Minor issue with Wilbur's collar

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using collars on my kitties for the first time. I cut the bells off, and that seemed to stop them from being bothered.

But lately wilbur keeps scratching at his collar and shaking his head fast to get rid of it.

tinker is just peachy fine and doesn't care.

Is it ok to let wilbur repeatedly scratch at it? all it does is go in circles but i don't want it irritating his skin

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats take longer than others to get used to the collar. With my two, Stan shook his head for a few minutes and that was it. Bella will scratch at it, try to get her paw under it, rub on the carpet, etc...she just hates the collar. We know it's not too tight ( you can get 2-3 fingers under it) and her skin is OK (no sores or irritation) she just doesn't like it.

Stan had a much easier time with the harness & leash too. If they've never worn collars it might just take him some time. I agree on the bells, that would drive me nuts, I can't image if I had hearing as good as their's...

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

all it does is go in circles but i don't want it irritating his skin
My two took a while to get used to theirs, and for a few weeks Pumpkin would keep having these random episodes of collar spinning; it took her a while to get completely used to it.

I'd give it time, he'll probably forget it's there, eventually.

newkittylove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't get the collar on Toby, she thinks it's a toy. I need someone else to help me! I might hire someone experienced with kittens to help me with that and her nails, cuz most of my friends are busy and/or too timid.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep - he'll get over it... Lucky was the same way, and sometimes she still scratches, or tries to bite the tag off. Now she is fine with it. I also removed the bell - It was driving me up the walls!