Cupboard perches..?

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, a couple of my kitties like to scale the counter top, hop up on to the refrigerator, and finally, to the top of the cupboards, close to the ceiling. Sasha even sleeps there on occasion.

I was thinking of creating catwalks (teehee) between all of the cupboards, so basically they have a continuous square "halo" to walk around on, probably consisting of a ladder of some sort to scale down the other side, so there's more than one entrance/exit. I'm in an apartment, so it's probably easy to visualize the kitchen - enclosed on 3 sides, so basically there's sets of cupboards facing one another, and one bare wall. There'd be one long catwalk on the bare wall (at one cupboard end), and one parallel to it at the other end, at the entrance to the kitchen.

Anyhow, the cupboards are probably 12" - 14" wide, whatever the standard size is. My dilemma is one born out of fear - my kitties are front-declawed, and even if I carpet the entire area up there, I fear someone falling, either by accident, or by way of a catfight erupting up there.

The whole thing could be done cheaply, and I know they'd enjoy it, but is the risk real enough to disregard the project? Perhaps add a "guardrail"? Am I a worry-wart? I saw someone's house on the internet once that had holes in the walls and elevated catwalks all through the house, but I didn't know if the cats had their claws.

Thanks for any advice.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

The whole thing could be done cheaply, and I know they'd enjoy it, but is the risk real enough to disregard the project? Perhaps add a "guardrail"? Am I a worry-wart? I saw someone's house on the internet once that had holes in the walls and elevated catwalks all through the house, but I didn't know if the cats had their claws.

Thanks for any advice.
I've seen this house and a few more like it and always wondered about the safety, even with claws. I have a 1-year-old aby who has her claws and she still "falls" (or more like clings until she can find a way to get herself down) from her cat tree because she's such a maniac when she plays. Or she'll run too fast and over estimate a jump or something. It worries me to think about her doing something like that 10 feet off the ground. I've always wanted to ask people with these kind of catwalks if they've ever had any problems. Maybe cats are more cautious when they're that high off the ground???

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

I've seen this house and a few more like it and always wondered about the safety, even with claws. I have a 1-year-old aby who has her claws and she still "falls" (or more like clings until she can find a way to get herself down) from her cat tree because she's such a maniac when she plays. Or she'll run too fast and over estimate a jump or something. It worries me to think about her doing something like that 10 feet off the ground.
That's my Coco to a T! She's reckless and clumsy. Not a good combination!

I also worry about someone getting knocked off a high perch during a wrestling match. Odds are probably agaisnt it but I don't know if I want to risk it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For reference, I sketched in red where the new perches would go. The nearest one would be completely suspended in space (open on both sides) and would be the most dangerous.

The scribbling to the far left would be a ladder to get up and down from that side (the counter top and fridge do the trick for the other side). It would continue to the floor.

Looking at it like this, I don't think there's any way I could have the nearest-most perch that's totally suspended, without having a nervous breakdown every time I saw a kitty on it. The other ones, since they're "captured" by a wall on one side, well...I don't know.

Thoughts?

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too think that the back bridge would be sufficient and I would be hesitant to put a walk over the stove top. Accidents happen.

As for as the back wall. It would be easy to make. Get a sturdy constuction plank, cut to lenght, paint it and just lay it across. no nails needed.

Good luck.