Dying kitten

indyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have on of three of my 6or7-week old foster kittens dying as I type. information:

Cannot take to vet(mother insists not)
Has slight upper respiritory illness (sneezing, snotty nose, and slight eye puss)
I have her wrapped in a blanket
Feeding her i syringe of watered down chicken broth every 45 min.
She is now getting up every few minutes to stretch, the lies back down to sleep

The strange thing is that she was the least sick until this afternoon.

Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who are you fostering the kittens for? Can you call someone at a rescue to come and get them? Little kittens go down hill very fast. Ohhhh, I hope someone can help you

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not as a substitute to going to a vet, but...

Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's syringe feeding, wouldn't something like KMR be better than chicken broth? Or soupy wet food?

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want you to know that it is nothing you are doing wrong I am sure. This just happens and there is nothing you can do about it, you are wonderful for trying, so be happy you are, no matter the outcome.

First, I would try to rub some karro syrup (corn syrup) on her gums, this may help to give her a little boost.
I am not sure about the brooth, mabey try giving it less often, I am not sure, but every 45 mins seems too soon.
Make sure she is warm, if she isn't warm enough she will not eat and it can be harmful to try and force her to, if she is cold or you have her lying upside down like a baby, it can cause her to assperate and get the fluid in her lungs and that can cause her to get worse.
just try to keep her warm and comfortable, once they get too far gone even vets have a hard time bringing them around.
I would mabey try to give her some KMR or a little water with the karo syrup, instead of broth. But make sure she isn't cold first.
Good luck, I hope it turns out well for kitty and you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is having small convulsions and jerking her head back and rapidly inhaling.

ehhhhhh....

I'm going to see if There is any corn syrup

indyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She stopped twitching. I gave her .1 ml corn syrup and she instantly stood up and began licking at it

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IndyBoo

she is having small convulsions and jerking her head back and rapidly inhaling.

ehhhhhh....

I'm going to see if There is any corn syrup
Awe sweetie, you are trying but there may be nothing you can do for her. try the syrup if you can, but is there any one you can call, like amyscrazy suggested? mabey the rescue can give you some advice or take her to the vets?
I am sorry you have to go through this with her.

~xena~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would get some Olbas Oil or menthol and put some on a cloth in the room,It will open up his airways and nasal passage and help him to breath.
It is safe for cats to breath in and will work within minutes.

Hope she's going to pull through

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Broth is great for people, I would switch to KMR, the milk would not hurt her, the fluid in her nose makes it hard to suck or breath, the head back could be her way of trying to clear her snotty nose. If you don't want to give her milk at least baby electrolite replacement. I would give her as much liquid as she will take about every hour, and watch her pee out put. The kitten may need a little stimulation to help her pee, so that may be on you to do. Hope all goes well.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I hope the poor lil kit is still hanging in there!I am not a vet but here are some recipes I used when I found some kittens after a hurricane(couldn't get to the store) Good luck and I hope the kitten makes it!try calling around to different rescue groups and spca,humane society and such also call as many vets as you can ask advice as well as telling them your situation maybe it will fall on sympathetic ears!!again good luck!

HOMEMADE RECIPE FOR KITTEN FORMULA

3 oz. condensed milk
3 oz. water
4 oz. plain yogurt (NOT low-fat)
3 large or 4 small egg yolks

ANOTHER KITTEN DIET

1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg yolk
1 drop mulitple infant vitamins (Please ask your vet)

Mix well or blend together in a blender for smoothest consistency.

DOSAGE (Divide and feed 4 times daily)
Age (in weeks) ml /per grams of body weight /per day 1 week13 ml2 weeks 17 ml3 weeks * 20 ml (* encourage solid food) 4 weeks 22 ml
Always remember to consult your vet if you are ever unsure of feeding amounts or requirements. Never use these homemade diets for long term use.

KITTEN REHYDRATION FORMULA

This formula can be used for kittens suffering from dehydration and diarrhea. This mixture is thick but drinkable. It is just as effective as glucose-based oral solutions in preventing and treating dehydration and has the added advantage of reducing the volume and duration of diarrhea.

Cereal-based oral rehydration solution can be made by mixing:

1/2 cup dry, precooked infant's rice cereal
2 cups of water
1/4 teaspoon salt.

NOTE: This solution should only be used temporarily. If you think your kitten is suffering dehydration and/or severe diarrhea, do not hesitate to see your vet immediately. Dehydration and persistent diarrhea in young kittens and cats can lead to serious organ failure, fever, shock, malnutrition and other serious health conditions.

At three weeks or so, you can start training the babies to eat food in a dish. Do so by mixing either dry or canned kitten food with the milk formula and mush it until it is a thick liquid. Go ahead and use your blender, and pretend you're making a milkshake. You'll probably need to "prime" the kitty by putting a bit of the mixture on your finger tip, then showing her the saucer. As the kitten learns to eat and enjoy her "mush", you can gradually reduce the amount of milk replacement formula.

Finally, she can graduate to solid kitten food. Many cat owners provide dry food to be eaten at will, supplemented with a small serving of canned food once or twice a day. Canned food remaining in the can should be refrigerated immediately after opening, and the next serving can be warmed in a microwave for just a minute or so. Uneaten canned food in the plate should also not be left out after the kitten has had her fill, as it can spoil rapidly.

At the same time your kitten is learning to eat from a dish, she can also learn to drink water from a dish. Use a sturdy ceramic bowl and place it where the kitten can find it easily. You may have to dabble your fingers in the water at first to show the kitten what it is. Don't be surprised if there is a little splashing and water fun before kitty discovers it is to be taken internally.

The Litter Thing

Use a low-sided box for training - the lid to a shoe box would work. A pellet-type litter is generally recommended, but not the clumping style. Kittens will experiment with eating litter and the clumping type is murder on the intestines. Once the kitten starts eating on its own, just put her in the box around 15 minutes after eating. Scratch the litter a bit with your finger to show her what it's all about. If she hops out, put her back in again a couple times, then leave her alone. If she makes a mistake and poops on the floor, pick a small amount up and put it in the box to show her where it belongs. She'll get the idea sooner or later, and more likely sooner.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate seeing threads like this when we get no closure

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you could take the kitten to a rescue group? You are doing a great job at helping him/her, but it seems like there needs to be more than just the basic stuff done.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a pinch I've given goat's milk...
If the kitten is over weaning age I have done Nutri-cal or similar just to get some nutrition in.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 6-7 weeks of age, shouldn't the kitten be past the "fading kitten syndrome" phase, usually? The kitten should really be weaning or at least working in that direction. Maybe I'm wrong there...but this is really something that a vet needs to tend to...it will most likely be very treatable with the right antibiotic or medicine. And then, that leads me to my next question...which is, why would a rescue group allow a family to foster animals that will then refuse the animals medical attention in the event of an emergency??? Won't most reputable organizations screen their foster families better than this???

There is no reason why this kitten should be suffering, and no reason why this kitten shouldn't be seen by a vet, particularly if it's an upper respiratory infection, or something of that nature. I would like to know what rescue organization is allowing these people to foster.

Sorry for sounding so harsh, but it just strikes me as very bizarre, and highly negligent.

indyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday, she seemed to be doing a little better but she still wasn't eating so I forcefed her some kma and water through a syringe. A while later I put food in her mouth, on piece at a time, and she actually ate a little. I'm going to convince my mom to take her to the vet because she is looking weaker this morning.

Jake

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CALL THE RESCUE!!!! Maybe they will even come and get the kitten. If it has been sick for this many days it really needs to see a vet.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the kitten. I agree about calling the rescue. When i had to give up Tinker's babies this week i called them and asked where to take them. they immediately asked my address and in less than 30 minutes they were here picking them up.

PLEASE do this, it's critical to the life of that precious kitten

indyboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning, we took it to the shelter and they said it had Feline Panleukopenia or fpv which is an extremely contagious virus that attacks the immune system. The other 2 kittens most likely have it and it can lay dormant for up to a year. This sucks for my other 2 house cats. We are keeping the two in quarantine and bleached/pinesolled the entire house along with a butload of vacuuming. We are taking the others to the animal shelter tomorrow. As for the other kitten, she is now an