Which Precious Metal Is Your Fav?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All this talk of gemstones & jewelry got me to thinking about precious metals, and which one I like best. My personal favorite is rose gold.
Followed by yellow gold, then white gold, platinum, & silver.

Which precious metal is your fav?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
My number 1 is sterling silver. But anything with that grey or silver colour is cool with me. For some reason i don't like wearing gold. I think it skipped a generation. My grandmother LOVES silver and mum loves gold

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love white gold and platinum best and rose gold is very pretty but I currently do not own any

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Titanium, actually. White gold is next... but it has to be fairly pure to not make me itchy...

The other good hypoallergenic silver-tone metals tend towards too darn expensive!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i prefer the white metals... so i voted for all of those. i'm not picky as to which one - altho the only ones i own are silver & platinum-iridium.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a tie between white gold and yellow gold, it depends on if I'm wearing warm colors (yellow gold) or cool colors (white gold)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I voted yellow and rose gold. I like platinum and white gold, and can't wear any other metals except titanium.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend towards the white metals, partly because silver is cheaper and you can get a nice look with it. But the richness of say.... 18kt yellow gold is undeniable. I have both white and yellow metals in my meager collection.. and a tiny bit of pink gold, too. I like it, but only with certain gemstones, like amethyst and rhodolite garnet.

ETA: I cannot wear the base metals at all. Terribly allergic. Itch like crazy. And it hurts. It's nickel and who knows what else. I learned my lesson and finally got titanium and plastic eye glass frames.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about five years old, my father gave me a silver charm bracelet with enameled shields of German cities on it (we were stationed in Germany then), and also a little silver heart-shaped locket with a pink rose enameled on the front. From that day on, I always loved silver!

Have you ever seen Hill Tribe silver? It's made in rural Thailand by whole villages of people sitting on the ground in front of their huts, working with almost-pure silver... so it has a rustic look and a white-silver color, much warmer than sterling. I love it! Here's a good example...

http://www.somerset-silver.com/New%2...ov_1_page5.htm

The really neat thing about Hill Tribe silver is that it began as a way for rural Thais to make money without growing opium poppies... what a creative way to fight drugs!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me it depends on the piece of jewelry. But budget wise, most of mine is sterling or gold-filled.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love platinum.
I don't have any, though, so I wear silver or white gold.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

When I was about five years old, my father gave me a silver charm bracelet with enameled shields of German cities on it (we were stationed in Germany then)...
I have one of these, too! It's very old, from my grandmother, I think it is from around 1900 or earlier... must be a popular type of jewelry in Germany!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White gold and platinum top my list.

I'm not a huge fan of colored gold. Though my kitty necklace made of white gold with a yellow gold tail looks beautiful.
Colored gold as an accent is nice, IMO, but not for a whole piece.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For wearing...I like silver or white gold. For rings I like Platinum since I like the silver color and I am very rough on rings.

I'm not a huge fan of yellow gold but will wear it if the piece is beautiful.

FOR my instrument....I have a Silver flute...but I am DREAMING of a Gold one...or ROSE Gold...not only do they LOOK pretty they SOUND Amazing...

And they do make them in Platinum but they are just ridiciously expensive and sound terrible...the same with Titanium...looks awesome (whoo can get a purple flute) but sounds awful.

but the gold ones are super expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

DH likes tungsten.
What is that?
I've never heard of it.

I can't wear any of that "cheap" stuff, but if it's something that layered in gold, platinum, etc., I can get away with it - if it's got enough layering, that is.

Thankfully, I'm not allergic to titanium, b/c that's what they used for the "screws" in my back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Have you ever seen Hill Tribe silver? It's made in rural Thailand by whole villages of people sitting on the ground in front of their huts, working with almost-pure silver... so it has a rustic look and a white-silver color, much warmer than sterling. I love it! Here's a good example...

http://www.somerset-silver.com/New%2...ov_1_page5.htm
I've never seen that before. It's kinda pretty: it has a rustic antique look to it.

Another one that I really like but forgot to mention, is Black Hills gold. That stuff is cool!

Originally Posted by gemlady

For me it depends on the piece of jewelry. But budget wise, most of mine is sterling or gold-filled.
A lot of my jewelry is gold over silver. It's a lot cheaper to have it that way when you're on a limited income.
You still get the look you want, but you don't have to pay the price.