Lita's Blood Profile

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lita is my 6 year old Ragdoll.....She was near death 4 weeks ago and my vet kinda guessed at her diagnosis due to me being unemployed and poor. I took her in last Wednesday for a full panel. He gave me full credit as he knows my money situation. I went to see the vet today to get all the results. Everything is fine except for her kidney values are high. Her potassium level is low which is good. I have to continue giving here fluids from the IV for another 4 days every day. She will need the fluids the rest of her life maybe 2 times a week. I found if you warm up the bag of fluids to like 102 degrees.....Lita does not hate getting the treatment as much as it is like her own body temperature. When the bag is like 68 degrees....it is kinda like getting a cold shower I figure. The vet said we caught all this kidney stuff very early at least. He is giving me a powder drug to sprinkle on her food daily to help her. He will mail it to me as he was outta stock on it. I am gonna have to mix it with water and give it to her via a syringe because the other 5 cats will eat the food with the drug on it. He wants me to feed her a prescription Science Diet K/D wet food also for the rest of her life. I do not know how I am gonna do that with the 5 other cats around. He said she could live another 2-3 years if cared for properly.....or win the lottery so she can have a kidney transplant. Any and all opinions on this are appreciated

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with crf and have 5 cats.
I have to fee them all seperate.
Coco has k/d.
Cleo my new kitten Royal Canin kitten food.
The other 3 blue spa.
If we are going to be gone for a long day I give them k/d except fpr Cleo.
I put her on another room.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PM me

Kandie was given about 18 months and lived 4.5 yrs and NO meds ( at least in the conventional sense ... and no RX diets cept for infection times early on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I have a cat with crf and have 5 cats.
I have to fee them all seperate.
Coco has k/d.
Cleo my new kitten Royal Canin kitten food.
The other 3 blue spa.
If we are going to be gone for a long day I give them k/d except fpr Cleo.
I put her on another room.
Thanks for the info.......How do you do that if you work and have no one home to do that?? I live alone
I am thinking about just syringe feeding her 2 times a day in the bathroom. All my cats eat Nutro Natural Choice dry + they split a can of wet food between them every evening.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked I would put Coco in the livingroom and the other cats in the bedroom
What is your cats bun?
Cocos was 79 but i think it is worse now.
She seems kinda sick tonight.
Sharky what helped your cat live longer?
I hope your cat feels better.
Coco isnt even on sub q's yet.
She can not have her kidney panel until she is done with her baytril.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Sounds like you have a great vet willing to work with you.
Cats can live much longer with crf if treated. You caught this early from what you say and there is no reason the bun and creatinine can't get better.
Just so you know, fluids can be bought online
I am not a fan of the low protein diet. Please consider joining the yahoo crf group
Treatment of Chronic Renal Failure

If your cat is not in final stages, this is not want you want to do. You do not want to put your cat on the
Vets low protein diet. There are simply so many better options out there than to hand the poor cat a low amount of poor quality protein - which often results in a poor appetite and muscle wasting since the body is now robbing its own muscle mass to feed itself a decent quality and amount of protein.
. There are new thoughts on this and the thinking is it is not the amount of protein but the quality of protein that matters.
The Merck veterinary manual [www.merckvetmanual.com] says that cats need "4 g of protein of high biologic value per kg body wt/day". That's about 7 calories from protein per pound body weight per day. If a cat isn't a good eater and consumes, say, 20 calories per pound per day, then 7/20 = 35% of calories can safely be from protein. It must be high quality protein, which means meat, fish, milk, and eggs, and not grain or soy.

I am under the assumption that you have been feeding mostly dry foods. Many use a vegetable based protein instead of animal and that is part of the problem.. Your cat needs protein as it is a carnivore and cutting down on it will lead to other health issues and may cause faster degeneration.
You want to cut down on phosphorous (no fish allowed now)

The best way to do this is with a raw diet which you can make yourself or buy. (Making yourself is better) link provided at the bottom
If you are unwilling to do that then something like the non fish flavors of Wellness or Merrick with NO grains are good alternatives. Wysong is also a good canned choice. This list gives a breakdown. Remember you want low phosphorous
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodOld.html

You should be giving sub-Q fluids as needed.

You also will want to look into phosphorous binders. Something like aluminum hydroxide
Ask your vet or look into calcitrol

You may want to talk to the vet about having injectable Pepcid AC on hand or you can ask your vet and buy it in pill form (ac not plain pepcid) I give 1/4 tab for stomach upset which happens a lot in crf cats due to acid in the stomach. Before giving meds ask your vet as I am not a vet
I hope this stuff helps, here are many links for you
Making cat food
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm
other links. Read, read, read!!!!
http://www.felineoutreach.org/Educat...=KidneyDisease
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/kidn..._to_begin.html
http://www.felinecrf.org/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...ec=group&slk=3
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...ec=group&slk=5

About that vets diet. This report is for dogs but applies to cats
http://mousabilities.com/nutrition/c...protein_RD.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Opera/21...

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Please consider joining the yahoo crf group
Which one do you reccomend? There seem to be quite a few.

My puddy was diagnosed with CRF a couple weeks ago as well.

Good luck with Lita!

Jack had his frst Sub-Q a few hours ago today, and is doing notably better

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't want to repeat what I've posted previously...please go to and read at least the initial (as these have recommended links etc.) few messages in the CRF sticky thread at the top of this forum.

I wish you all the best with your kitty. Budget wise, def. check into buying supplies online, and do be sure to check out the link I gave (in the sticky thread) to jmpeerson's lists of dry and canned food as non-prescription foods cost less and can meet the parameters your vet may set. I did not use prescription foods for my crf kitties ever, and always ran what I was using (since if the cat won't eat it, there's no point in trying to feed it, imho) by her..and got her okay.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jackbombay

Which one do you reccomend? There seem to be quite a few.

My puddy was diagnosed with CRF a couple weeks ago as well.

Good luck with Lita!

Jack had his frst Sub-Q a few hours ago today, and is doing notably better
I belonged to this first one I am listing, and highly recommend either this one - Feline-Crf-Suport (a yahoo groups list) or the list that you can find a link to on www.felinecrf.org.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welp...... I got a copy of Lita's blood work today from the vet. All these figures are a week old and Lita has got 1,500 ML per day of fluids over the last 7 days so some of the levels are assumed to be lower today. I saw the vet today and he said to decrease the fluids to 2 times a week at 1,500 ML per time.....plus the drug Epakitin mixed into her wet food 2 times a day for the rest of her life. I can do this as I love her dearly and she is my favorite of my 6 cats
Lita is indoor only and is a purebred Ragdoll and is only 6 1/2 years old.

BUN 100
Creatinine 4.6
Calcium 12.6
Potassium 5.8
Na/K Ratio 27
HCT 28

I have other figures here.....but I thought that these were the major ones to be concerned with.

What are your opinions?

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

The bun and cal is high.
I am still checking numbers.
Thanks.......all the figures that I posted are in the "High range" on my paper from the vet

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the normal ranges from your vet?
All the numbers are high.
I have a Crf cat.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Approximate Normal Ranges for Common Tested Blood Values[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BUN [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14 - 36 MG/DL [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Creatinine [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].6 - 2.4 MG/DL [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calcium (Ca) [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8.2 - 10.8 MG/DL [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phosphorus (P) [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.4 - 8.2 MG/DL [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Potassium (K) [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.4 - 5.6 MEQ/L [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sodium (Na) [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]145 - 158 MEQ/L [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Packed Cell Volume (PCV) [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29% - 48% [/font]

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

Welp...... I got a copy of Lita's blood work today from the vet. All these figures are a week old and Lita has got 1,500 ML per day of fluids over the last 7 days so some of the levels are assumed to be lower today. I saw the vet today and he said to decrease the fluids to 2 times a week at 1,500 ML per time.....plus the drug Epakitin mixed into her wet food 2 times a day for the rest of her life. I can do this as I love her dearly and she is my favorite of my 6 cats
Lita is indoor only and is a purebred Ragdoll and is only 6 1/2 years old.

BUN 100
Creatinine 4.6
Calcium 12.6
Potassium 5.8
Na/K Ratio 27
HCT 28

I have other figures here.....but I thought that these were the major ones to be concerned with.

What are your opinions?
Please tell me you mean 150 ml of fluid sub-q? 1,500 ml is 1 full iv bag and another half of one.

Values are high, hct of 28 means cat is anemic, calcium is high as well ..hopefully with the adjustment of diet and keeping your kitty better hydrated, you will see the creatinine and bun drop.

In the mean time, just love her up and remember that the best way to get through this, is to treat your cat, not her numbers...go by how she responds to you, how she spends her day, what her quality of life is.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Please tell me you mean 150 ml of fluid sub-q? 1,500 ml is 1 full iv bag and another half of one.

Values are high, hct of 28 means cat is anemic, calcium is high as well ..hopefully with the adjustment of diet and keeping your kitty better hydrated, you will see the creatinine and bun drop.

In the mean time, just love her up and remember that the best way to get through this, is to treat your cat, not her numbers...go by how she responds to you, how she spends her day, what her quality of life is.
You ladies are posting so quickly......I do not have time to make corrections to my mistakes
The HCT level is "low" at 28...They are supposed to be between 29-48.....and the Na/K Ratio is "low" at 27 and supposed to be between 32-41......sorry about that.