Does this sound like the flu to you?TMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the past couple days I have had temperatures ranging from 99.34(basal)- 103.21(mid day). I also have been having some seriously painful stomach cramps. Followed by gas and diarrhea. Won't go into detail with that last bit.
Well I go to the bathroom like every 45 minutes and am in there for at least 20. I have been trying to sip water to keep hydrated but it just seems to upset my stomach even more. I tried some crackers last night and they came right back up after going down. I took some gravol but they did not help one bit. I hate being sick. today I had to go out for a bit and was so dizzy. I nearly fainted a couple times. the worst of all being as I was crossing a busy road. I haven't got my flu shot this year.
Go figure.
Also my head feels really huge. I am not stuffed up at all. but i feel like one more massive sneeze could send my head to outer space. Okay well maybe I exagerated just a little.
When I bend down I get a horrible pressure behind my eyes. And also have a constant headache. Could this be the flu?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flu would cause the fever and other stuff, but not diarrhea or any nausea or vomiting. That is caused by a stomach/intestinal virus and can't be prevented by the flu shot.

The flu is actually a sudden onset (I mean like one minute you are fine and 1/2 an hour later you feel terrible and are coughing up a lung) of fever, coughing, and other general "cold" like symptoms, but extremely exaggerated. We had a sudden onset of the flu at the hospital I worked at last year and it was terrible.

I hope you feel better!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The flu is a respiratory illness, not a stomach one.

Chances are you have that stomach virus that is going around. I had it early December and was so sick with fever, chills, vomiting and after about 12 hours, diarrhea.

Nothing much you can do for that other than to try and stay hydrated by drinking water or gingerale and getting lots of rest. And stay home from work for 2 days after you feel better. It's highly contagious.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've nearly fainted? With your fever and diarrhea, you may want to considered calling your doctor tomorrow or even seeing if you can get IV fluids soon. You shouldn't be near fainting from what should only be minor dehydration...

Is it normal diarrhea or "never had this type of icky diarrhea before in your life" type? If it's the latter, you should get yourself to a doctor and have them do a stool test. The reason for this? A virus isn't likely to kill you, but bacteria can.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a really nasty intestinal virus going around right now...DH and I are passing it back and forth.
It actually made the news because so many people are getting it, and you can't do anything about it except let it run its course. It sounds like that may be what you have...on top of the flu.

The only thing I can recommend is rest and fluids. If you almost passed out, I would say you need to really push the fluids. Gatorade with crushed ice works the best for me, and calms my stomach. Also, drinking jello warm helps for some reason. As for the other end...can you take immodium or something like that? I know I had to leave work early today because I couldn't stay out of the bathroom (TMI, I know!). Immodium actually calmed that part down quite a bit.

I hope you feel better soon!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

As for the other end...can you take immodium or something like that? I know I had to leave work early today because I couldn't stay out of the bathroom (TMI, I know!). Immodium actually calmed that part down quite a bit.
Only one problem. If this is not a virus Immodium can be very bad to take.

None of us here know for certain what she has, so suggesting OTC meds that could potentially be harmful is a bad idea.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
103.5 is a substantial fever. I would call your doctor. Tomorrow morning! Of course, 98.6 is normal. 100.4F is considered a temp ... anything from there up is not good.

It may just be viral... or bacteria may have moved in piggy back style. This happens to me with resp. infections... (My dad was a dr.).

ETA: fluids, fluids, fluids. Clear stuff. Water, tea, chicken broth. Ginger-ale or 7-up... not too much sugary stuff. Ginger is actually good for nausea.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to drink something with electrolytes in it. I suggest Pedialyte. Gatorade is too sugary. Make sure you keep fluids going.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
To me it sounds like an intesinal virus or food poisoning of some sort. Either way, with a fever like that, I'd get in to see a doctor ASAP.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Only one problem. If this is not a virus Immodium can be very bad to take.

None of us here know for certain what she has, so suggesting OTC meds that could potentially be harmful is a bad idea.
I agree, besides Immodium is bad to take regardless of what is causing the symptoms. Your body is flushing itself for a reason, and just letting it run its course will get rid of it faster. Trying to stop diarrhea with a medication like that can keep you sick longer, and as the pp said it can cause severe problems if you have a bacterial infection. Just take a bunch of fluids, get rest, and if it doesn't go away soon go to the doctor.

btw, 103+ fever in an adult is pretty high. You should probably go to the dr anyway.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just like to point out that GI symptoms DO NOT rule out influenza as people keep stating. Though more common in children than adults, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting can be associated with flu. Indeed, when I was diagnosed (culture confirmed) with influenza last April - those were my biggest problems (may be important to note I have a bad GI system). I was rehydrated with 3L of saline and admitted to the hospital overnight at the worst of it. Mind you, my other flu symptoms were very flu like - sudden onset with high fever, headache, cough, extreme fatigue and muscle aches. If you are not experiencing any of those, it is most likely some form of stomach virus.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

I would just like to point out that GI symptoms DO NOT rule out influenza as people keep stating. Though more common in children than adults, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting can be associated with flu. Indeed, when I was diagnosed (culture confirmed) with influenza last April - those were my biggest problems (may be important to note I have a bad GI system). I was rehydrated with 3L of saline and admitted to the hospital overnight at the worst of it. Mind you, my other flu symptoms were very flu like - sudden onset with high fever, headache, cough, extreme fatigue and muscle aches. If you are not experiencing any of those, it is most likely some form of stomach virus.
Same here....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have called the doctor and can't get in until monday afternoon. Today seems to be the worst of all. I cannot keep anything down again. Which sucks. I am normally a big eater. Like a huge eater.
so for me not to be able to eat sucks hugely. I am still feeling faint and such. My temp has gone to 104 today but came back down to 99.23 after a cool bath. if my temp goes up that high again I am going to get s/o to bring me to the hospital.

and calico222 thanks for the bear

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't keep anything down you really should go to the ER. Please ask them to do a stool sample, it sounds gross and they may look at you like you're crazy for requesting it but if this is more than a virus they can accidentally misdiagnose and treat you for the wrong thing.

Improper ER treatment is partially why I ended up in the hospital back in August.

Have you taken any antibiotics in the last 3-4 months?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you taken any antibiotics in the last 3-4 months?
yes i was antibiotics for an ear infection. I am going to call my neighbour to see if she will give me a ride

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSlave101

yes i was antibiotics for an ear infection. I am going to call my neighbour to see if she will give me a ride
This is very important information. Make sure to tell them this as antibiotics tend to have the bad side effect of killing off our good bacteria and leaving the bad (and resistant to many antibiotics) bacteria to over grow unchecked.

Good luck, and I hope you can get over this soon. They'll probably give you an anti-nausea med that may make you sleepy, so you'll need a ride home too.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to Karen earlier, and she was just heading to the hospital. Her ride was stuck in traffic so she ended up calling an ambulance as her fever was 105F

Feel better soon

Status
Not open for further replies.