believe it is a "miracle cure", I have seen some encouraging changes.

I took Kasey out of one of our company sites, she has know me since she was brought there as a kitten since work takes me there occassionaly. I took her away last spring because things were not going as well for her there as in the past.

She walks just fine, can run and plays like a young cat but cannot jump and when she sits, she favours her left rear leg.

I asked the vet abut it during a check-up, he said she has had some sort of injury, not a broken bone but more like a muscle/tendon/cartilige type injury that surgery would not repair.

After 5 weeks on these tablets I noticed she was starting to do the long, lazy "cat stretch" when she gets up, first the front legs then a full stretch of the rear legs and seems quite comfortable doing it. This was interesting because I never observed her do this from May to Novemeber.

I don't expect it will ever make it so she can jump three feet in the air (at least as an indoor cat, she doesn't need to) but she seems more comfortable.

I have a bit more of Kasey's story, here;

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184623

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, it wasn't, it was something I found in a pet shop.

I did a bit of research on it, talked to some people who had used it and thought it at least it would not do any harm and might have some benifits.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ingreds are:

500 mg Glucosamine Hydrochloride (HCl)
400 mg Chondroitin Sulfate

50 mg Vitamin C
Natural chicken flavour

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are great for arthritis in both pets and humans
The combo has been shown to lubricate joints and much more.

My dog has arthritis in her hips ( diagnosed via xray) and my vet recommended a supplement similiar...being on a limited income, I inquired about using the human supplements. The vet gave me the correct dosage and I've been using it with Brandy since then. Her followup xrays (1yr after) showed slight improvement... ( no worsening, which is what might have happened if I did not give her the supplement)

If you find cost an issue, definately talk to your vet about using the human supplement.

I am very "pro" G&C because of the personal experience I've had with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The ingreds are:

500 mg Glucosamine Hydrochloride (HCl)
400 mg Chondroitin Sulfate

50 mg Vitamin C
Natural chicken flavour

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are great for arthritis in both pets and humans
Yes, I understand these products are in some foods for senior animals.

Thanks for the tip on the human equivalent; I am fortunate to still be employed in what is so far a 32 year career so cost isn't an issue, fortunately; although at least from my perspective, the cost of this product isn't too bad.

She expects the dosage and askes for it now, because it is wraped in a very small piece of cheese to make it go down
That is the only concession in the house to our "no people food" rule.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Claydust

Yes, I understand these products are in some foods for senior animals.

Thanks for the tip on the human equivalent; I am fortunate to still be employed in what is so far a 32 year career so cost isn't an issue, fortunately; although at least from my perspective, the cost of this product isn't too bad.

She expects the dosage and askes for it now, because it is wraped in a very small piece of cheese to make it go down
That is the only concession in the house to our "no people food" rule.
LOL, too funny.

I know when my vet was recommending products, price was substantially more than the human supplement. About 4x as expensive, and there was no way I could justify that if I could get the same thing for less money.

I guess my main thought was just to share the experience I've had with a G&C supplement. If it seems to help with your kitty, I would definately continue with it on a regular basis (just make sure to mention it if your kitty needs meds for another reason, in case there's any contradictions). I found with Brandy (my dog), if I stop the supplement, she tends to get the wobble in her hips again. (I ran out once, and let it go for 6wks) So it is now a regular supplement that I always keep onhand. I have missed a day here and there with no ill effects, but it seemed that 6wks was too long and her symptoms started reappearing.