Catnip Spray: Opinions/Experiences?

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if people had any experiences with the various spray catnip products that are out there. I was thinking it might be useful for "reenergizing" some well-loved but older toys or even giving new, but not very catnippy toys a little more umph. My cats love catnip and their fav toys have been ones made by a local gardener who grows what seems like high-powered catnip. She is no longer making the toys and none of the regular store-bought catnip toys seem to draw the same level of attention from my kitties, so I am looking for other alternatives.

If anyone would share any opinions or experiences with these products, I'd appreciate it!
Are they effective?
Any strange reactions?
Anyone heard of any safety issues?

Thanks!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i use it to spray on new scratchers, etc. where just catnip wouldn't work. for toys, i refill w/fresh catnip usually. altho microwaving them seems to add new 'life' for a time, as well.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used the spray in the past to put on new beds, scratchers, etc. to attract them.

My boys are spoiled, they just get new toys when their old ones wear out so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never tried it for refreshing toys but it might work. With that I would keep in mind that toys usually come with catnip inside them, when you spray them with the liquid you are coating the outside instead so it would get in their mouth when they chew on the toys. I would spray lightly at first.

I used to spray it on the rug/carpet during playtime to get them excited but last week Mulder had a seizure while playing with me on the catnip sprayed rug. My vet said he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think the catnip could have caused the seizure but just to be sure to only use it in very small quantities and only on things I can take away like beds, blankets, or toys instead of on the floor or on stationary objects like carpet or furniture (even cat furniture).

A little OT but in regard to your cats not responding as well to store bought catnip toys, my boys went nuts for the catnip mice sold here: http://www.ragtimepetcollars.com/catcollars.html.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have some that I've sprayed on Harley's new bed to get her interested in checking it out. As far as using it on her toys, though, I find it doesn't get the same reaction it would if I refilled them or rubbed them with fresh catnip.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spray Da Bird since it has no catnip to begin with. As far as other toys are concerned, I keep them in a plastic container with loose catnip, always basting in nip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the input! I may give the spray a try. I have a basting baggie with catnip in it, too, but the catnip from the store doesn't seem to get them sparking like this home grown stuff from the retired gardener.

Thanks from me & the girls!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO its a waste of money. I tried it once - cats never took to it. They prefer the strong dried catnip you have in the toys.

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to grow my own catnip. Tabitha goes mental over it,fresh or dried. But Daisy screws her face up at it ! I dont think she likes the smell at all. All my cats ive ever had have loved it especially the catnip bubbles (guess they've never been too fussy!) Im going to try Daisy on honeysuckle to see what she makes of that!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the spray a LONG time ago - IMO its a waste of money. The cats don't respond or like it at all. I do better with strong catnip toys or fresh catnip plants.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat absolutely loves catnip, to be honest, its worth a try even if your cat doesn't take to it because if they do like it, they will love it!!! I have used this one as a spray

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details...44&ProdId=2865

He loves it and I spray it on things like his cat tree and anything that I want hom to focus on more than something else. Its a great way to distract them from your things and to attract them to their things!!! It's definately worth a try. I also use normal cat nip and he loves that too.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fulpmes

the catnip from the store doesn't seem to get them sparking like this home grown stuff from the retired gardener.
Have you tried growing your own catnip and drying it for them? I know they sell live catnip plants at the petstore, maybe they would respond better to that?

rayjiano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I created my own catnip spray and the friends I gave the final product to said their cats loved it. It is easy to make and probably cheaper than buying it in a pet store. I will probably make some more once my kitty arrives and we move
I am the kitty drug lord!

I am thinking about making other products out of catnip once I have the time. Also, once I have a full lab at my discretion (after school), I intend to make the ultimate catnip! I will not go into details for patenting purposes; but, it will be optimal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rayjiano

I created my own catnip spray and the friends I gave the final product to said their cats loved it. It is easy to make and probably cheaper than buying it in a pet store. I will probably make some more once my kitty arrives and we move
I am the kitty drug lord!

I am thinking about making other products out of catnip once I have the time. Also, once I have a full lab at my discretion (after school), I intend to make the ultimate catnip! I will not go into details for patenting purposes; but, it will be optimal!
How is it that you make your own spray? It sounds like that is different from your patent plans, so if you wouldn't mind sharing, that would be great. Thanks!