I hurt my baby!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel sooo awful! I hurt my Lucky girl.... I got today the colloidal silver I am going to use on her ringworm, and was cutting the hair around the lesion... well... I took a little skin in the process... Poor thing... she cried loud, then was really quiet (I guess she realized the less she moved, the lower the risk
Poor baby... I put a little bit of neosporin +Pain, and she looks happy now... sleeping next to me BRAVE GIRL!

I love her so much... I felt so bad hurting her..... Besides the neosporin +pain (per vet), is there anything else I should do? It's really little - just a bit of skin - about 1/4" i would say...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i think it'll just have to heal on its own - probably won't take that long.
i'm surprised the vet prescribed the pain-relieving neosporin - i thought it contained some sort of NSAID?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as its stopped bleeding, Lucky is fine.

This would be why I got the vet to shave Kizzy with the clippers instead of me trying to cut his fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

As long as its stopped bleeding, Lucky is fine.

This would be why I got the vet to shave Kizzy with the clippers instead of me trying to cut his fur.
No, it didn't bleed.... you know when you get just the very top layer of the skin.... ouch it's the one it hurts the most.... Anyways - Neosporin +Pain does not contain NSAID; it is only an antibiotic ointment, with an agent for pain. I used it once, she is fine, no bleeding, no infection, no inflammation.... She is a happy and stained (from the colloidal silver) kitty - she is an yellow mess

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neosporin +Pain is NOT recommended to use on cats. It does have an ingredient that is harmful to a cat. Im sorry I cannot tell you what that ingredient is at the moment, but I have had 3 vets tell me do not use the +Pain formula of Neosporin, only use the regular.

Not all things that harm our animals are noticeable immediately.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

She is a happy and stained (from the colloidal silver) kitty - she is an yellow mess

LOL...email me pics.

One would think, colloidal silver would be silver. hmmmmm. Shows how much I know

Glad she's ok....I know you musta felt horrible tho.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

LOL...email me pics.

One would think, colloidal silver would be silver. hmmmmm. Shows how much I know

Glad she's ok....I know you musta felt horrible tho.
Poor thing.... she is a royal mess!
EVERYBODY: SHE IS FINE - the neosporin was just a tiny bit, once, and that's it. She is a happy kitty now. Yellow, but nonetheless happy. Thank you for your concern though.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, it was completely my fault.... she was totally quiet - not moving at all... The mistake I made was to pull the hair to cut it, and her skin was the same color as the hair.... poor baby... she is fine now - I was actually able to do the rest and to re-do the tail... She is my angel....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On your advice Pami, can you please be accurate on the ingredient that is harmful for cats, so whoever is reading this post will know not to use it, in this product or similar as well? Appreciate it.
here are the ingredients: Neomycin 3.5mg, polymyxin B 10,000 units,
pramoxine HCL 10mg

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All information given in these threads is from other members who are not vets and are not qualified to give medical advice. Yes you are allowed to share your experiences but all medical concerns that any poster has should be addressed with and treated by a qualified vet. Take the information you get here and discuss it with your vet.

ETA: Below is a thread by TCS owner Anne that explains our position on medical advice given out. Please review.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hesster

You do know that colloidal silver has no proven medical benefits, right?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...silver/AN01682
No - not right.
There are many many substances that the FDA has not studied, but it doesn't mean they are not effective. In fact, most supplements fit the same category.
Also: I am not giving her colloidal silver orally - so the link above doesn't apply.
Last but not least, as a chemist I know quite well the properties of colloidal silver as a disinfectant - no fungus, virus, or bacteria survives the contact with colloidal silver for a determined amount of time. That is why many water filters are layered with silver, or contain silver in the filter agent itself. I am using it topically, so the disinfecting, and on this specific case anti-fungal properties of silver do apply.
So..... nope I do not agree with your statement... Thanks though :-)

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To the OP: I did the EXACT SAME THING over the summer, I was trying to cut a mat out of David's fur, and with one hand pulled a bit on the mat, and the other I cut..well, I CUT OUT A SMALL CIRCLE OF FLESH
.. He was not bleeding at all either, so I called the Emergency Clinic, they told me, don't put anything on it, just keep an eye on it. So after a few days, the hair grew over it, and I keep checking it daily, it did not look bad or smell bad. BUT..after like a week and a half or two (I did notice it felt crusty/scabby under the fur, but I thought it was normal healing), I came home and his side was covered in blood and puss!! Apparently, it abcessed! I took him immediately to the Emergency clinic, and they stitched him (staples) up
They asked me, "what the heck happened?" and I told them, and asked them if there was anything I could have done differently. They told me I should have had him checked like a few days or a week after the "cutting" by my vet, just to see if it was healing properly (obviously, it hadn't). So maybe in a few days or so, you might want to have him checked out, poor David had to have staples, an E-Collar, and antiobiotics for about a week because it abcessed..It was a nightmare for all of us!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! That is awful!
Lucky is fine... I think the fact that I kept treating the spot with colloidal silver helped a lot! There is a little scab, but completely dry, no swelling at all - thank goodness! Thank you for the heads up... Whew!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most important thing is to keep the wound open so it can heal from the inside out. Cats will heal quickly on the outside which holds the bacteria inside to fester and become abscessed. When Bijou had his abscess drained, they put a tube in for a week so the wound would heal from the inside out. I don't believe the treatment is as important as keeping the wound open and cleaned.