Is this progress? (Kitty Introduction)

greeneyes86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I posted the other day with some questions regarding the introduction of our new kitten to my old cat, and now we have a new situation that I have more questions about!

The last couple of days we made some good progress with Coco (cat) & Hallow (kitten). We put the gate up and I was in the room playing with Hallow while Coco was watching from afar, and after about 20 minutes of me ignoring Coco and chilling with the kitten, she very cautiously approached the gate, and the two of them sniffed again, and Coco hissed once (defensively, not aggressively). After that encounter she was fine and I gave her treats so she was a happy cat.

Last night, due to a few lapses in door-closing, they ended up in the same room together on two different occasions...the first time for about 20 minutes, and when I found them, they were at opposite ends of the room and Coco was sitting and staring at Hallow, and Hallow was sitting and wondering why she didn't want to play with him, but as far as I know he didn't approach her. And then the second time was this morning when Hallow got out of his room and came into the bedroom (Coco was on the bed), and circled the room a few times and Coco just watched him but didn't move or show any interest beyond watching.

I wasn't planning on either of those situations happening, and while both cats are obviously unscathed and mentally fine, I'm not sure if it was progress or if it could have stressed Coco out. We have let Hallow roam the apartment with Coco closed in the bedroom twice, and he is very very cautious (which I expected). Now that we know he won't bother or harass Coco, is it okay to let them warm up to each other without barriers now? Or should we keep Hallow separated by a gate/door for a few more days?

Thanks all!

(Coco)
(Hallow)

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's no "fireworks", you can leave them together, under your supervision. They'll work things out, but if it gets really dicey, separate them again and allow brief visits. Try giving them some treats together; food is a good way to reinforce positive feelings. Good luck! They're two sweet kitties!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

If there's no "fireworks", you can leave them together, under your supervision. They'll work things out, but if it gets really dicey, separate them again and allow brief visits. Try giving them some treats together; food is a good way to reinforce positive feelings. Good luck! They're two sweet kitties!
Find something they both like, and let them have it at the same time. For Nova and our foster kitten, it was a toy ball they both really enjoyed playing with. I rolled a ball to each of them, and then they wanted to play together.
(It probably also depends on their personalities. Nova and my foster were both very sweet girls.)

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two that do not do well playing together, they're too competitive. I play with them at the same time, but with separate toys away from each other.

triv85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw, Hallow looks exactly like my kitten Zoe. She even has that white "eyebrow" going from her eye to her ear.