Layoffs :(

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, they laid 4 people off in my department today. I am thankfully not one of them, but I am almost certian there will be more, and now I am so nervous!!!

Anyone else experiencing the stress of possibly losing their jobs?

I am supposed to start school in the spring for my medical assisting, and then I wont be so worried.... but right now I am sweating bullets

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have had a few shut downs at the mill my husband works at. So far thank God it hasn't affected him. He is a mechanic Luckily there is lots of maintenance to do.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work for Wells Fargo Bank and I know there will be some layoffs with the Wachovia Merger. I'm not worried about my job as there are no Wachovias in my area. Which really wouldn't matter anyway since I work in a call center.
I do feel bad for the people that are in jeapordy of losing their jobs though. It really sucks.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They laid people off where I work back in November/December sometime (I cant even remember now what month). One of the girls in the lab I work in was let go one night. I try and think positive - I'm the only one in the lab that does Mercury prep, so I'm hoping that helps me out in keeping my job. My boss always gives me great reviews too, so it's not as though I'm bad at my job.

I did worry a lot though when they started the layoffs, thinking that they might just have the analyst do my job as well as his. He said he'd probably find a different job if they tried that. They spent a week laying people off (we're a company of just over 300).

Rob doesn't have to worry about any layoffs either, since he works with the guy at the transmission shop, and they're pretty busy, surprisingly. Probably because no one can really buy new cars right now so they're fixing the old ones. And he would just turn side jobs into regular jobs.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our company is in the process of being bought out by another company. The rationale behind the buy out is that the combined companies can save a tremendous amount of money on their IT costs. I'm in IT. The very strong rumor is that 75% of our department will be laid off by the end of this year. That's about 750 people. The odds are that I will be one of them. Layoffs due to offshoring have been the norm for many years, but it is still interesting to see how people react to these threats. Everyone suddenly does their best to make themselves indispensible.

Yeah, people are sweating bullets here.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being in the retail business (sort of), I wouldn't be surprised to see some cutbacks where I'm working. But what they usually do is hire up seasonals from September to December, then after the first of the year decide if they want to keep any of the seasonals. Since there are always terminations, quits, etc., on an ongoing basis, if they didn't keep any seasonals, we would be down about 10% from last year.

I'm #20 of the 22 full-time permanent drivers, so yeah, my job is in danger. But there are 6 more seasonals below that 22, so I'm not too worried...yet.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a call center for catalog dept for a retail company and yes I am worried about layoffs. I work PT all year round and I think there is something brewing. I live in a small community and the little factories are cutting back and thinking of closing. This would be so bad for my area I don't know how people are going to survive.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm an orchestral musician... Playing in many small orchestras in the area has its ups and downs, but one of the big positives is that I'm pretty much immune to being "laid off" in the traditional sense.

However, the big risk is that these organizations are all tiny non-profits who have trouble breaking even, even under the best of economic circumstances. Basically, we run on the charity of others. I'm always hearing alarming news from board liaisons and personnel managers these days, and many other musicians are making rather apocryphal comments about our collective future. Some orchestras are cutting back on the number of services (a service being a rehearsal or a performance), canceling entire concert sets, halting pay increases, and downsizing their repertoire to include fewer players. It's not truly ugly yet; most of the sensibly run orchestras already have their funding for this current season taken care of. But whether the economy picks up or not, it could very well be ugly by the start of the next season in September.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was laid-off December 2007, well I was suppose to go right before Christmas, but they kept me until Feb 08. But what helped me is that my boss, who left on his own as well. Offer me my job back with him in his new company

I know that might not work out for you or others, but maybe staying in touch with old colleagues and bosses might work in your favor. I know that does not offer much hope especially in these uncertain economic times.

Good Luck!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My company just finished a 3 part 4 month lay off and laid off around 200 people. I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be surprised if I am next. I used to work in the Business Office doing various tasks but that job became obsolete. I am a pretty hard worker, I have no department and my boss is in another country. I proved that I can work by myself and be trusted as well as I can figure things out with absolutely no direction. They now have me working in Sales and marketing which I have absolutely no experience in. Every week I expect to be fired. Its so depressing though, I work in a huge building and it used to be so loud and busy, people everywhere. We have the entire 8th floor of a building and only 3 of us work in the NB office now. Everyday I feel like I am alone.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my partner had got made redundant, luckily he walked into a job the very next day so wasnt to bad
but its getting scarey because the motor trade is quite quiet so theres s few layoffs going on in our company

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the mill my husband work at he was told last month to cut one of his staff to pt. Other mgrs were told the same but instead the accounting, customer service and other admins are getting cut to 4 days/week for 6 weeks. It will be re-evaluated at that time.
He isn't affected.

I picked up a small pt job in Sept as being self employed in an occupation that is more a luxury (landscaping) I really don't know how well I will do this year. I will have some of my same clients and with this pt job the ability for me to find more. I'm sure I will have lots more competition this year as the large landscaping firms will be looking for business as well.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowqueensdaddy

I'm an orchestral musician... Playing in many small orchestras in the area has its ups and downs, but one of the big positives is that I'm pretty much immune to being "laid off" in the traditional sense.

However, the big risk is that these organizations are all tiny non-profits who have trouble breaking even, even under the best of economic circumstances. Basically, we run on the charity of others. I'm always hearing alarming news from board liaisons and personnel managers these days, and many other musicians are making rather apocryphal comments about our collective future. Some orchestras are cutting back on the number of services (a service being a rehearsal or a performance), canceling entire concert sets, halting pay increases, and downsizing their repertoire to include fewer players. It's not truly ugly yet; most of the sensibly run orchestras already have their funding for this current season taken care of. But whether the economy picks up or not, it could very well be ugly by the start of the next season in September.
I am a symphony musician as well. We've been hearing all sorts of rumblings all year, but nothing concrete yet.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been laid off twice over my working life; the most recent was 6 years ago from a great paying job at GE. I'm just barely making half of what I was earning and if it weren't for my sister and SO, I'd be in dire straights.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, being self-employed, I don't guess I can be laid off like I could be if I were working for someone else, but business here has been slow enough that I am now working part time at another job and part time with hub in the catering bit.....will be full time hopefully later in the spring......and I keep telling hub that I hope HE gets busy enough that we have to hire someone part time to take my place!