im planning a holiday in the usa, but where to go?

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
as it says, i really want to come over to america, hopefully this year, but i really dont know where to make as my destination?

i wanna come and get a feel of the place and just chill, im not a beach bunny so i dont like the usual laying on a sunn lounger holidays, and im not into going to ibiza and having a large one either.

i like to see interesting things and places, and meet some real americans!

any ideas?

~xena~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think if I went to the US the Grand Canyon would be high on my list of places to visit,I've been told you can never really grasp the scale of it unless you see it for yourself lol

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come to Chicago!! It's a great city, there's tons and tons of stuff to do, you can get a direct flight, and you don't get any more "real American" than Chicagoans! (Just maybe don't come until summer
)

There are loads of great cities here, though. What kind of things do you like to do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
grand canyon! now your talking, i would love to see that! thats my kinda thing,

i guess i wanna do some sight seeing, i hear you guys over there are real friendly? and love the english?

chicago eh, and yosemite (as in sam?) its a big place america, i wish i had the money to really explore and travel all over!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

as it says, i really want to come over to america, hopefully this year, but i really dont know where to make as my destination?

i wanna come and get a feel of the place and just chill, im not a beach bunny so i dont like the usual laying on a sunn lounger holidays, and im not into going to ibiza and having a large one either.

i like to see interesting things and places, and meet some real americans!

any ideas?
*GASP* what's wrong with Australia?

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mount rushmore! i'm going to make a list of thing i fancy and then see hoe likely it is financially to go to which ones on the wish list.

canoeing? i cant swim, so im scared of water lol! what a sissy eh!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely New Orleans. It is a great place.

What about New York City?

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want to chill, come to Minne-snow-da. We do have the biggest mall in the country. On second thought, yeah, probably not, lol

I've been to all the lower 48 states, and if you're an outdoorsy person, I'd recommend National Parks in the West. When we went out there, a lot of Japanese and German tourists rented RVs and drove to several different ones. If gas prices stay low, that would be a fun thing to do. Look up Arches, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce, which are all in close proximity. Another good swing through is the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. The travel guide Fodor's has a nice little section on the major parks in the west (there are a ton of little ones too), including a section on how to pick which parks are best to go to.

If you're looking for more city, I'd say the east coast. You can go to New York and then take the train down to DC. There's a lot of history there too. You can see where we yanks kicked your behinds, ehm, at Yorktown. Just kidding!

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah NY is a must i thibk, only think that puts me off it is that is seems a little cold (in a people sense) like london is here, everyone is in a rush etc.

what i really need is you guys to put me up for a night while i go from state to state lol!

tour or sights and tcs members lol!!!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the US is huge! Do you want an urban vibe and play tourist? Catch music and or theater? Tons of food, easy to get around, but kinda $$$ and only a 5 or maybe 6 hour flight? Then I would head to New York City. Yes, they are real Americans, but New Yorkers!

If you want more scenic, lots of that, too. Grand Canyon would be amazing. I have never been... New England is lovely, but may be too much like parts of England, hilly, craggy, ocean, quaint... but very American! Lots of lobster, oysters and clams!!!

We have deserts here! Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and even parts of Colorado (high desert). Then there is sin city - Las Vegas... lots of good deals to be had there because of the lousy economy. And you could take a tour to the Grand Canyon from there.

The Rocky mountains are stunning!

Also try www.tripadvisor.com. I am a member on that site, as well. And it's a well moderated, friendly place to ask questions, get advice. I'm a "destination expert" for Detroit, Michigan.
Hey, it's not that bad a place to go, seriously!! As a car guy you might like it here!
But for a first time visit to the US, it would not be my first choice.

And yes, as Tari said, Chicago is terrific, but only go in summer or early fall. I think you would be stunned at the size of the Great Lakes - Chicago is on Lake Michigan. It looks like and often acts like an ocean... technically, they are inland seas.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all New Yorkers are cold...

They just talk fast!

You want warm people... Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin's the way to go... Gotta have some way to stay warm in all the cold! Try some lutefisk. (Okay, really, don't! Fish jello! Yuck!)

You could hit New Orleans and see the end of the Mississippi and Minnesota and walk over the beginning of the river...

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well what can i say, thanks thats pretty informative!

maybe right what your saying about new england, we have got the quaint craggy thing nailed over here.

i know what you mean about tha car-detroit thing too, but doesnt look so appealing in regard to not getting mugged etc lol.

i need to put some serious thought into this, i think i need a few trips really dont i!

and yes "forensic" warm people is just what i want to meet! so maybe your right with Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin???

oh decissions!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

I've been to all the lower 48 states, and if you're an outdoorsy person, I'd recommend National Parks in the West. When we went out there, a lot of Japanese and German tourists rented RVs and drove to several different ones. If gas prices stay low, that would be a fun thing to do. Look up Arches, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce, which are all in close proximity.
I've done this tour. Fly into Las Vegas (now that's a fun city), rent some wheels and hit in this order: Zion, Bryce, the north rim of the Grand Canyon, then head through Monument Valley to go up to Canyonlands and Arches (all of these are national parks). There are sights all along the way including Indian reservations, petroglyphs, etc. There are a lot of German tourists that take this route, and they do rent R.V.'s to stay out of hotels. If you go, do this before October when the snows start to hit the north rim. And if you go to the Grand Canyon, you must catch a sunset over the canyon. I sat thru one that was so beautiful that the people around me gave it a standing ovation.

For big cities, I've been to quite a few of them, but love Chicago and D.C. the best. Chicago's lakefront has it all - nightlife, museums, beaches, shopping, parks. D.C. has the best museums outside of Paris.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm about 3-4 hours from the Grand Canyon, depending on what route I drive. Maybe we could meet up for a day (or more) if you decide to put that on your itinerary.