You've GOT to be kidding me!!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I went to pick my son up from school and then went to grab my husband something to eat from Jimmy Johns. On the way was a PetLand (I know, I know) and I wanted to see what brands of cat food they carry. I stopped in and they ONLY had Science Diet. I didn't think they would have any kittens b/c they generally don't carry them during the winter, but I checked anyway b/c I always feel sorry for their animals.

They had a litter of 4 kittens, one long hair calico, one short hair calico with tabby patches, and two grey tabbies. I thought they were really cute, so I was just curious as to how much they cost. I asked and they guy went to find out. When he got back the first thing he asked was if I knew of everything that comes with the kitten when you buy one. I told him yes b/c I didn't want to listen to him, so then he tells me that their kittens are $297!!!!!!! For domestic short and long haired cats!! I could understand if they were purebreds, but they weren't. I about choked!!

Then he went on to tell me that I could buy a kitten now, but they wouldn't let them go home until they were 2lbs. He didn't say how OLD they were, but just that none of them were 2lbs yet so they couldn't leave. I didn't understand that policy...they obviously thought they were "big" enough to take away from their mother, but still small enough that they needed to stay in a tiny cold cage, not go home to a warm loving home???? What would be the purpose for that kind of a policy??? The poor things looked completely miserable, none of them were bouncy or acting like true kittens, they just looked sluggish and lethargic...and just plain sad. If only I were rich and didn't have a husband that hated pets.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a bit too much to charge. Our pet shops charage about NZ$80 for kittens, not sure how much that is in US.

What a shame your hubby hates pets but at least he's let you have some

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my Sweet toy Pom Sophie in October. The breeder I bought Sophie from has moved. We saw some cute mini dashhounds X's . They wanted $1085 I only paid $350 for my purebred Toy Pom. When I was there. they sold another small breed dog $1350. I ended up buying a multese X Poodle off a friend of a friend for $250.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am willing to pay good money for a high-quality, well-bred, well-cared for pedigreed pet and probably will at some point (I would like a full-blooded Raggie, just once... someday).

However! Pet stores don't fill any of those requirements.

I would rather rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong, I would have no problem paying good money for purebred cats or dogs, but basically a "mutt" cat?? No. Not that I don't think they were adorable and wouldn't make great pets, I would have loved to bring them all home. PetLand is just WAY too proud of the animals they sell. People pay it though, which makes it worse.

I payed $500 for our purebred Golden Retriever and $200 for our Australian Shep/Border Collie mix. I would LOVE to have a ragdoll also!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I am willing to pay good money for a high-quality, well-bred, well-cared for pedigreed pet and probably will at some point (I would like a full-blooded Raggie, just once... someday).

However! Pet stores don't fill any of those requirements.

I would rather rescue.
We were going to get a dog from the shelter, but our vet advised us there was an outbreak of parvo in the city. there is no shelter here. Having already got a dog several years ago, from the same shelter that came down with parvo two days later. I was not going to take a chance.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local pet store gets the cats from the humane soc. shelter. That is a nice idea. They allways have a few adoptable cats of all ages. The cats are not for sale, but for adoption. That is good business. Cats get homes and they get food/toy sales. The price for the cat is 75$. and that includes spay/nuter and vcaccinations. That seems like a good idea to me.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

My local pet store gets the cats from the humane soc. shelter. That is a nice idea. They allways have a few adoptable cats of all ages. The cats are not for sale, but for adoption. That is good business. Cats get homes and they get food/toy sales. The price for the cat is 75$. and that includes spay/nuter and vcaccinations. That seems like a good idea to me.
This is what we do as a rescue. We have spaces in two pet stores in two widely different parts of the metro Detroit area. Funny - but we do better with cat adoptions, including black cats - in the less "upscale" neighborhood. Hmmm.

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the two pound thing, most vets use that as there cutoff for weight to do a fix. Its a catch 22 let them out late and social problems, let them out to early and you end up with more cats at the adoption center.

250$ is pretty reasonable in my area when you factor shots and fix into the mix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora's shots when we got her and her fix on Monday will total $110.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Bit Off Topic, but what do people usually think about cats sold in petstores? Do they sell well or do people prefer getting their cats from somewhere else? Are they normally old enough or do the stores take "shortcuts" in caring for them?
Just wondering because here they don't sell cats (or dogs) in petstores (it's illegal, considered to be animal cruelty etc.).