Nora gets spayed on Monday...

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora gets spayed on Monday! YAY! Finally! I thought the day would never come. I've never spayed a female animal before, we've only ever had male animals. Is there anything I need to know or do? They told me no food or water after 10pm and she goes in at 8am and stays overnight. I'm nervous and afraid she will hate us forever.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not let her jump or anything after.
I was told Cleo was trying to play the same night.
She came home the same day.
All my cats did except Yoshi because he was fixed late in the afternoon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All animals I've ever had have stayed overnight after a spay/neuter. They told me Nora will. I'll have to take away or put a lid on her high side litter box b/c she has to jump into it. She still has a regular litter box to use.

Any other suggestions?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put her in a room by herself at first?
Do not let her be hyper.
I thing the reason most of my cats did not stay overnight was because no one was there to watch them.
How old is she now?
Try to keep her quiet for the first few days.
Feed her a little bit at a time after she comes back.
Sometimes they will throw up.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Can you put her in a room by herself at first?
Do not let her be hyper.
I thing the reason most of my cats did not stay overnight was because no one was there to watch them.
How old is she now?
Try to keep her quiet for the first few days.
Feed her a little bit at a time after she comes back.
Sometimes they will throw up.
She just turned 8 months on the 5th. I can put her in the laundry room which is where her litter box is, but she sleeps in front of the fireplace and there really isn't anywhere comfy for her to sleep in there. She freaks if she is locked up anywhere so I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not.

The place I'm taking her to specializes in spay/neuter, it is actually called the "Animal Spay and Neuter Clinic" so I think they have someone there overnight to watch the animals.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will her personality change at all? I love her the way she is and don't want her to change.

Oh yeah, and since she will be staying the night, does anyone know if they will feed her anything any time before I pick her up? If so, I'd like to take a can of her normal food so they don't try to give her crap.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I got Belle and Delilah spayed, they stayed overnight. I don't think they ate anything. Apparently they are droggy the day of, and then I picked them up before 8am the next morning. I doubt they would have ate anything at the vets since they would have been stressed out. Might be worth taking a small amount of food with you and asking when you drop her off anyway!

I let them have free roam of the apartment when they got home (I was home with them). The first day I brought them home, they just rested and stuck to my like glue. They were pretty much back to normal the next day. I just kept a close eye on their wounds, which were much smaller than some I have seen here on TCS. I would suggest just keeping a close eye on her for the first few days. I let them climb up their cat tree so they could see out the window, etc, but I broke up "fights" when they started playing. Both healed fine.

It won't change her personality. If anything, I think mine have become bigger sucks since they had it done. They still get their spurts of kitten spunk, although I think something to do with hormones means that she may calm down a bit. In any case, the change in personality is NOTHING compared to what it is like when they go into heat. My poor, quiet little Delilah was just crying and crying when she went into heat (at 4 1/2 months)...and just moped around...I felt so bad for her....I drove right up to the vets to schedule their spay, so we didn't have to go through it again!

for Nora. I know I was a worry wart when the girls were in, but everything turned out just fine! Just give her some extra love before and after!

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have three females all speyed and their personalities have not changed they are all lovely, I am sure Nora will be fine

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats never changed.
People told me Cleo would not be hyper because she was fixed.
She is just as hyper as my other cats were as kittens.
Your cat will not change.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
None of my cats had to stay overnight. They were done in the morning and I picked them up at 4:30 PM. The three adult cats were still pretty sleepy and didn't eat much the first night. The three kittens were fixed at 4 months. They bounced out of the carrier and acted like they didn't even know anything had happened to them.

If she's normally an active kitten it may not be possible to keep her quiet. I could barely even catch mine to give them cuddles. They sure wouldn't have held still for more than about 2 minutes even if I tied them down.
They all healed up without any problems.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Will her personality change at all? I love her the way she is and don't want her to change.
If anything she may become more friendly since she won't have nature driving her to breed. It will also help keep her more kittenish.

Opt for the pre-anesthesia blood test, since it's a spay she will get pain meds, and when she comes home keep an eye on the incision. There's always a chance that it can become infected - through no fault of the vet's, it's usually from the cat licking at it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora, be good, be safe, be brave! Then come home to your mommy - she will be waiting for you with lots of cuddles!