New Stray Kitten Is Deaf!!

katzandogs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A stray kitten arrived on our front porch in Nov. '08. Out Vet confirmed that she is deaf when "Nancy" (from "NC" for "New Cat") was declawed (front only) so she could stay inside. We have four other cats, 3 strays and one "foundling". Nancy has made "Doc" (from " Dropped Off Cat"), our 17 lb neutered male love bug cuddler as her "ears". She's about 4mos old now and we have never had a deaf animal around. I know I'm probably spoiling her but isn't that what pets are for?...kinda' like grandkids! The info on the forum if you google "deaf cat" is pretty old so I hope some of you who have a deaf cat will share your knowledge with us. thanks and "Blessed Be!"

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

I don't understand exactly what you're looking for? I don't see a question

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katzandogs

A stray kitten arrived on our front porch in Nov. '08. Out Vet confirmed that she is deaf when "Nancy" (from "NC" for "New Cat") was declawed (front only) so she could stay inside. We have four other cats, 3 strays and one "foundling". Nancy has made "Doc" (from " Dropped Off Cat"), our 17 lb neutered male love bug cuddler as her "ears". She's about 4mos old now and we have never had a deaf animal around. I know I'm probably spoiling her but isn't that what pets are for?...kinda' like grandkids! The info on the forum if you google "deaf cat" is pretty old so I hope some of you who have a deaf cat will share your knowledge with us. thanks and "Blessed Be!"
Welcome! I have a deaf cat, Clyde, that joined our family so he wouldn't be an only cat in his former household when his buddy died. I see you noticed that a deaf cat needs another cat as ears, which is a step a lot of people don't make.
About the only thing I can add is that we stomp on the floor for Clyde when it's feeding time. Also, be careful about locking Nancy into rooms, we've done that with Clyde. You can "call" her if it's night time by clicking on and off the lights. And you may notice that she will watch you more carefully than other cats - Clyde is a face-watcher. Oh, and if she is sleeping, move the bed or couch or whatever first before waking her up by touching.

Well. I see I did have some things to add, LOL.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck finding a deaf kitty when they're asleep/not looking at you!

I've got 2 deaf girls....stomping the floor & flicking the lights as mentioned are good ways to get their attention. You have to watch when going in/out the doors as they often slip through your feet unnoticed.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Good luck finding a deaf kitty when they're asleep/not looking at you!

I've got 2 deaf girls....stomping the floor & flicking the lights as mentioned are good ways to get their attention. You have to watch when going in/out the doors as they often slip through your feet unnoticed.
Ha ha, you have to be kidding! Clyde is ALWAYS asleep. Actually it makes me feel good because I know he trusts us that he can sleep that soundly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzandogs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The request is a sharing of what you've learned re: living with deaf cats...question is implied.
Thanks!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had to deal with a deaf animal, but I understand they can be taught some hand signals. I think that's the case with dogs, don't know about kitties. Worth looking into.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut is deaf, but she has an advantage. She grew up with Sassy, and Sassy acts as her ears. Eating, sleeping, playing, always together and always where Peanut can see Sassy, so if she were to dart away or go hide, Peanut will go too. But this system isn't foolproof
At feeding time, if Sassy comes to the kitchen but Peanut doesn't, it means she's asleep somewhere. I keep a rubber mallet in the kitchen, and will strike it on the floor a few times. This usually brings her running.

We had to make a few minor changes. Peanut likes to lay on the bed, as it's close to the window and watch the outside world. Sometimes another cat would trot into the bedroom and leap onto the bed. As she couldn't hear them coming, she was always startled when that happened. So, I put an oriental folding screen in front of the bedroom door. This way, the other cats had to go around the screen, and would have to enter into her field of vision so she would know they were there.

But the cutest thing she does, she has discovered that if she is touching my face, she can "feel" what I'm saying to her. So, she will stand on my lap or chest, with her head pushed against my chin, almost like she is frozen in the middle of a headbump, as long as I keep talking to her