Deworming Question

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm asking this question for a friend.

Assuming a cat has worms/parasites, how long would it take the worms to die off after the cat is dewormed? I've read that kittens and stray cats are dewormed at least twice, within a few weeks of each other. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's to kill off any new worms hatching & to make sure they're all gone.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

I'm asking this question for a friend.

Assuming a cat has worms/parasites, how long would it take the worms to die off after the cat is dewormed? I've read that kittens and stray cats are dewormed at least twice, within a few weeks of each other. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks!
Harley's been on Drontal for tapeworms; the day after she had the first pill, I didn't see anymore segments on her, so I'm assuming that it's pretty fast in killing the adult. The second treatment is to kill off any larvae - it takes three weeks for them to go from an egg to a larvae, so if you missed any the first time, you get them with the second treatment. My vet also wanted her to take a third dose, just to make sure.

Now, I'm not sure about roundworms, but I'm sure someone else will come along and let you know.