Patrick Swayze....

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was on Barbara Walters tonight..did anyone else watch this??

I admit I teared up several times.

Very, very touching interview.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see it, but I noticed something on Yahoo about him (didn't get a chance to read it, though). I guess he's not doing too well. Doesn't he have cancer??

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah they showed it here in Oz only a few hours ago. I didn't watch all but alot of it.

He does look very different. And funny how reporters were saying he was dying, and he was getting angry about that, but i don't actually recall him saying anything about getting better but that he could 'go' at any minute..

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was on breakfast t.v. here, and it was so sad
You could see the amount of weight he'd lost because his teeth looked more prominent, and that's the way my brother looked when he was dying with cancer

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched it. I thought that the interview was really good....it gave a lot of insight into what a determined and strong person he is. I think it's wonderful how awesome his wife is too.

I do want to kick his butt for still smoking though!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is in treatment (chemo) for pancreatic cancer. It is inoperable. There is no cure, but he is trying to stay alive in hopes that there will be one. He said he's thinking he might make it 2-5 years. His wife said its like a nightmare you don't wake up from.

He quit taking painkillers so he could stay sharp for his new show. What a guy!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

The thing is though Nikki, i doubt he even has the 2 years that he's said because it's a bad part that he has it in
Smoking probably relaxes him, because God knows what's going around his head when the house is at it's most silent?

When my brother was dying of lung and bone cancer my sil wouldn't let him smoke anymore. My niece asked him one day if he didn't fancy a cigarette, and he said he would kill for one but couldn't because of Sandra.

He was dead within 6 months of diagnosis, so what was the point of stopping because it certainly didn't expand his life span

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

There is no cure for pancreatic cancer. Frankly I'm surprised that he's lived this long after his diagnosis. Most people who a diagnosed with that die within a few months. The fact that he's made it a year means nothing. His case is still terminal and he will die from the cancer, and it isn't going to be measured by "years." I'm sorry to say but he probably won't live to see another New Year

Given that, why not allow him the vices that make him happy? If he wants to smoke or drink himself into a stupor each day, it's not going to do him anymore harm. Quitting smoking isn't going to prolong his life.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

He is in treatment (chemo) for pancreatic cancer. It is inoperable. There is no cure, but he is trying to stay alive in hopes that there will be one. He said he's thinking he might make it 2-5 years. His wife said its like a nightmare you don't wake up from.

He quit taking painkillers so he could stay sharp for his new show. What a guy!

I thought it was pancreatic cancer. My uncle died of that 2.5 years ago. When they found it- it had already spread and there wasn't much the doctors could do about it.

He does look like he's lost an awful lot of weight.

Did I mention I HATE CANCER! I've lost 2 immediate family members to it (dad and my uncle) and a friend of mine lost her mom to cancer 1.5 years ago.

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

I thought it was pancreatic cancer. My uncle died of that 2.5 years ago. When they found it- it had already spread and there wasn't much the doctors could do about it.

He does look like he's lost an awful lot of weight.

Did I mention I HATE CANCER! I've lost 2 immediate family members to it (dad and my uncle) and a friend of mine lost her mom to cancer 1.5 years ago.

Cheryl
Ooops- forgot to add this.

Hm, maybe I should go into oncology when I get my RN.

Cheryl

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

Ooops- forgot to add this.

Hm, maybe I should go into oncology when I get my RN.

Cheryl
Wow. I hate cancer too.
That would be so depressing, but even more rewarding. Working in that field is a wonderful way to fight it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmother's biggest regret, was just after my Grandfather died. She went to check the mail, in their appartment mail box. She found a package of cigarettes and a small flask of rye. My Grandfather had always gotten the mail. She knew he was dying ,so she forbide him from smoking and having his little nip of Rye every day. She said If she knew it gave him comfort. she never would have taken everything away from him. That was 20 years ago It still upsets her.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't watch it but saw the commercials and I was very surprised, not to be morbid, that he was still alive. Like others have mentioned, pancreactic cancer is very often a swift killer

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it, too. It was heartbreaking to see how awful he looks. I was also amazed by the amount of spirit and determination he's showing. I really hope he makes it, but I seriously doubt he will.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get a chance to watch it on TV, but it is on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pPw...eature=related
For those that missed it it's a 5 part video.

I really have to admire his spirit and determination. I love that he is angry at the disease...that is a good thing and may help him for a while. Some questions and his and Lisa's replies brought tears to my eyes.