Question Of The Day - Wednesday, January 7th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

Here's todays Question Of The Day!

When you make a major purchase, do you buy on impusle, go by gut instinct, or thoroughly research the product and it's competitors?

I have to admit that I tend to be the kind of buyer who researches things to death before I go out and spend the money! I have had a subscription to Consumer's Report for years. I also check out trade magazines and talk to sales people about repairs, warranties, etc. I want to know that I'm getting my money's worth.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally do a bit of research, but sometimes impulse can be involved as well. When I purchased my new laptop I had been researching several brands which is good right...checking things like memory, guarantees and such.

However, when I bought it I choose it because it came in red.

Not exactly a product Savoy reason..

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I'm somewhat impulsive but I do check around a bit for prices and try to read some of the online reviews if its something big.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I shop around...I don't look at consumer reports but I do price compare and read reviews of the products at sites like Amazon and such...or i ask the sales people. Except my car....that was LOVE at first sight...
I was ready to sign the papers before I even got to test drive it....
I know not a smart thing....but it was my dream car...the car I had been wanting since i was in high school...and I don't regret buying it one bit.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop around. When we had to replace our tv and buy a stand several months ago it took us 6 hours. We went to every store in town (we went to one store 3x) before we made a decision. And strangely enough, it was harder to pick out a stand than the tv itself!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on what it is. For the most part I do some research and comparison. I try to get the most for the money, but sometimes I just go with what I want and forget all about logic and common sense

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do some research as well. I take into account reviews from Amazon and epinions.com and advise given on this site too.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely the researcher! Sometimes to the point of making myself a bit crazy!!! The more important the item, ie: appliance, car, the more I try to learn about it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I bought my van I researched everything. when I bought my appliances. I bought kenmore because that's what I had before. When I bought my computor. I was walking through the store, Dh said that is a good deal. Do you want it.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I generally do a bit of research,
I have to say the majority of times I get this....
I hate to myself about this but I´m so scroupulus about this item...

When I made something impulsive sometimes I really regret about it and all day I´m "cheewing" that...
...Why?..I don´t know, maybe is my nature....

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a bit of both. I've definitely gone the impulsive route, but most times I do research, or ask the advice of others.

I have a washing machine repairman due any minute, so let's all keep our fingers crossed that he is successful so I don't have to do any more research on washing machines!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Good morning!

Here's todays Question Of The Day!

When you make a major purchase, do you buy on impusle, go by gut instinct, or thoroughly research the product and it's competitors?
I've been guilty of impulse buys but for the most part its impulse and research.

For example: my camera. Impulse made me want to get a new one, but I researched the ones I was interested in to find one that would suit my needs and not one with a zillion features that I would never use.

My impulse buys are usually less than $100. If I'm looking for a major appliance, we price shop to find the best price and quality for said price.

That said though, my truck was sort of an impulse buy. We had been talking about a new vehicle for awhile, my husband was going to surprise me by buying me one for our wedding and have it show up on our wedding day. (June 23/07) But, a dealership had a really good deal going on prior to that, and we went and got it before the deal expired. So it was still my wedding present... yah, some girls like jewlerry, I like trucks

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I'm a bit of both. I've definitely gone the impulsive route, but most times I do research, or ask the advice of others.
That's me, too.

Originally Posted by clixpix

I have a washing machine repairman due any minute, so let's all keep our fingers crossed that he is successful so I don't have to do any more research on washing machines!
Sending lots of for your ailing machine.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I have had a subscription to Consumer's Report for years. I also check out trade magazines and talk to sales people about repairs, warranties, etc. I want to know that I'm getting my money's worth.
Likewise here. Consumer Reports guides my every move on major purchases.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I WISH I could do research. DH is in charge of the "electronics and anything that plugs in" stuff. I don't really have to do research on drapes.
. It's pretty much I like them or I don't.

For example, I got a new computer for Christmas. God love him, it's great....but my old computer was fine for me. I only check my email, check TCS and check YouTube sometimes. All I needed was a new Norton update, not a new computer. So, now I have a computer with NO favorites, nothing saved...*sigh*.

He also decided to get me a new cell phone because mine was doing a weird beep in the middle of a call. I FINALLY realized it's because I was running out of minutes (yeah, I'm VERY challenged when it comes to technology), but he already bought me a new one. It is a trac phone, so it wasn't that much, but now I have to learn a new phone all over again.

Now, I got him 2 pairs of jeans, pj pants, a thing you can put on your key ring to find your keys, and a jacket that I bought on sale. Oh, and a portrait of our pug that I'm hoping will arrive soon. Ok, I have a LOT of making up to do.

Sorry.....rant done. I thought we had a $200 limit, but he went WAY above that, so I owe him BIG on Valentine's Day.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what I'm buying. Small purchases I buy impulsively. Like I bought a new printer/scanner/copier a week or two ago b/c my old one died, and I just walked into the store and grabbed the one that was in my price range that was the brand I liked.

My husband just bought a new car after his crash on Dec 16th, and it had taken him from Dec 16th until Jan 5th to find a buy the car he wanted. I agree with him on that though. He looked around (literally looked at every car lot in our area and scanned the internet for vehicles), got a bunch looked at by his mechanic friends, looked them all up on Carfax, etc etc. He finally found one and took it home that night, and I don't think he could have made a better choice.

When we first decided to build a new house it was Father's Day weekend, 4 years ago I think. It took us a while to find the perfect lot, the perfect floor plan, and everything to go with it. We put a LOT of thought into everything.

I'm much MUCH more of an impulse buyer than hubby is, though. Sometimes I think he over thinks things too much.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I WISH I could do research. DH is in charge of the "electronics and anything that plugs in" stuff. I don't really have to do research on drapes.
. It's pretty much I like them or I don't.

For example, I got a new computer for Christmas. God love him, it's great....but my old computer was fine for me. I only check my email, check TCS and check YouTube sometimes. All I needed was a new Norton update, not a new computer. So, now I have a computer with NO favorites, nothing saved...*sigh*.

He also decided to get me a new cell phone because mine was doing a weird beep in the middle of a call. I FINALLY realized it's because I was running out of minutes (yeah, I'm VERY challenged when it comes to technology), but he already bought me a new one. It is a trac phone, so it wasn't that much, but now I have to learn a new phone all over again.

Now, I got him 2 pairs of jeans, pj pants, a thing you can put on your key ring to find your keys, and a jacket that I bought on sale. Oh, and a portrait of our pug that I'm hoping will arrive soon. Ok, I have a LOT of making up to do.

Sorry.....rant done. I thought we had a $200 limit, but he went WAY above that, so I owe him BIG on Valentine's Day.
It seems interesting what you say my friend....
I mean, in our case all descisions about electronics for home or personals try to RESEARCH very deep boths by each our side and next we get a "conclusion" looking for the advantages and disavantages....
in short all descicions are 50% and 50% in home....

IMO was great you express you opinion my friend!..