Please Bear With Me: More Firefox Questions

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just installed it, and am using it now.
I do have some questions (y'all knew it was coming!
). I know it's gonna take me awhile to figure everything out, so PLEASE bear with me!

What are "thumbstrips" and "fast dial"? I tried installing some of their features (those two being some of them) and I'm getting that "publisher unknown" warning again.
Also, I added some of my frequently visited websites to the bookmark thingy (I DO like that feature!) but when I tried adding Photobucket, it told me I had to install "plug-ins". What is that?

Another thing is that when I tried to log into Yahoo to check my emails, it didn't recognize who I was (I have that security logo thing installed for safety purposes). Am I gonna have to reset anything, or do I just need to upload a new pic in order for it to function properly again?

It's different than IE and looks "weird" to me, but I suppose it'll just take some getting used to.

I hope y'all have a little patience with me while I undergo this transition.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
plug-ins are things like Flash, Adobe Player, etc. you'll need to install them for certain websites to operate correctly.
about the thumbstrips thing or the flash dial. i use DSL at home and a LAN at work.
for Yahoo! you just need to upload a new pic.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
plugins are things that you probably had to install on IE too or at least update.

Personally, I don't like thumbstrips, it wastes space on my page. I do use speed dial for bookmarks which has thumbnails but opens in a whole new page rather than a strip across my browser in regular pages.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using FF regularly and I have no idea what those two features are.
The thing about FF is that there are so many different plug-ins and ways you can customize it that any two FF users probably have completely different setups and haven't a clue what the other person's features do.

FF needs its own plug-ins for common features like Flash, so when it asks you to load the plug-in, when you answer "yes" it does it automatically. All you have to do is click the button. But KNOW what it is you're loading; don't load anything you don't know is safe. You can always come here and ask and go back to that site later to get the plug-in installed.

The problem with Yahoo's auto log-in probably stems from FF maintaining its own cookie catalog. So on sites that use cookies to track that, you'll find you have to do that all over again for FF.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

plug-ins are things like Flash, Adobe Player, etc. you'll need to install them for certain websites to operate correctly.

I don't understand why I would have to reinstall it for Firefox, if it's already there.
It's working just fine via IE (for Photobucket, that is).

about the thumbstrips thing or the flash dial. i use DSL at home and a LAN at work.
for Yahoo! you just need to upload a new pic.
I did end up having to create another sign-in seal in order for Yahoo to open up through Firefox.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

plugins are things that you probably had to install on IE too or at least update.

Personally, I don't like thumbstrips, it wastes space on my page. I do use speed dial for bookmarks which has thumbnails but opens in a whole new page rather than a strip across my browser in regular pages.
Are thumbstrips the same thing as toolbars?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I've been using FF regularly and I have no idea what those two features are.
The thing about FF is that there are so many different plug-ins and ways you can customize it that any two FF users probably have completely different setups and haven't a clue what the other person's features do.
I'm beginning to realize that, just from the few times I've attempted to use it!

FF needs its own plug-ins for common features like Flash, so when it asks you to load the plug-in, when you answer "yes" it does it automatically. All you have to do is click the button. But KNOW what it is you're loading; don't load anything you don't know is safe. You can always come here and ask and go back to that site later to get the plug-in installed.
I haven't downloaded much of anything through Firefox, b/c just about everytime I do, I get that "publisher's address unknown" warning, so I end up cancelling it. Y'all know how paranoid I am by now!

The problem with Yahoo's auto log-in probably stems from FF maintaining its own cookie catalog. So on sites that use cookies to track that, you'll find you have to do that all over again for FF.
Gottcha! Thanks!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Are thumbstrips the same thing as toolbars?
Nope

Here is an example of what thumbstrips looks like

The grey area at the bottom with the white boxes are screenshots of the pages you bookmark. For me it takes up viewing space and why scroll more than I have to?

I use speed dial that I have an icon I can click on to bring up a menu to choose from just like the regular favourites/bookmarks menu but by set or I open a new tab and can click on the screenshots

Each of those numbers is one of our favourites and you can have tabs, so I have one with my top 9 work sites, another with my top 9 shelter sites, forums etc

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Nope

Here is an example of what thumbstrips looks like

The grey area at the bottom with the white boxes are screenshots of the pages you bookmark. For me it takes up viewing space and why scroll more than I have to?

I use speed dial that I have an icon I can click on to bring up a menu to choose from just like the regular favourites/bookmarks menu but by set or I open a new tab and can click on the screenshots

Each of those numbers is one of our favourites and you can have tabs, so I have one with my top 9 work sites, another with my top 9 shelter sites, forums etc
I didn't notice any of that when I was using Firefox. I guess I need to set it up that way.

I think I recall trying to set up that speed-dial thing, but it was one of those options in which I got that publisher unknown warning...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, so that's what thumbstrips are. Chrome has those, too, and I haven't used them much, mostly because they seem pretty useless.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I didn't notice any of that when I was using Firefox. I guess I need to set it up that way.

I think I recall trying to set up that speed-dial thing, but it was one of those options in which I got that publisher unknown warning...
You'll get the "publisher unknown" warning with most of the Firefox add-ons. If you're downloading them from the Mozilla site, you can just ignore that.