Have to write another speech, class this time

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well today was my first day of classes. Went pretty well but a lot of work in each one. The big one is a lot of speeches I have to write and give orally in class. There is a big one that I have to start almost immediately. We have to give a 5-7 minute presentation. Lucky for me this time within reason we get to pick our own topics. So this time I plan to write about the pros and cons of spaying and neutering pets. So any ideas ya'll might think of that would go good in that let me know. Also I have to make a presentation on that as well which I can't bring the cats in, so, I decided print outs would work better. what do ya'll think?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good topic, because you can educate people on the consequences of not speutering, talk about the pros and cons of mandatory speutering, the difference between spaying/neutering and sterilization, etc..

When my students do oral presentations, they generally make up big posters with pictures and key words, and then have print-outs with a summary of the main points of the presentation to hand out afterwards. One important thing to do is to engage your audience by asking them questions, e.g., "How long do you think it takes to castrate a male dog/tom cat? How many kittens can result from the coupling of one pair of intact cats in a decade?" Try to get people to guess, and then supply the answers.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My question is, does it have to be a "pro and con" speech where you have to show both sides? If so, what "cons" are you going to say for neutering?

If you don't have to show both sides, great choice! I'm sure you can get a flow chart somewhere on the internet that shows how many cats are born from one unfixed cat in 5 years (or however many years), I can't remember exactly, but it's an ungodly amount. Get statistics about how many have to be put to sleep from online, and also get statistics from you local animal shelter if you can (to bring it home). Contact your vet and get detailed info about what health problems cats and dogs have if they don't get neutered. Get as many statistics as you can.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Well today was my first day of classes. Went pretty well but a lot of work in each one. The big one is a lot of speeches I have to write and give orally in class. There is a big one that I have to start almost immediately. We have to give a 5-7 minute presentation. Lucky for me this time within reason we get to pick our own topics. So this time I plan to write about the pros and cons of spaying and neutering pets. So any ideas ya'll might think of that would go good in that let me know. Also I have to make a presentation on that as well which I can't bring the cats in, so, I decided print outs would work better. what do ya'll think?
Are you taking public speaking? I had to take that class years ago. And you know what- it wound up I didn't even NEED the class for my program. Granted, the teacher who taught it was nice, and it was an easy A.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its basically a business english class. So being able to put together and make a good speech is important.

Calico, the reason I am choosing to do a pro and con on the speech is because I believe to help people make an educated decision they need to see both sides of the issue. Plus I would like it to be a more unbias speech. I have been on both sides of this where I did not really see the need in altering and now believing in its importance. What helped me was really seeing the pros and cons on the issue. I saw with data that the pros out weighed the cons. But I will be honest I can not think of a whole lot of cons. Internet should help with that.

Jcat what type of images should I use? The teacher does not want us to show things that might offend so I assume showing a picture of the surgery is out. But maybe some images of animals in the shelter?