TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Pet Pics › We took the tape off her ears (doberman puppy)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

We took the tape off her ears (doberman puppy)

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
We took the tape off for a day, but it's back on now. It will be on another week, off for a day, and probably on for another week at least. She's soooooo cute She's awful at standing still though









The poor thing lost some hair when we pulled the tape off We soaked it with baby oil before we pulled it off, but it was still really sticky. Any advice?


With mommy


With my little sister. Excuse the mess, our living room is a puppy haven!!! Also, I don't use puppy pads to train with. I have it there so when I find her peeing/pooing inside I can put her on that while I grab my coat and her leash. She usually stops once I pick her up, but at least it gets a little bit. Our poor carpet is going to need a good cleaning once she's potty trained....I really want to buy one of those spot cleaner shampooer things. Anyone have one of those?


Outside with Thor and mommy


Me
post #2 of 28
She is a sweetie. I have a litttle carpet cleaner bissel. It works really well, for in the house or the car. I use it all of the time
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
She is a sweetie. I have a litttle carpet cleaner bissel. It works really well, for in the house or the car. I use it all of the time
Oooooo the car!!!! I didn't even think of that! One of those would be really nice! And probably well work the money! I think they've got down quite a bit. Around $70 now?
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Oooooo the car!!!! I didn't even think of that! One of those would be really nice! And probably well work the money! I think they've got down quite a bit. Around $70 now?
I was really impressed with how well they work. You just have to fill the tank and empty it a lot.
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
I was really impressed with how well they work. You just have to fill the tank and empty it a lot.
Cool! I'll have to look into getting one!
post #6 of 28
Mammoth paws! I'll be interested to see how big she gets when she grows up - what does she weigh now? From her paws I'd say she'll be huge, but her parents did not look that big!
post #7 of 28
She is so sweet I have always liked dobies, my grand parents had one when we were kids.
post #8 of 28
She's gorgeous!
post #9 of 28
Hahah omg what a cutie!! Thanks for making me smile at work lol. You have a beautiful baby there.
post #10 of 28
What a cutie!. Bet she's a handful!
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Mammoth paws! I'll be interested to see how big she gets when she grows up - what does she weigh now? From her paws I'd say she'll be huge, but her parents did not look that big!
Her paws are huge!! The females only get up to about 26 inches but can weigh up to 70 pounds. As of last week she weighed 8 pounds at 8 weeks. She's going to the vet on Wednesday for her third set of shots. I'll let you know how heavy she is at 10 weeks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialrags View Post
She is so sweet I have always liked dobies, my grand parents had one when we were kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
She's gorgeous!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvionc View Post
Hahah omg what a cutie!! Thanks for making me smile at work lol. You have a beautiful baby there.
You're welcome! She is a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD View Post
What a cutie!. Bet she's a handful!
Oh my goodness you have no idea!!! I can't wait till she has all her shots and she can go on walks with Thor and me! That girl could play all day without sleeping if she had someone with enough energy for that!
post #12 of 28
use goo gone for ears. what type of tape are you using? her crop seems to have a lot of bell.
puppies are predicable for potty training, they have to go outside after they wake up, after eating, after a hard play, basically learn her signals and signs for faster potty training. Many dobes are potty trained fast, they are smart dogs. I also recommend to put them on a feeding schedule so times to poo pee are more consistent. and when they go outside say go potty and when they do give a special treat. they catch on quick.
do you use a crate?
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
As of last week she weighed 8 pounds at 8 weeks. She's going to the vet on Wednesday for her third set of shots. I'll let you know how heavy she is at 10 weeks!!
I hope you wrote the wrong number, she would be quite underweight if she only weighed 8 lbs. at 2 months old
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post
use goo gone for ears. what type of tape are you using? her crop seems to have a lot of bell.
puppies are predicable for potty training, they have to go outside after they wake up, after eating, after a hard play, basically learn her signals and signs for faster potty training. Many dobes are potty trained fast, they are smart dogs. I also recommend to put them on a feeding schedule so times to poo pee are more consistent. and when they go outside say go potty and when they do give a special treat. they catch on quick.
do you use a crate?
I use Kendall Curity tape. It's what the breeder used. So far she's not potty training well, other than she knows that when she goes outside she goes potty. Of course, I know they can't fully control their bladder until they are at least 12 weeks. I use treats when she goes potty and she goes almost immediately after I take her outside. Yes we do have a crate.

I've been doing almost everything you mentioned, but only because I've been reading a puppy book religiously. It's called "Puppy Primer" by Brenda Scidmore and Patricia B. McConnell. Maybe you've heard of it or the authors? I really like their training methods!
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post
I hope you wrote the wrong number, she would be quite underweight if she only weighed 8 lbs. at 2 months old
She could easily be more than that, we had a really hard time weighing her because she moved around so much. I had my hands on her so maybe she was leaning a bit We also chose the more frail, slender pup, and her father was a bit slender too.
post #16 of 28
can i ask what the purpose is of ear docking? is it just for cosmetic reasons? here in the uk we don't do that or tail docking.
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
can i ask what the purpose is of ear docking? is it just for cosmetic reasons? here in the uk we don't do that or tail docking.
Here in the US it's completely legal and is done on several breeds. But yes I would have to say it's purely for cosmetic reasons since it's no longer required for show. To be honest I wasn't willing to buy a Doberman pup that wasn't cropped and docked. I've seen Dobermans not cropped, but never not docked. I'm not sure of the reason for that. I do plan on showing her, and in my opinion, even though it's not a show standard, dobes with natural ears and tail are discriminated against because they don't look as elegant and regal.

I'm going to try not to defend my opinion other than to say that they are put under with anesthesia while the vet crops their ears. They are stitched up and within two weeks are totally healed. At least in my case. She hardly notices the tape and the only time she scratched at her ears was when she had dry scabs that I put ointment on.

I couldn't tell you how they did the tail docking or dew claw removal. I'm only familiar with the old fashioned way of doing it, just chopping everything off when they are born. It's done much differently now, and I do know that the vet was the person to dock and remove the dew claws also. That was done when she was three days old and she got stitches. Other than that, I'm clueless. My guess is that they were awake...maybe numbed??

***Disclaimer*** I don't declaw the cats because it is a proven fact that it causes extreme pain, stress, and attitude problems for cats. Cropping and docking doesn't cause an attitude change or lifelong trauma. Making their ears and tail smaller doesn't hinder their day to day living. I know a lot people don't believe in cropping and docking, but I would like my Doberman to look like a Doberman. Call me cruel but a I grew up on a farm and my grandparents ran a kennel when I was young, one of those old fashioned ones, but that's the way it was done back then. Today's practice of cropping and docking is completely humane compared to 20 years ago.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
***Disclaimer*** I don't declaw the cats because it is a proven fact that it causes extreme pain, stress, and attitude problems for cats. Cropping and docking doesn't cause an attitude change or lifelong trauma. Making their ears and tail smaller doesn't hinder their day to day living. I know a lot people don't believe in cropping and docking, but I would like my Doberman to look like a Doberman. Call me cruel but a I grew up on a farm and my grandparents ran a kennel when I was young, one of those old fashioned ones, but that's the way it was done back then. Today's practice of cropping and docking is completely humane compared to 20 years ago.
Docking and cropping can cause issues for dogs. Docking or cropping removes much of a dog's means of communication with other dogs. A dog with erect cropped ears and a docked tail may look aggressive or dominant to other dogs because the position of the ears is similar to the body language of a dog who is "on guard" or dominant, and the absence of a tail removes that mean of communication which might indicate otherwise. Ear cropping also limits the dogs' ability to communicate with the ears. These limits can result in behavior problems relating to other dogs. The tail is a big communication tool for dogs as well and is also used for balance and swimming. Tail docking can additionally cause chronic pain, problems with the stump, and sometimes neuromas, a painful regrowth of nerves, form at the docking site.

I don't want to get in an argument about cropping and docking, I just wanted to let you know that these procedures may indeed cause pain or behavior issues, as can declawing. Now, I had a declawed cat in the past (her previous owners had it done) and she had absolutely no problems but as with docking/cropping it CAN cause problems.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
I don't want to get in an argument about cropping and docking.
hey, me either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
Docking and cropping can cause issues for dogs. s.
How many cropped and docked dogs have you lived with and came in contact with on a long term basis? I have with many. My dogs are also cropped and docked and the ones before these were too and never have had any problems with communicating with other dogs. They live with multiple dogs and also frequent doggie daycare, training, and play groups without issues. Many cropped and docked dogs do the same. Cropped and docked dogs are great at agility and balance, Dobermans make wonderful agility dogs and are fast and very competitive. They are also working dogs. It doesn't cause problems with their ability to work or their agility or socialization.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
I do plan on showing her, and in my opinion, even though it's not a show standard, dobes with natural ears and tail are discriminated against because they don't look as elegant and regal.
.
It is discriminated against since the breed was created to have cropped ears and a docked tail and that is in the standard. The standard here states" ears normally cropped and carried erect." with regards to the tail "Tail docked at approximately second joint, appears to be a continuation of the spine, and is carried only slightly above the horizontal when the dog is alert".
when you are showing the judge is looking at dogs that get close to the standard. So while floppy ears isn't a DQ (disqualification), it is going to be penalized to some extent. As in the standard, the deviation from the standard must be penalized to the extent of the deviation, so there are only a handful of floppy eared dogs at this time that have won their AKC Ch.'s for that reason.
The US is not the UK. The UK has banned all cropping and docking.
Cropped ears are prone of less ear infections than drop ears, they can also hear better and they are more functional. For instance, in the wild you never see canines with long floppy ears for a reason.
post #21 of 28
Just a reminder, since you all say you do not want to get into a debate on cropping and/or docking, don't. As stated, it is not done in the UK and that was why the original question was asked, not to start a debate.

Thank you!
post #22 of 28
Awwwww!!! What a complete sweetheart I look forward to seeing more pictures of her, I can't wait to watch her grow up
post #23 of 28
One thing that makes me very skeptical about the real reasons behind docking is the amount of tail faults that came out of the woodwork with several dog breeds after docking was made illegal in the Netherlands.
post #24 of 28
thank you all for your honest and candid replies. such is life that we aren't all going to agree all of the time.

enzoleya you have a beautiful puppy there, no matter what and i wish you years of fun and happiness together.
post #25 of 28
Wow yeah her paws are humongous, she's gonna mow you right over in future She's SO adorable
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Here in the US it's completely legal and is done on several breeds. But yes I would have to say it's purely for cosmetic reasons since it's no longer required for show. To be honest I wasn't willing to buy a Doberman pup that wasn't cropped and docked. I've seen Dobermans not cropped, but never not docked. I'm not sure of the reason for that. I do plan on showing her, and in my opinion, even though it's not a show standard, dobes with natural ears and tail are discriminated against because they don't look as elegant and regal.

I'm going to try not to defend my opinion other than to say that they are put under with anesthesia while the vet crops their ears. They are stitched up and within two weeks are totally healed. At least in my case. She hardly notices the tape and the only time she scratched at her ears was when she had dry scabs that I put ointment on.

I couldn't tell you how they did the tail docking or dew claw removal. I'm only familiar with the old fashioned way of doing it, just chopping everything off when they are born. It's done much differently now, and I do know that the vet was the person to dock and remove the dew claws also. That was done when she was three days old and she got stitches. Other than that, I'm clueless. My guess is that they were awake...maybe numbed??

***Disclaimer*** I don't declaw the cats because it is a proven fact that it causes extreme pain, stress, and attitude problems for cats. Cropping and docking doesn't cause an attitude change or lifelong trauma. Making their ears and tail smaller doesn't hinder their day to day living. I know a lot people don't believe in cropping and docking, but I would like my Doberman to look like a Doberman. Call me cruel but a I grew up on a farm and my grandparents ran a kennel when I was young, one of those old fashioned ones, but that's the way it was done back then. Today's practice of cropping and docking is completely humane compared to 20 years ago.
You shouldn't have to defend your decision, and I wouldn't. There is a big difference between docking/cropping and declawing. I know when people ASK if they should declaw then people have the right to give their oppinions and concerns and try to change the posters mind about doing the procedure, but you didn't ask for advice as to whether you should and it is already done and can't be changed, so there isn't any need to try and make you feel bad about your puppy, she is absolutly beautiful and untill it is illegal here then it is your choice.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder (I would adopt one from a shelter or rescue if it was the right dog) with out having the tail cropped. I can live with floppy ears but prefer cropped.
I had a dobbie/shep x and because of the placment of the tail and being a mix I didn't have him docked (he had big errect shep ears) and he was always hitting his tail on every thing and had a few sores on his tail and when he got older had a tumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
Docking and cropping can cause issues for dogs. Docking or cropping removes much of a dog's means of communication with other dogs. A dog with erect cropped ears and a docked tail may look aggressive or dominant to other dogs because the position of the ears is similar to the body language of a dog who is "on guard" or dominant, and the absence of a tail removes that mean of communication which might indicate otherwise. Ear cropping also limits the dogs' ability to communicate with the ears. These limits can result in behavior problems relating to other dogs. The tail is a big communication tool for dogs as well and is also used for balance and swimming. Tail docking can additionally cause chronic pain, problems with the stump, and sometimes neuromas, a painful regrowth of nerves, form at the docking site.

I don't want to get in an argument about cropping and docking, I just wanted to let you know that these procedures may indeed cause pain or behavior issues, as can declawing. Now, I had a declawed cat in the past (her previous owners had it done) and she had absolutely no problems but as with docking/cropping it CAN cause problems.

Then don't try and argue, whats done is done, she can't change it even if she wanted to any way so no point trying to make some one feel guilty because they did some thing you wouldn't.
I am not sure of acual statistics, but 1 in many dogs have issues with cropping/docking while 1 in many cats don't have issues when they are declawed. There is way more harm in declawing, even if the one you had didn't.

Again enzo, your girl is absolutly stunning and I love her ears, I would crop too, infact I had a boxer and had his cropped (tail was docked when the puppies were 1-3 days old I think) I am looking at boxer rescues and mostly the ones I look at are cropped, I just prefer that look better and as long as it is legal, I would make that choice too!
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Docking and cropping can cause issues for dogs. Docking or cropping removes much of a dog's means of communication with other dogs. A dog with erect cropped ears and a docked tail may look aggressive or dominant to other dogs because the position of the ears is similar to the body language of a dog who is "on guard" or dominant, and the absence of a tail removes that mean of communication which might indicate otherwise. Ear cropping also limits the dogs' ability to communicate with the ears. These limits can result in behavior problems relating to other dogs. The tail is a big communication tool for dogs as well and is also used for balance and swimming. Tail docking can additionally cause chronic pain, problems with the stump, and sometimes neuromas, a painful regrowth of nerves, form at the docking site.

I don't want to get in an argument about cropping and docking, I just wanted to let you know that these procedures may indeed cause pain or behavior issues, as can declawing. Now, I had a declawed cat in the past (her previous owners had it done) and she had absolutely no problems but as with docking/cropping it CAN cause problems.

Your argument unfortunatley is very unfounded.

Just because the dog's ears are cropped does not mean it can't flatten them, like any other dog. They can still move their ears. Cropping just sets them upright. German Shepherds, Pharaoh Hounds, Ibizan Hounds all have erect ears and have no problem being social with other dogs.

My next argument. What about breeds born without tails? French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, Corgies, Polish Lowlands, English Bull Dog and Australian Shepherds. All of these dogs have no problems expressing body language.

Also dogs don't just use their ears or their tails to express their feelings. Body posture, facial expressions [tightening their lips etc.] are all ways they express themselves through body language.

Ear cropping is only painful to the dog during recovery.

Tail docking CAN have some ill effects, I know a dog that goes after her nubbin' once in a while and they think maybe she's had a regrowth of nerves there. But for the most part tail docking is done when the puppy is tiny so they'll have no recollection of the event and they go on to lead normal lives.
post #28 of 28
I love her big chunky feet! I thpought she was a lot bigger until the picture of her cuddled up with you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pet Pics
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Pet Pics › We took the tape off her ears (doberman puppy)