Ear cleaning advice!

grammyjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm extremely familiar with the ear mite medicines & procedures....been there, done that. My indoor 2 and a half year old neutered boy let me know something was bothering one of his ears. I stuck my pinkie finger in his ear to pacify him and came out with sticky wax stuff. I used Q-Tips on both ears and got a load of wax (no mites, nothing colored). I want to keep his ears clean & wax-free! He's obsessed with Q-Tips and I've had to hide them. Any suggestions?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend using Q-tips to clean his ears any more than I would recommend using them to clean children's ears. If the cat should move it's head suddenly the Q-tip could do permanent damage. I know it's easy to say yes, but that wouldn't happen to me - not so.

I personally would talk to my vet and ask what they recommend. It's very possible they will recommend something you can buy OTC.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kizzy get's dirty ears as well. (has been checked for mites, none found)

I just cleaned them with a damp paper towel. (just water)

I wouldn't use q-tips because of the risk of accidently pushing it too far and doing some damage.

But that is JMO.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Kizzy get's dirty ears as well. (has been checked for mites, none found)

I just cleaned them with a damp paper towel. (just water)

I wouldn't use q-tips because of the risk of accidently pushing it too far and doing some damage.

But that is JMO.
I think you'll find most of us agree with your opinion. Q-tips are not safe to use on children and animals because accidents can happen in an instant.