In the Womb: Cats

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did anybody see it last night? It was on the National Geographic Channel. I had seen the previews for it but completely forgot it was on. I caught the 2nd half hour of the Dog episode, then watched the Cat one. It was good. They show you the kittens developing inside the mother, and a lion cub developing inside of a lioness. It was GREAT. Did anyone else see it? What did you think?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds so cool - we don't get a lot of the cable stuff, so I miss out on this kind of thing. Would have loved to seen it.

I did notice that in the very begining (say first 2 weeks) if you compare a kitten embryo and a human embryo, they look very much alike!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
^Yeah.. I did see huge similarities when it comes to the way the embryos look. The dogs kind of look the same too. It said, that MOST mammal embryos look alot alike in the first stages of pregnancy. It was a good show, id like to see more animals.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never find out about these shows until after the fact! I have had an interest in embryology for a number of years now, and am still amazed by how similar different embryos develop and appear. I have a bovine embryo (collected from a cow who passed unexpectedly) that would fool anyone as human as long as they didnt notice the mini hooves. Thats the only give away. Generally for most mammals, the presence of hooves and/or tails is the only real obvious give-away. Mouse embryos are as identical to rat embryos as they come - only smaller. I can not distinguish rat from rabbit from gunea pig etc. too early in embryonic development...its crazy how similar everything can be.

Anywhoo, no TIVO here, so if you find out it is on again, please let us know!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl

It's going to be on this Friday at 10 pm, Saturday at 1 am, and Sunday at 2 pm.
OH thanks. I missed it. Now I know when to watch it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
^I think it is the same show, but when i was watching it, it was saying In the Womb, not Animals In the Womb, but maybe im wrong? I dont know..

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect it may be the same show...I recorded it, but didn't get to watch it yet... I did see a few minutes before I had to turn off the TV and go to bed...I saw what looked like some gorgeous bengals...

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone interested. This show is re-airing tonight.

It's on at 9pm CST on National Geographic.

You can also catch the "In the womb:dog" at 8PM CST.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I happened on this show by chance last night, so just saw the last half hour. Glad to know it's re-airing on Sunday.

I loved the way you could see the babies' fur floating in the fluid, and the whole thing about the kittens' paw starting to naturally doing the motion of coming up to the mouth....even while developing in the womb.

Fascinating show!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind, those shots were computer generated. they weren't real. The only real shots you see are the grainy ones that are all gold. showing the animals running and doing stuff. all the real clear stuff is computer graphics. Although, they did say they are scientifically accurate. But for some reason it just isn't the same for me.

Regardless, was a great show. it's so interesting. The one for dogs was good too.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Keep in mind, those shots were computer generated. they weren't real. The only real shots you see are the grainy ones that are all gold. showing the animals running and doing stuff. all the real clear stuff is computer graphics. Although, they did say they are scientifically accurate. But for some reason it just isn't the same for me.
Dang CGI!!! I thought they miraculously had a tiny little camera inside the mother that showed these perfectly forming kittens, with the little tongues hanging out...

......it was still cool, though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have loved to have seen that. But I don't get that channel. I think it's available in another channel package, but if I remember correctly that would have been the only channel I would have watched out of the 4 or 5 that came with the package and I didn't feel I'd watch it enough to warrant the extra expense.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes and no. It's the same series, but they changed it a little for the U.S.

I know this because I downloaded the UK version in HD. I actually downloaded two UK versions. one of them had absolutely no narration and was rather boring to watch. i downloaded them because I wanted to watch them when this thread was psted. but I couldn't find a US version.

So i think they just narrated it in a U.S. voice, but they did change a little of it.