Sample sent in for TF parasite test, anyone know how long for results?

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I can't update my original topics title (located here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182604), so I decided to make a new one.

On Saturday, I took Ozzy, who was worse in the loose stool department, to the vet to have a fecal done and sent in to test for TF. He didn't have anything in him then, which isn't surprising, as I saw him go right before we went to the vet.
So I took a vial home and collected a sample myself, and took it back to the vet to send off. We actually just switched to the Tidy Cats Breeze system, which worked out great to collect a sample (since it's so loose, it kind of drips through the grate onto the pad, gross, I know) since I didn't have to worry about any litter getting in there.
We're only a couple hours from Raleigh, NC, where NC State is, so I'm hoping it gets there by Tuesday.

Anyone that has had this test done know which day of the week they do the testing? I read on the form that they do it once a week, so I'm hoping it's on a Wed. or later on in the week. How long did it take everyone to gets results back?

I feel bad, but I'm actually hoping that TF is the answer. Ozzy's stools are very 'cow pie' like, and have been for the past 7-10 days. I didn't want to give him anything to see if it'd help (probiotics, etc.), because I didn't want to compromise the TF test. He's acting completely normal, but it's just gross, and I'm SO sick of it! Brody is better now, he seems to go in spurts, but he's still not normal even in his better stages. If it's not TF, their breeder suggested a round of Clavamox & Albon, so we'll see what happens!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kady! I'm glad to see you got the test run. I had it run twice and both times it took a minimum of a week to get back. The first time it actually took a bit longer for some reason, probably because it was delivered at the end of the week or something. Please let us know as soon as you get the result!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've had the tests for coccidia and giardia already, right? Because those two seem to be the common ones we run into.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kady, so glad you are having the test done. I don't remember which day of the week my vet sent mine in but it also took a week to get the answer, which was faxed to my vet. Keep us posted.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You've had the tests for coccidia and giardia already, right? Because those two seem to be the common ones we run into.
I believe that TF is every bit as common as Giardia and Coccidia but is not as well known as yet. At an international cat show better than 33% of the cats tested were postive. It is now being recognized in many countries and it has been estimated that as many 1/3 of cats may be infected with this parasite. It is becoming a recognized pathogen problem in catteries and shelters world wide. My hope is that there will be more awareness and testing will become routine in chronic diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I figured it'd be at least a week. Hopefully we'll know something by next week.

Yes, both cats have been tested for all 'common' parasites, and have always come back negative. They have both been treated with Metronidizole & have been wormed. Tried Prednisone on both and saw no improvement with Ozzy, some with Brody. Food changes have been done, and still little to no improvement. We've been battling loose stools for over a year now. Both cats have every symptom of TF, so I'm fairly certain that's what it is. We'll see!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got a call from the vet, NEGATIVE.

His breeder sent me Clavamox & Albon to try (gave me enough for a week for both cats), so I'm wondering if I should do that to see if it will do anything. I feel like I've tried everything else, so I guess it can't hurt.

This so frustrating.
Oh - if anyone can tell me why I can't modify my original post to put an update in the title, that'd be great. I feel like an idiot, but I can't seem to find anywhere to edit!